Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX service to DM members while traveling on economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX service to DM members while traveling on economy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2016, 5:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Originally Posted by alphaod
For flights without too many DMs they are pretty attentive. If you ever fly say PVG-HKG where there are 60 DM, 60 GO, the rest SL then not really (I don't blame them).

The one thing I always appreciate is the extra bottle of water, at least they seem to get that most of the time.
I flew PVG-HKG last week and yes I think it was an anomaly but was greeted twice. Once by ISM and other by normal cabin crew. Evian offered twice. Same day was greeted twice on HKG-BKK. It was a double-double day.

I have started flying Y more intra asia and I must say it really is fairly enjoyable with a good crew. Avoid the food, get an exit row and it is fine.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 5:29 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by ESFLYER95
I flew PVG-HKG last week and yes I think it was an anomaly but was greeted twice. Once by ISM and other by normal cabin crew. Evian offered twice. Same day was greeted twice on HKG-BKK. It was a double-double day.

I have started flying Y more intra asia and I must say it really is fairly enjoyable with a good crew. Avoid the food, get an exit row and it is fine.
i'm going the other way, I used to do 75% of my Asia flying in Y, but that has shifted mainly to J in the last few years. And the truth is you feel less "special" particularly in regional J.

The legacy CX services towards DMs in the back of the bus IME is superb, and generally a cut above. It really is consistent and makes economy quite civilized. Speaking from experience, I've probably done 100-200 regional flights in Y over the last decade on CX or KA. Even though I don't really fly much economy anymore, I think it's probably not a brilliant move for CX to tick off the "premium" regular economy fliers. I was kinda bummed to see those developments with MPC. Those guys earned it, and honestly their flying was far harder and more painful than mine. Many of those DMs earned it with long-haul Y, which I really can't even imagine but don't envy one bit. DM is pretty darn hard to earn already. Just my two cents.

(Maybe I'd feel differently if CX really elevated their J and F class soft services, but no dice. J class hard product is superb, but what's really lacking on CX is the soft product).

It's a shame because where CX shines the most is differentiated service towards DMs in the back. In the front, especially short-haul, there isn't much difference. Long-haul particularly J but also F, I still do find they do the little things well, basically looking out for you above the other passengers. But EY class is where they really shine because let's face it, economy is no fun.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 6:28 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
I was once on Haneda jumbo flight with 100+ DM/EM/GO/SA. All greetings were still gracefully done
Old Dec 19, 2016, 6:19 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
I was once on Haneda jumbo flight with 100+ DM/EM/GO/SA. All greetings were still gracefully done
I think DM/EM greetings to HND is doable, since the 744 is adequately staffed plus the flight is relatively longer then PVG. The problem if you have 60 DM/EM on a 100min flight, and the ISM spends 1 minute per passenger, then she needs about 60mins to finish everyone.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 9:52 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by QRC3288
I have been on a flight PEK-HKG with 40+ Diamond members before in Y class alone. This isn't Emerald, this is DM only. I forgot to ask about J. The ISM informed me she was saying hi to Diamonds only, water and meals first for Diamonds only, and that was it. No greeting for Emeralds, GOs, or anyone else.

It can get pretty crazy to/from PEK, PVG and SIN. IME, those three destinations are unlike any other in terms of # of Diamonds on board. You can get a lot to/from TPE sometimes, same with JFK, LHR and whatnot, but PEK, PVG and SIN are always in a class of their own (particularly PEK and PVG, which seem to be filled with businesspeople on all days of the week and all flights, whereas SIN some flights are clearly leisure travel). I flew back from SIN a few weeks ago in J on 773; we "only" had 11 DMs in J class alone. I don't know how many Emeralds in J, nor how many DM in the back. Same thing was followed; only DMs were given first meal preference.

The sweet spot is when you're DM and there are just a few of you.
I fly the CX 715 on Fri fairly regularly - not sure there are many DM on that flight... is this the same as your experience?
Old Dec 19, 2016, 9:52 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
I think DM/EM greetings to HND is doable, since the 744 is adequately staffed plus the flight is relatively longer then PVG. The problem if you have 60 DM/EM on a 100min flight, and the ISM spends 1 minute per passenger, then she needs about 60mins to finish everyone.
To be fair the greeting is normally 10secs (if no requests). So she should be done in 10mins for 60DM/EM.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 1:06 am

Programs: SQ PPS, OZ Gold, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Platinum, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by ermen
I fly the CX 715 on Fri fairly regularly - not sure there are many DM on that flight... is this the same as your experience?
I do CX715 regularly on Sun night... I can tell there are usually at least 40+ First Class baggage tag coming out from the baggage bell....
Old Dec 20, 2016, 2:18 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
I've already given up on expecting any difference in any cabin already...

In 2016, the best treatment I had so far was one on KA PEK-HKG which I was partially drunk during lunch with the same team of crew on my HKG-PEK flight in Y... Whole team really took good care of me... And fortunately my adjacent seat was empty...

Second to it was my recent J HKG-SIN, ISM not just came and say hi but really took some good time to chat with the three DMs individually for some time... Also offered priority water and dining...

Aside from these two flights, mind it on CX or KA, I'd be very happy if I got a bottle of water (mind it evian or what), priority dining or even simply my adjacent seat blocked (in Y)... What I have most of the time was only two greetings... Aside from that nothing more / different than other fellow passengers

Probably because I was mostly flying PEK and PVG in 2016... But no noticeable difference when I was on board to say TPE, SIN, MEL or LHR (and some other ports, just some e.g.)
Old Dec 20, 2016, 6:15 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
DM treatment on birthday is really good. We just need to be on a flight with few F/J seats open
Old Dec 20, 2016, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SPG Platinum, Amex SPG, Chase CSR, Citi TYP
Originally Posted by Ausriver
DM treatment on birthday is really good. We just need to be on a flight with few F/J seats open
Tell us about it.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 8:27 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by Ausriver
What's that? I had one of my worst flights in my entire MPC life two years ago on my birthday. This year I got what I paid for (i.e. a standard Y experience, nothing special, as routine as it can i.e. no extra water no priority meal no seat block on a not full flight)
Old Dec 20, 2016, 9:39 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by sscywong
What's that? I had one of my worst flights in my entire MPC life two years ago on my birthday. This year I got what I paid for (i.e. a standard Y experience, nothing special, as routine as it can i.e. no extra water no priority meal no seat block on a not full flight)
Seems that you always have bad luck on your side...was it PEK route?

Perhaps sometimes its important to have a bit of necessary evil (i.e. a bit of DYKWIA) to make things happen...just saying...
Old Dec 20, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
I guess that your birthdays were special - instead of upgrading you...
Old Dec 21, 2016, 6:04 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat

It sounds like they might not even have you in the system. Did you get your miles credited within couple of days?
Old Dec 21, 2016, 6:31 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Just got back from CTU via KA today. ISM greeted me and i just think she has well overdone the greetings i.e. she keeps saying thank you, welcome... to me whatever i do, even when i take a drink from her.

I told her she doesn't need to be so nice to me but she said “no it's okay thank you for flying with us all the time”, even though i just do it very occasionally, mostly as redemption...

I am not saying it's bad to be nice but i think she is too scared that i will complain so she tried very hard if you know what i mean.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.