FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Connecting to Cebu Pacific (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1803086-connecting-cebu-pacific.html)

Zamees Nov 17, 2016 7:50 pm

Connecting to Cebu Pacific

i'm connecting in Hong Kong to Cebu Pacific. I'll only have carry on luggage.
Can anyone inform me how to go about transferring as the info on the web is limited?

From the Cebu site and also in my email with boarding pass, it claims:
"For guests on international flights, you need to drop by the bag drop counter for documents verification before the check-in counters close for your flight."

This would make me assume I have to go through HKG immigration, go to the Cebu bag drop counter, then go back through passport control. I'll have around 4 hours, so should be fine, but wondering if this is the case.

Anyone with specific experience transferring to a Cebu Pacific flight in HKG have any advice?

24left Nov 17, 2016 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Zamees (Post 27495463)
i'm connecting in Hong Kong to Cebu Pacific. I'll only have carry on luggage.
Can anyone inform me how to go about transferring as the info on the web is limited?

From the Cebu site and also in my email with boarding pass, it claims:
"For guests on international flights, you need to drop by the bag drop counter for documents verification before the check-in counters close for your flight."

This would make me assume I have to go through HKG immigration, go to the Cebu bag drop counter, then go back through passport control. I'll have around 4 hours, so should be fine, but wondering if this is the case.

Anyone with specific experience transferring to a Cebu Pacific flight in HKG have any advice?

I assume you are flying CX to HKG?
Is the Cebu Pacific a separate ticket?

The wording you posted also seems unclear to me. Even if you only have carry-on, does it mean you need to go to the counter for them to just check your docs ?

Also, I assume you saw the carry-on luggage weight restrictions on their website

https://www.cebupacificair.com/Pages...d-baggage.aspx

Your profile says you are based in NYC.
Have you tend to call their U.S. Toll Free Number: 1-855-5CEBPAC ?

Wuxia Nov 17, 2016 9:03 pm

I have not specifically transferred to a 5J flight from HKG, but should operate the same way from other airports. Cebu Pacific is an LCC and for the most part, point-to-point only, although there are exceptions. They claimed they formed the Vanilla Alliance but I have yet to see any other codeshare on their website aside from TigerAir (Cebgo is their own brand, so doesn't really count). Since there is no Cebu Pacific transfer desks airside at HKG, you have to go through immigration and check in from their bag drop counter landside, even if you do not have any baggage. That is the only way they can confirm you have necessary documents to travel internationally to your destination. However, note that Cebu Pacific is also very strict with carry on items. Your carry on must weigh less than 7 kg. You can exclude "personal items", but Cebu Pacific is known for strictly enforcing this weight limit and forcing passengers to pay baggage fees. I often see them weigh people's carry-on and the maximum weight I have seen them let people through is 10 kg (7 kg to 10 kg is the gray area); above that, their policy is to slap those baggage fees.

24left Nov 17, 2016 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Wuxia (Post 27495689)
.....Since there is no Cebu Pacific transfer desks airside at HKG, you have to go through immigration and check in from their bag drop counter landside, even if you do not have any baggage. That is the only way they can confirm you have necessary documents to travel internationally to your destination......

Thanks for your post. Most helpful.
I assume OP will be back to check for replies.

christep Nov 18, 2016 2:22 am

I don't quite get the above comments... As I understand it, the OP is arriving on CX and transferring to 5J, with only carry-on baggage, and boarding pass in hand. That being so, I can't see that they would have any different passing through transfer security and proceeding directly to the departure level and thence to the departure gate. Are the above posters suggesting then he would be rejected for boarding if he did this?

I've only ever take 5J on standalone HKG-MNL flights, but it seems to me that this is no different from any other airline: they prefer you to have a document check landside to avoid last-minute delays at the gate, but if you do end up at the gate without a doc-check then it is flagged and the check is done there.

If I were the OP I would simply proceed to departures directly, and then approach the 5J staff at the desk at the departure gate as soon as it is manned to get the check done (rather than waiting until being processed for boarding).

Zamees Nov 18, 2016 3:13 am

Thanks for the replies, seems no one has had this experience yet.
To answer a few questions, yes, flying CX to HKG, separate ticket on CEB.

I've flown CEB many times, only carry a small (but heavy) backpack, and haven't had trouble with limits. Can probably make the 7kg work (if forced), currently it's 11kg, but includes some heavy items I can slip into pockets or the personal item bag.

Regarding the above post, that doesn't sound too safe to me. Gate manned maybe 1 hour before boarding, if they turn me away, won't have time to make the flight. Logically, I agree with this, and agree with other people's suggested solutions, however, unless someone specifically has experience with transferring to CEB at HKG, I won't chance it.

