Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX service to DM members while traveling on economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX service to DM members while traveling on economy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2016, 10:20 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Seems that you always have bad luck on your side...was it PEK route?

Perhaps sometimes its important to have a bit of necessary evil (i.e. a bit of DYKWIA) to make things happen...just saying...
Nope TPE and PVG... DM heavy anyway...

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I guess that your birthdays were special - instead of upgrading you...
So nowadays I upgrade myself by using ex-TPE J tickets for my own birthday trip But too bad business trips are still in Y......

But they keep upgrading me during my membership anniversary day

Originally Posted by Ausriver
It sounds like they might not even have you in the system. Did you get your miles credited within couple of days?
Yes...

But the inconsistency in services I had on board is too significant... Considering that I'm still flying around 60 sectors a year such expectation gap is certainly making me annoyed on board quite frequently...

Adding:
At least PVG ground granted me a standby seat today so I managed to get home for dinner on time...

There's around 10 DMs went through the waitlist and got on the flight.... Sort of interestingly the PVG ground put 4 DMs on row 38DEFG (KA 33C) and definitely first time I saw 4 DMs not knowing each other sitting together side by side...

Last edited by sscywong; Dec 21, 2016 at 10:37 am
Old Dec 21, 2016, 3:53 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sscywong
Nope TPE and PVG... DM heavy anyway...

So nowadays I upgrade myself by using ex-TPE J tickets for my own birthday trip But too bad business trips are still in Y......

But they keep upgrading me during my membership anniversary day

Yes...

But the inconsistency in services I had on board is too significant... Considering that I'm still flying around 60 sectors a year such expectation gap is certainly making me annoyed on board quite frequently...

Adding:
At least PVG ground granted me a standby seat today so I managed to get home for dinner on time...

There's around 10 DMs went through the waitlist and got on the flight.... Sort of interestingly the PVG ground put 4 DMs on row 38DEFG (KA 33C) and definitely first time I saw 4 DMs not knowing each other sitting together side by side...
Maybe they will know each other after greeting.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 5:30 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Maybe they will know each other after greeting.
Haha ^

They were probably unfortunate enough that there were still four seats left in Y...
Old Dec 22, 2016, 6:11 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by cysyuen
Just got back from CTU via KA today. ISM greeted me and i just think she has well overdone the greetings i.e. she keeps saying thank you, welcome... to me whatever i do, even when i take a drink from her.

I told her she doesn't need to be so nice to me but she said “no it's okay thank you for flying with us all the time”, even though i just do it very occasionally, mostly as redemption...

I am not saying it's bad to be nice but i think she is too scared that i will complain so she tried very hard if you know what i mean.
Hands down the most over-the-top services I can remember are on CTU, CKG and CSX on KA. Ive flown them each a number of segments. I was the only DM on at least a few occasions, and just a few of us on the other. My guess is that's the reason more than anything. They really overdo it - I'm not complaining, saying that in a good way - when you're the only DM on board.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 2:14 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
When flying KA to china, some times there will be other pax asking FA for "bottle of water" after they saw SP gives us water. And it's kind of fun to see they get turned down.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 5:24 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
When flying KA to china, some times there will be other pax asking FA for "bottle of water" after they saw SP gives us water. And it's kind of fun to see they get turned down.
I saw someone asked after the FA gave me water. The FA returned with a small bottle (the type served at meal) instead.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 8:23 pm

