Wiki Posts
Search

Fun at LAX tonight Tug hits CZ Plane

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2016, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Fun at LAX tonight Tug hits CZ Plane

Heading for LAX airport? Best check. Tug hit a CZ plane at just the wrong spot blocking access ways this evening.

AA & QF flights to Oz and HK including AA193 cancelled.

Lots of interesting rebookings. Good to have valid PRC visa.

Good Luck!
Old Nov 11, 2016, 5:13 am

Programs: CX
......so what exactly does this have to do with CX?
Old Nov 11, 2016, 5:24 am
Original Poster

well given that there are a lot of rebookings from AA on CX and that there are a number of MPC members who are in the queues from the baggage tags for rebooking there may well be some interest from MPC members who are affected, directly from this and the knock-ons.

Or would you prefer not to know?
Old Nov 11, 2016, 5:36 am

Programs: CX
If someone's already on CX's flight today, not sure how these rebooked pax would affect them? Maybe a slightly longer lineup, maybe a slightly more packed flight. Maybe some op-ups. But I doubt any of the pax will be bumped off in flavour of AA's rebooked pax.

The incident happened Thurs evening. The cancelled AA193 was departing just shortly after midnight. The next CX flight to depart isn't due till 8am. If CX898 can arrive the tarmac/gate fine, I'm sure CX897 will not have a problem. But the CZ will probably be (or been) towed away already.

Either way, thanks for sharing ^
Old Nov 11, 2016, 8:07 am

Programs: MPC Green
Looks like the tow bar was bent in half.

HTF does that happen?

http://www.chinaaviationdaily.com/news/57/57905.html
Old Nov 11, 2016, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...cancelled.html
Originally Posted by br1584
I was on the Hkg flight. It was a little more than just tug hits plane. From what I pieced together from speaking with ramp workers and seeing the close up pictures. The tug being used wasn't powerful enough to move the plane. Something broke either the tow bar itself or the pin that attached the bar to the plane. The tug then hit the nose gear with a lot of force and the driver was wedged between the plane and the gear. I do not believe he survived.

The plane could not be moved for a while due to the fatality and them having to inspect to make sure the gear was structurally sound, not going to collapse.

As a result of that the planes were unable to push including some at the TBIT. The cancellations were a result of the crews timing out. The Hkg crew has roughly 1 hour of delay time before they time out.

AA handed the situation as well as they could given the circumstances. They had two full wide bodies to rebook. They brought in sandwich and drinks and grabbed all the non perishables off the planes.

Two more flights were significantly delayed, a red eye to MEX and MIA. Both delayed to this AM
Originally Posted by bse118
Originally Posted by br1584
I do not believe he survived.
Where in the world did you get the idea that there was a fatality? All the news articles say that the tug driver suffered only "minor injuries"

Took less than 30 seconds of Googling...

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 11, 2016 at 11:12 am
Old Nov 11, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, AA Platinum (but I also just pay for upgrades if I want them)
yeah i was one of those on AA 193.

Got on plane and they were hoping to move the other plane but warned the crew might time out.

we sat on plane till about 135am and then it was officially cancelled.

rebooking - they did the best they could with the staff at the airport at 2am.
they rebooked me the following night LAX-DFW-HKG in COACH (I had purchased Business Class).

I just called AA directly and had them change that. luckily AA had availability on AA193 tonight in Business.

Hoping to get out!
Old Nov 12, 2016, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

It should be noted that a lot of the AA staff who were working the late hours were on unpaid overtime, so personally I felt only right to write in and say a word of thanks to them, and one in particular.

AA re-booked me as well on AA183 to Shanghai, but they were severely restricted on whom they could send on that flight as they would only take people with valid documents for China (although not necessary for transit, this was just in case issues which may have required entry and also KA had quite a few cancellations out of PVG on the Saturday-though that might not necessarily have been known at the time).

It seems many people's first preference was re-booking to EVA but BR's reservations locally had closed for the night. JL's flights were also completely full and CX was difficult to get on for whatever reason.

In addition one of QF's Oz flights was also impacted so their passengers were competing with AA's Sydney passengers for alternative routes.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Nicc HK
It should be noted that a lot of the AA staff who were working the late hours were on unpaid overtime, ....
I don't understand this. Don't federal labor laws require that employees be paid when they are required to work?
Old Nov 13, 2016, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

I would hope so, though I do not know US Federal Labour Laws in detail. I just wanted to highlight what I had been told (rightly or wrongly).

In any event I found the AA staff to be professional in their business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.