Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX service to DM members while traveling on economy

Old Dec 18, 2016, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SPG Platinum, Amex SPG, Chase CSR, Citi TYP

I must give my compliment to CX for its really good service while I was traveling with my family on economy during the holiday season. On the two flights we took, both in-flight service managers took great care of us from the very beginning when we boarded the aircrafts, greeted us, hung our coats, and came over constantly to check upon us. In fact, both in-flight service managers personally served us during the entire flights with pillows, blankets, Evian water, meals, and etc. Our food was served way before the regular meal service and our tables were cleared before the others. We were provided extra coffee and tea, obviously not a part of the economy class meal service. The in-flight service manager from one flight even provided us with some food from the business class (not the whole meal, but hey…). On one flight, before disembarking, we were all taken to the business class to get off with the business class passengers. Any other similar experiences from DM members?
Old Dec 18, 2016, 9:50 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
For flights without too many DMs they are pretty attentive. If you ever fly say PVG-HKG where there are 60 DM, 60 GO, the rest SL then not really (I don't blame them).

The one thing I always appreciate is the extra bottle of water, at least they seem to get that most of the time.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 10:06 pm

Programs: MPC DM, SPG Plat
I just had my first flight as a newly minted DM. No special attention in J though I noticed a lot of black luggage tags.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 10:09 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by casbroker
I just had my first flight as a newly minted DM. No special attention in J though I noticed a lot of black luggage tags.
that's the irony of it...they've pushed it to J and F class fliers, where we get "less" services as DM because more is included with the ticket anyway.

what route were you on?

DM is really lovely when there aren't many others on board.

And of course, it's also reaallly good in economy.

The super DM heavy routes are PEK, PVG, and SIN. Followed up by TPE, JFK, LHR, SFO and YVR.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 10:58 pm

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
My recent LHR-HKG RTN's a tale of two sides..

Outbound, I had amazing service in Y as a MPC Gold just as the OP described, first for meals and nothing was to much trouble. Pressing the call bell for a coffee (which with some airline brings a ''what do you want'') and the staff always delivered a smiling service.
The only exception of not being allowed to disembark with the J class, but I can live with that. Within hours of arriving at my hotel, I filed a compliments message to say thank you..

Inbound, not even a hello Mr Engineering Travel, and as above more like why are you pressing the call bell...No Xmas cards from me then..

Slightly OT, but I suspect Outbound was a HK crew and Inbound was a London crew, the accent's gave it away..

All in, that first customer experience promotes loyalty, the second type of service, does not.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by casbroker
Yeah, you definitely don't feel much difference while flying business other than being greeted by in-flight service manager, absolutely nothing while flying first
Old Dec 18, 2016, 11:07 pm

Basically, it is just this....

"The more you have, the less you demand........"

(Audio)
roy2016 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 1:11 am

Programs: MPC DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by QRC3288
that's the irony of it...they've pushed it to J and F class fliers, where we get "less" services as DM because more is included with the ticket anyway.

what route were you on?

DM is really lovely when there aren't many others on board.

And of course, it's also reaallly good in economy.

The super DM heavy routes are PEK, PVG, and SIN. Followed up by TPE, JFK, LHR, SFO and YVR.
Indeed, I was on HKG - PEK. The service was by no means bad but no change from the standard J offer. To be honest, I wouldn't expect anything more. When I was a Senator on Swiss, the perk was getting your meal order taken first. That always got me strange looks from my neighbors.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 1:16 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
On a particular flight when there were a lot of DMs and Emeralds (60+ from what i recall), the ISM during her announcement said, "To our Marco Polo Member, specially to our Diamond and other OneWorld Emerald members, It is a pleasure to see you again."
Old Dec 19, 2016, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
On a particular flight when there were a lot of DMs and Emeralds (60+ from what i recall), the ISM during her announcement said, "To our Marco Polo Member, specially to our Diamond and other OneWorld Emerald members, It is a pleasure to see you again."
That's quite shocking there could be that many DMs and Emeralds on one flight. Is that even statistically possible, whichever those routes are? The few times I remember when I was sitting a bit behind in the business class cabin on various routes, I saw that the ISM greeted me and 1 to 2 other passengers in the business class cabins.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 1:41 am

I fly the DM heavy CX715 and CX716 HKG SIN almost every other week, and often peek at the post-it pad where the crew note down the list of DM pax in YCL. (Although I'm convinced the crew often wonder what I'm staring so hard at).

The most I've ever counted on my aisle alone in Y was 22, so 60 DMs and EMs on a single flight for the SIN route definitely sounds possible to me.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 1:45 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by Safetravel3
That's quite shocking there could be that many DMs and Emeralds on one flight. Is that even statistically possible, whichever those routes are? The few times I remember when I was sitting a bit behind in the business class cabin on various routes, I saw that the ISM greeted me and 1 to 2 other passengers in the business class cabins.
If you think that's shocking, you should see the Qantas Platinums on some of their A380 long-haul peak departures to LAX. Let's ignore other oneworld emeralds and anything below Qantas Gold; there's sometimes 30+ Platinums, a dozen or so Platinum Ones, and then usually a few VIPs/Chairman's.

The FA's all have it neatly tabulated on their tablet.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 1:50 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
I think it was PEK or PVG.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 3:49 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
I have been on a flight PEK-HKG with 40+ Diamond members before in Y class alone. This isn't Emerald, this is DM only. I forgot to ask about J. The ISM informed me she was saying hi to Diamonds only, water and meals first for Diamonds only, and that was it. No greeting for Emeralds, GOs, or anyone else.

It can get pretty crazy to/from PEK, PVG and SIN. IME, those three destinations are unlike any other in terms of # of Diamonds on board. You can get a lot to/from TPE sometimes, same with JFK, LHR and whatnot, but PEK, PVG and SIN are always in a class of their own (particularly PEK and PVG, which seem to be filled with businesspeople on all days of the week and all flights, whereas SIN some flights are clearly leisure travel). I flew back from SIN a few weeks ago in J on 773; we "only" had 11 DMs in J class alone. I don't know how many Emeralds in J, nor how many DM in the back. Same thing was followed; only DMs were given first meal preference.

The sweet spot is when you're DM and there are just a few of you.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 4:14 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
I have been on a flight PEK-HKG with 40+ Diamond members before in Y class alone. This isn't Emerald, this is DM only. I forgot to ask about J. The ISM informed me she was saying hi to Diamonds only, water and meals first for Diamonds only, and that was it. No greeting for Emeralds, GOs, or anyone else.

It can get pretty crazy to/from PEK, PVG and SIN. IME, those three destinations are unlike any other in terms of # of Diamonds on board. You can get a lot to/from TPE sometimes, same with JFK, LHR and whatnot, but PEK, PVG and SIN are always in a class of their own (particularly PEK and PVG, which seem to be filled with businesspeople on all days of the week and all flights, whereas SIN some flights are clearly leisure travel). I flew back from SIN a few weeks ago in J on 773; we "only" had 11 DMs in J class alone. I don't know how many Emeralds in J, nor how many DM in the back. Same thing was followed; only DMs were given first meal preference.

The sweet spot is when you're DM and there are just a few of you.

I normally fly SYD-HKG-HGH.

With HGH, most of the time I would be the only DM.

With SYD, most of the time there would be 1-2 DMs and 2-4 OWEs (according to the little yellow sticker FA put on their trolley).

However, I've never had J meal brought to me in Y. I did request PEY meal few times when I was hungry, got it every single time. I have had J wines, cheese, nuts, etc varies times.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.