Programs: CX Silver
Christmas

Was greeted as a SL on Christmas Day back to TPE with about 90% load. Wasn't sure if it was (1) due to Christmas, (2) SP finding a fellow countryman, or (3) a new policy, which I highly doubt it is. Was a good flight nonetheless. Nightmare begins after landing to find a TPE bursting at the seams and congested highways leading to city.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, CX MPO DM
Resurrecting this thread with a few recent data points of experiences as DM in YCL. Some may or may not be SOP - these are based purely on observations.
  • Before taxiing, FP comes around to distribute Evian bottled water (or generic bottled water in KA) and *sometimes* take your meal orders. If you are travelling with a non-DM companion, he/she may or may not get the water too (usually yes, the crew will proactively offer the same to your companion too - looks like a function of supply).
  • FP also goes around to greet GO members sometimes. GO members do not get water but if they ask, they may get at least a generic bottle which is typically given out at mealtimes.
  • Sometimes you are proactively shoved a pillow and blanket (if that flight is one which does not provide a set in every seat).
  • If the FP does take your meal orders during water distribution, your meal may or may not be served first. But even if not served first, the BC usually seems to know that you have ordered something.
  • Sometimes, the FP also asks for your drink orders while taking your choice of meal. Always managed to get JCL drinks (such as cocktails, coconut water, Jing teas) albeit in YCL cups.
  • Sometimes, the crew seems to know your name when you bump into them at the galley or on the way to the lavatory.
  • ISM greetings range from very short "I am here to greet you and kthxbye" to chit-chats. Some proactively offer drinks and indulge in a few minutes of pleasantries. Some remember you from previous flights. This short window lets really excellent ISMs shine. They may come round a second time before landing to check on you. Ask nicely and you may be surprised. For example, have had ISM offering a J seat at T-30 before landing to catch a flight connection.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 5:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Regarding water, in a cabin, on CX in a realty a time long ago, as a DM in Y, the ISM came up and gave me a bottle of water. My neighbour also asked politely for one as well because he needed some water, it was not because he wanted what I was given.

ISM "I am sorry sir, but for our DMs only"
Pax "Okay thank you"

The ISM walked away and I discreetly gave him my bottle of water. A few minutes later the ISM returned.

ISM to me "I knew what you were going to do the moment I walked away so here is another bottle of water"

The crew have class even if their management does not.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:32 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, United MileagePlus Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Engineering Travel
My recent LHR-HKG RTN's a tale of two sides..

Outbound, I had amazing service in Y as a MPC Gold just as the OP described, first for meals and nothing was to much trouble. Pressing the call bell for a coffee (which with some airline brings a ''what do you want'') and the staff always delivered a smiling service.
The only exception of not being allowed to disembark with the J class, but I can live with that. Within hours of arriving at my hotel, I filed a compliments message to say thank you..

Inbound, not even a hello Mr Engineering Travel, and as above more like why are you pressing the call bell...No Xmas cards from me then.
My recent KA experience in 5 round trips is similar to your inbound trip. For one time, I sat next to a OWE who was served with bottles of water and first for meal. But not even a hello to me (GO)... KA is rather consistent on this!
Old Nov 18, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: BA GOLD
Originally Posted by Audio
Basically, it is just this....

"The more you have, the less you demand........"

(Audio)
I agree. Maybe they made sure you wanted nothing once on board. :-)
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: AA Plat, MPC Silver, IHG Platinum
Weird! I have gotten those water bottles a few times (and not other) and now I know why.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:40 am

Programs: CX DM/OWE, Marriott Titanium, Avis Preferred, National EE
I find that the service as DM in Business KA is nothing special (most of the times Dont even get a hello on KA when in business class as a DM), but on CX will nearly always get at least a hello and a bottle of water. Definitely notice that they make more of an effort when you are a DM in Econ, with alittle more personalized service, water bottles, pillows, etc (again notice that CX seems to do a better job than KA).

I do travel heavily on the DM heavy HKG - PVG/SHA route so this may be why...
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:12 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, CX MPO DM
More data points of good experiences as DM in YCL:
  • ISM came by and asked if the temperature was OK. It was indeed colder than usual. She offered a hot drink and went back up to increase the temperature.
  • ISM came by and asked how things was. The call button was lit (unanswered) at the time, as I was waiting for someone to come so that I could ask for a blanket. ISM looked alarmed and proactively asked if my travelling partner and I would like a champagne. The champagne came in JCL ware. Very nice service recovery.
  • ISM walked down and asked if I wanted anything. We were already taxiing so I got confused, and asked if she was sure. She said "it's fine, you are our DM member". Didn't want to bother the crew at such critical time and just had a nice chat with her.
  • Travelling partner wanted a Cloud Nine (JCL cocktail) as some article said it was the most instagrammable drink (??). FP happily obliged and the drink came with a sugar-rimmed plastic cup
At the risk of generalisation, have had better experiences with lady ISMs. Have not had many encounters with male ISMs, but at those encounters, they felt perfunctory and rather disinvolved in the service flow?

Hope to hear more good anecdotes!
OneWorldLoyalist likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:05 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by landingpoint
At the risk of generalisation, have had better experiences with lady ISMs. Have not had many encounters with male ISMs, but at those encounters, they felt perfunctory and rather disinvolved in the service flow?
I’ve meet a few good male ISMs...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.