Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Most Flights to PVG got delayed on Dec 21

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2016, 2:03 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Hello!
Does anyone have insights into why most flights to PVG got delayed on Dec 21? I will have a flight coming up on Dec 24 and it's worrisome .

Thanks
Old Dec 22, 2016, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Was at HKG yesterday. Huge delays from Beijing on Dec 20 (some also from PVG). from 2 to 5 hours and some cancellations. The airport had a sign indicating Chinese ATC controls as the cause.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: CX
With all the smog going on, I wouldn't have been surprised.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Was at PVG on 21 Dec

Basically it was very foggy that morning and many flights were delayed to PVG, resulting in delayed turnaround

You can see nearly no delay for flights with planes stayed overnight in PVG, but nearly all turnaround flights were delayed
Old Dec 22, 2016, 11:50 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses!

sscywong: May I know does the situation at PVG improve? I still see some delays/cancelations from here to there, esp CX364 on 22/12 was delayed from 1730 till 0600 on 23/12.

Thank you!
Old Dec 22, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by brunos
Was at HKG yesterday. Huge delays from Beijing on Dec 20 (some also from PVG). from 2 to 5 hours and some cancellations. The airport had a sign indicating Chinese ATC controls as the cause.
China ATC is a common excuse for all delays now. For this specific case it's the smog attack from the west passing through Shanghai.

Smog is becoming a great health issue that some cities have PM2.5 rating passing 1,000 and actually broke the meter. I have already handed in a list of cities in China to my company that I won't go into.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 6:55 pm

Programs: Macro Polo - Cathay
Originally Posted by kikid
Thank you for your responses!

sscywong: May I know does the situation at PVG improve? I still see some delays/cancelations from here to there, esp CX364 on 22/12 was delayed from 1730 till 0600 on 23/12.

Thank you!
Unlikely.

These few days the heavy smog (air pollution) is dragging the whole Eastern/Central/Northern China.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 8:03 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Yesterday & Today, so far, we have blue skies in Beijing after literally quite a breathtaking previous 5 days. Unfortunately it's not forecast to last last long.

There was quite a peak in the pollution on Wednesday and according to friends travelling back to the UK from PEK, were one of the lasts flights to get out before there was a significant drop in aircraft movement at the the airport.

Here's hoping for some strong winds to disperse the smog a bit more.

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Dec 22, 2016, 11:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thank you for the heads up!! Safe travels and Happy Holidays!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.