Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay website not clear about bicycle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold

Dear Cathay experts:

I bought a bike in USA that I have wished to bring with me to HK to ride during my business trips. I have surveyed the website of Cathay and I want the opinion of people that have done this and make sure I'm doing it right.

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_U...equipment.html

You can check in a bicycle as a piece of check in baggage provided it fulfils the following requirements:

A non-motorised touring or racing, single-seat bicycle (CHECKED)

Handlebars that are either fixed, tightened sideways, tightened parallel to the frame or enclosed in plastic foam or similar material

Pedals that have been either removed, fixed inwards or enclosed in plastic foam and similar material

Deflated tyres (CHECKED)

Packed in a strong and protective hard case or recognised bicycle box (CHECKED)

Not sure what they wanted me to do with handlebars and pedals. Seems like they prefer that I take them off, but if not I have to foam it really good within the hard case box?
Old Nov 17, 2016, 2:53 pm

Programs: MPC Green
They can be done using very basic tools.

Loosen the handle bars with a wrench and turn them parallel to the frame. This will let u get it in the box.

Take off the pedals with a wrench and pack them in your luggage or tape them to the frame.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
And remember to bring the wrench with you!
Old Nov 18, 2016, 4:34 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Watch out for the dimension of the box. Once I intended to check-in a bicycle in an oversized box (203cm??) and the cost was HKD2700. That was about 7-8 years ago.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Checked a bicycle about three years ago. BOS-ORD-HKG-BKK, F cabin. Had my bike shop in Boston pack it in an official bicycle box. No problems at all from CX. It was opened and resealed both in BOS and ORD by TSA, however.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 10:11 pm

Programs: CX DM
I travel with a bike around 6 times a year and never have any problems.

I also use a hard case (220cm) and they occasionally ask if the tyres have been deflated. Re. bars and pedals, I doubt they would check but you would have to do as described to get the bike into a hardcase? Maybe not if you're using a soft case but then again, I wouldn't trust a bike in one

Only caveat is that if you fly on a smaller aircraft (A320 to CNX for example), you need to register the bike otherwise there is a risk that it wont be loaded due to lack of space, I forgot recently and it was touch and go until boarding. I've never had to register when flying long-haul to EU or North America
Old Nov 20, 2016, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. It will only be between US and HK so it will be wide-body. Great suggestion about bikeshop, I will bring it to them and let them package it for me instead of me trying to doodle around with it.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by christep
And remember to bring the wrench with you!
And remember pedal threading on the drivetrain side is regular, but the left pedal is opposite. This means you'll need to turn the wrench counterclockwise to loosen and remove the right pedal, and clockwise to remove the left pedal. Saves reefing on it to take it off while you make it tighter.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
And remember pedal threading on the drivetrain side is regular, but the left pedal is opposite. This means you'll need to turn the wrench counterclockwise to loosen and remove the right pedal, and clockwise to remove the left pedal. Saves reefing on it to take it off while you make it tighter.
Thank you all. Usually for works like this I just hand it to the Concierge desk and ask them to deal with it.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 5:21 pm

I need to ship a bike in a bike box from YVR to HKG but the website is a bit unclear. Seeing as this thread is about 2 years old I wanted to see if people had more recent information.

The details on this page are a bit ambiguous: https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...equipment.html

The bike box I'm considering has a total dimension of 255cm but on the sports equipment section of the website it says that maximum dimensions are 203cm. There's no way I can get anything to fit into 203cm. That said, the website says that I might be charged $150 or 4 times the oversized baggage fee based on the rules stated below:

*If the length exceeds 158 cm / 62 in, but the total dimensions are within 203 cm / 80 in, oversized baggage charges will be applied as follows
It also says

*If the length exceeds 158 cm / 62 in and the total dimensions exceed 203 cm / 80 in, 4 times of extra baggage charge applies.
Neither of those conditions is true as the box doesn't exceed 158cm in length and is only 139 cm in length. So do I need to pay the oversized baggage fee? It seems like previously I shouldn't have to pay anything for a bike box but I was hoping someone with a little more recent experience can elaborate.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 5:10 pm

Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia
Does anyone have recent experience checking in a bike with CX? Thanks....
Is it actually possible to fit a disassembled bike into a box with a total dimension of 158cm?
Old Aug 8, 2023, 2:29 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by l380
Does anyone have recent experience checking in a bike with CX? Thanks....
Is it actually possible to fit a disassembled bike into a box with a total dimension of 158cm?
I think you will need to contact CX anyway, so you might as well ask CX all your questions. https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...equipment.html says,
Travelling with a bicycle
If you plan on travelling with a bicycle, please contact our Customer Care as far in advance as possible, though at least 72 hours prior to departure. This is confirm that your bicycle can be accepted in the aircraft assigned to your flight, noting that space is very limited and is granted on a first-come-first-served basis. The bicycle can be included as part of your total checked baggage allowance as long as it meets the following requirements:

A non-motorised touring or racing, single-seat bicycle
Handlebars that are either fixed, tightened sideways, tightened parallel to the frame or enclosed in plastic foam or similar material
Pedals that have been either removed, fixed inwards or enclosed in plastic foam and similar material
Deflated tyres
Packed in a strong and protective hard case or recognised bicycle box. If departing from Zurich airport, there is a height restriction on the bicycle box: 100 cm (39 in) or lower
I think you know your bike better than anyone else, so maybe you should check yourself first if your bike can be put in a 158cm box?
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I think you will need to contact CX anyway, so you might as well ask CX all your questions. https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...equipment.html says,
Thanks for the info. I did reach out to CX. Now that the call centre has been outsourced to China, they were only able to make a request. The staff on the phone said airport staff will contact me to confirm the charge and availability. However, they have not replied me and I am flying soon. Perhaps I will go to Central airport express to ask....

I have another question actually... My ticket is issued on AC but this return flight is HKG-KIX-YVR on CX/AC respectively. Given that the bags will definitely be checked thru to the final destination, which airline bike carriage policy should be followed? I had two opposing answers from CX staff.... one said follow AC since AC is the ticketing airline, whereas the other said CX rules apply..... I am hoping that it is the former because AC is very generous with bicycle as check bag..... 50CAD for total dimension of 292cm~!
Old Aug 8, 2023, 10:37 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by l380
I have another question actually... My ticket is issued on AC but this return flight is HKG-KIX-YVR on CX/AC respectively. Given that the bags will definitely be checked thru to the final destination, which airline bike carriage policy should be followed? I had two opposing answers from CX staff.... one said follow AC since AC is the ticketing airline, whereas the other said CX rules apply..... I am hoping that it is the former because AC is very generous with bicycle as check bag..... 50CAD for total dimension of 292cm~!
Probably AC rule applies but we need your full itinerary (flown sectors, too) to determine. Your e-ticket should have the information, too. While the extra bag charge may follow AC's standard, if the size of the bag is too large for CX to check it, CX could still refuse it.
l380 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Probably AC rule applies but we need your full itinerary (flown sectors, too) to determine. Your e-ticket should have the information, too. While the extra bag charge may follow AC's standard, if the size of the bag is too large for CX to check it, CX could still refuse it.
Just want to update everyone after I went to the HK In Town Check In and asked staff directly. They were super helpful and addressed all my baggage questions right away. I will not call CX call centre again.

In summary, CX will follow AC rule because it is an AC ticket. The check in agent only had few experiences like this one so they had to check two things 1) website - baggage.atpco.net 2) call airport check in agents to re-confirm. I am elated that I do not need to pay CX exorbitant bicycle fees.

PS. AC can only check in up to 15 bicycles per flight.
ernestnywang likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.