Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Does the 15 lbs limit for carry on mean that you can bring only ~9 lbs on board?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does the 15 lbs limit for carry on mean that you can bring only ~9 lbs on board?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2016, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Most small luggage are around 6 pounds, 6 + 9 = 15. How strict are they with carry-on weight? (Refering here to economy with that 15lbs limit)
Old Dec 18, 2016, 7:46 pm

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
Hello and welcome!

I have never been, nor heard anyone ever be, weighted carry-on at the gate with CX or KA. In other words I'd say they are fairly loose. My own rule of thumb is the dimension (it fits in the overhead bin) and that you can lift the carry-on to the bin by yourself.

Also there are bundled checked allowance you may use, unless you prefer taking everything as carry-on (say for security or convenience).
Old Dec 18, 2016, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by watery
Hello and welcome!

I have never been, nor heard anyone ever be, weighted carry-on at the gate with CX or KA. In other words I'd say they are fairly loose. My own rule of thumb is the dimension (it fits in the overhead bin) and that you can lift the carry-on to the bin by yourself.

Also there are bundled checked allowance you may use, unless you prefer taking everything as carry-on (say for security or convenience).
Judt a regular 20 inch spinner and perhaps a not so big backpack as a personal item.

My spinner is almost 7 lbs and it was one of the lightest hardcover spinners I saw.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 9:52 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
They rarely weigh unless you're trying to carry what looks like checked baggage onboard or the flight is really booked and you're flying with a lot of tourists.

If you have any sort of status, they will typically ignore you.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 9:59 pm

Programs: MPC DM, SPG Plat
On a recent flight from MEL - HKG, the check in agent next to mine was weighing carry on luggage and told the pax that his carry on was too heavy. I didn't examine his bag in detail but it looked like a standard cabin carry-on.

I've never had CX weigh my cabin luggage (though Air New Zealand did it once and said I had to check in the bag for being 1kg over - I was flying business)
Old Dec 18, 2016, 11:19 pm

This is not a budget airline...so, they don't really care.

I have seen big suitcase being lugged into the cabin.....or carry-on that requires 2 person to lift it up into the overheads.

Travelling shouldn't be a chore. Just have what you need in a light bag and off you go. Check in the rest.

I have people telling me that they need to carry everything with them because:-

(1) They are following George Cloony's advice that you save 18 min off the baggage claim by carry everything with you.

(2) Bad experiences of losing their check-in baggage.

I only had 2 instances of delayed baggage and these were in the early 90s.

As long as you are happy lugging your baggages everywhere you go, why should I complain?

(Audio)
Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:09 am

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
Some out stations do weigh carry on. I have had this happen at MAN, where my laptop bag, was weighed at 11Kg, and I was asked to transfer some items to my hold luggage. For status MPC members the weight allowance increases.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
If it's CX agents at outports they basically never weigh check-in, particularly if you're a MPO member.

Sometimes when it's third party contractors doing the ground ops then they seem to go by the book and weigh the bags but this is still rare and has never personally happened to me in 10 or so years.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 1:00 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Back to the original question - IF they decide they want to be strict on carry on baggage, yes the limit includes the weight of the bag itself.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 2:36 am

Programs: MPC, Marriott, Hyatt
My mom is a MPO member and got told to check her carry-on because it was a a few pounds overweight, ex-JFK, and charged her for the extra checked luggage @ 150USD a pop.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold

Interesting anecdote - about a month ago, in the business class check in counter at HKG.

Loud argument at the next counter while I walked up to the check in counter. Asian woman, loud, angry, yelling in English.

Of course I did not have any clue as to what started the argument. She was flying to [a US destination] in Y.

Passenger refused to allow staff to weigh her hand carry suitcase (which looked smaller than my Rimowa 56cm large cabin size). She had no check in luggage. She only had one hand carry suitcase and a small handbag.

Staff told her that they need to weigh it before she is allowed to take it on board. She refused and said she is entitled to take that piece of hand luggage on board.

After a lot of arguing, she agreed to put it on the scale and had difficulty lifting it onto the scale. Staff told her that it was at least 15kg above the limit (I forgot how much over, but it was quite a lot).

Staff then said that she will not be allowed to board the flight with that hand carry suitcase. They said they could check it in, or put part of the contents into a CX cardboard box and they can send it as checked luggage.

More arguments ... I don't know how it ended as I got my boarding pass and left.

Exact details may not be accurate (the flight, the weight over the limit etc...)

So I guess they can enforce the weight rule for hand luggage?
Old Dec 19, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
So I guess they can enforce the weight rule for hand luggage?
Of course they can. If they don't weigh it at check in, HKIA security may weigh it. If not, they may still have to check it in after boarding.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 4:11 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Hello and welcome!

My ex girlfriend was stopped once at boarding gate at HKG by KA because her Tumi carry on was too fat. It was very full though and she had to take her jacket and jumper out and carry them in hand in order to board... what's the real difference? The minute she board, she put everything back in.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 5:16 pm

Programs: CX DM, SPG GO
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Of course they can. If they don't weigh it at check in, HKIA security may weigh it. If not, they may still have to check it in after boarding.
Since some airlines allow 23kg (e.g. BA) carry ons, what would HKIA security realistically do when/if they weigh the luggage? Cross check which airline the passenger is taking and the weight limit for hand carrys?
Old Dec 20, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by chfshifter
Since some airlines allow 23kg (e.g. BA) carry ons, what would HKIA security realistically do when/if they weigh the luggage? Cross check which airline the passenger is taking and the weight limit for hand carrys?
HKIA security did weigh my wife carry-on several years ago, but I haven't heard much about that these few years.

They can send the passenger back to the airline to get an exception tag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.