One question about this? If I use the transfer security line (since I do have a printed boarding pass), and spend some time looking for help airside. How do I go from airside, back through immigration, is that an easy option in HKG?

Wuxia Nov 18, 2016 3:16 am

Originally Posted by christep (Post 27496368)
I don't quite get the above comments... As I understand it, the OP is arriving on CX and transferring to 5J, with only carry-on baggage, and boarding pass in hand. That being so, I can't see that they would have any different passing through transfer security and proceeding directly to the departure level and thence to the departure gate. Are the above posters suggesting then he would be rejected for boarding if he did this?

There is no boarding pass in hand. OP did not specify where his CX flight comes from, but I am pretty sure CX and 5J are separate bookings, so there is no way he can get a 5J boarding pass. Self-printed or mobile boarding passes are not available for 5J passengers departing from HKG. Without a boarding pass, he cannot pass transfer security and go to the departure area.

christep Nov 18, 2016 3:23 am

Originally Posted by Zamees (Post 27496467)
I do have a printed boarding pass

Originally Posted by Wuxia (Post 27496474)
There is no boarding pass in hand.

Oh yes there is!

And I have always used a home printed boarding pass for 5J ex-HKG (albeit I haven't flown them for a couple of years, but I just checked their HK website and the link for online checkin and printing a boarding pass is right up front!), so I've no idea where you get your information from.

Wuxia Nov 18, 2016 3:48 am

Originally Posted by christep (Post 27496490)
Oh yes there is!

And I have always used a home printed boarding pass for 5J ex-HKG (albeit I haven't flown them for a couple of years, but I just checked their HK website and the link for online checkin and printing a boarding pass is right up front!), so I've no idea where you get your information from.

I only tried transferring to a 5J flight in Singapore, but not in HKG. You can always try if transfer security will accept your self-printed boarding pass. They often change procedures. The last time I flew with them, they will exchange your self-printed boarding pass with an airline printed one for international flights. For domestic flights, they do mark it somehow that docs have been verified, but that can be done at the gate. Anyhow, if they say you have to go to the landside counter, then it is wise to just go there. My experience in Singapore was that I was almost sent landside at the transfer desk of the full service airline I went to because they do not have "agreeement" with Cebu Pacific. They did check me in airside but "just that once". But on the way back, I have to clear immigration and go to Cebu Pacific counter. I didn't have a printer to print my own boarding pass anyway.

Zamees Nov 18, 2016 4:08 am

Just looked at my boarding pass. The printed boarding pass with barcode, flight and seat number does say similar information.

"All International guests with or without checked baggage should proceed to the check-in counter first for travel documents check before clearing immigration."

Kind of crappy you have to go through immigration and passport control :(
At least to be on the safe side.

Zamees Nov 18, 2016 9:49 pm

No one mentioned CX also has a 7kg weight limit. Never been asked about this before in 10 or so flights and my baggage is always the same.

Bag weighed in at 11.2, agent said I can move stuff to my smaller personal item bag. Started taking things out, got to 8.2 and she gave up and let me pass.

Guess this will be good practice if/when Cebu does this.
I walked over to another scale and put both bags on. 14kg on the dot :)
Have a few heavy items, laptop, speaker, hope I don't struggle too much with checking in to 5J

Zamees Nov 15, 2017 12:34 am

Had an old PM on the result of this, so posting the experience.

Given I had 4 hours for the connection, I took the safe route, went through immigration and to the 5J check in desk, then back through security. Did not want to chance the missed flight. All in all, took about 20 minutes to get through immigration, document check (since I did online booking, there was no line), and then back through security. No issues with weighing my carry on bags either.

garykung Nov 15, 2017 2:14 am

https://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/...rocedures.html

This would make me assume I have to go through HKG immigration, go to the Cebu bag drop counter, then go back through passport control.

It depends on if you have a BP on hand.

Given 5J has no transfer desk, it is likely that you will have to go through the whole formality just for the BP.

Remember to get your departure tax refund if the flights are the same day.

Zamees Nov 15, 2017 2:17 am

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 29062717)
https://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/...rocedures.html

It depends on if you have a BP on hand.

Given 5J has no transfer desk, it is likely that you will have to go through the whole formality just for the BP.

Remember to get your departure tax refund if the flights are the same day.

Departure tax refund, where do you do that?

I have the reverse route coming up, 5J to HKG, then CX to JFK.
Will i qualify for this refund, how much is it? Where can I get it?

christep Nov 15, 2017 2:27 am

Yes you are eligible. It's HK$120. If you have time you can do it whilst in transit (but landside), if not you can do it by post within 4 weeks.

Details here: http://www.cad.gov.hk/english/for_travellers.html#tax