Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who Manages CX/KA Check In At PEK?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2016, 7:53 pm
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Who Manages CX/KA Check In At PEK?

Hi All

As per title. Checked in yesterday morning at PEK and as I approached the tense barriers was met with a rather curt "First or Business"? Which set the tone for the whole check in procedure. The check in staff, of only two who were there setting up their desks at the Y section, then proceeded to start checking in. I was standing at the J queue and another couple had just moved from there down to Y desk that had just been opened by the not so friendly check in agent.

Waited 15 minutes as the furthest desk processed Y pax and the first agent dealt with the first two J pax. Was then called forward and got "time your flight" as I handed my passport over. Quickly replied good morning my flight is at 7:30. A few taps on the computer then "you print your boarding pass let me see". To cut a long story short, the interactions from the agent were curt, barely short of monosyllabic and not the best customer service.

I didn't see anyone in the usual CX/KA uniforms and only at the gate was wondering if ground services were handled by CA.

The last time I used CX/KA at PEK it wasn't the best of experiences either. Is this a usual thing to expect from any of the more regular PEK CX/KA users?

Have used other airlines lines from PEK and never encountered such downtrodden staff.

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Nov 1, 2016, 8:24 pm

Programs: CX JL QR LH BA
I don't think subtleties like your "good morning" register well with PEK.
Did I understand correctly in that the J queue started 15 minutes later than Y queue, or was it just moving more slowly?

Last edited by ashsong; Nov 2, 2016 at 12:38 am
Old Nov 1, 2016, 8:59 pm
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by ashsong
I don't think subtitles like your "good morning" register well with PEK.
Did I understand correctly in that the J queue started 15 minutes later than Y queue, or was it just moving more slowly?
Check in was just opening as I arrived. There were already a few people in the Y queue. Both check in desks were at the Y section (about 4 desks along from J/F). Although I waited for 15 minutes, it was the unfriendly customer service that irked a little (it's nice to be nice as my dear Gran used to say). I will admit I couldn't see the uniform as they were wearing winter coats but at the gate the uniforms looked more like CA handling agents than CX/KA.

Having lived in Beijing for the past two and a bit years, very rarely have I come across staff in a customer facing position (although has happened once or twice) to be as curt and would have thought airport staff would be masters of politeness and courtesy (as experienced with BA/EK/QR & CA at PEK).

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Nov 1, 2016, 10:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Saltire74

I didn't see anyone in the usual CX/KA uniforms and only at the gate was wondering if ground services were handled by CA.
I'm pretty sure KA manages check-in there. I haven't done PEK-HKG in about 5 months, but I've always been reasonably impressed by ground services there (they are rather skilled at moving people around to flights that have prospects of actually leaving...not an easy task during the summer months).
Old Feb 20, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Just to be clear, if I am flying out on KA to HKG, connecting to CX to MNL, is it the same check in counter for both CX/KA at PEK?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by craig44485
Just to be clear, if I am flying out on KA to HKG, connecting to CX to MNL, is it the same check in counter for both CX/KA at PEK?
KA is CX and CX is KA

does not matter when I have done it
BLR-HKG KA
HKG-AKL/BKK/SIN/MNL CX
Old Feb 20, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by craig44485
You check in with the first airline. In this case, KA. KA and CX have the same counter in PEK, but even if they were different, you would still just go to KA.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
It would be someone, either under the name of a CA or some handling agent under the CAAC umbrella even if it were dragonair uniformed.
Asking for any sort of service would be an overrequest.

Last edited by kaka; Feb 21, 2018 at 7:13 pm Reason: Edited by kaka to state the affiliation of handling agent
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by kaka
It would be someone, either under the name of a CA or some handling agent even if it were dragonair uniformed.
Asking for any sort of service would be an overrequest.
Haha oh boy okay...not getting into this rhetoric but...

Kaka's gist is right. It's BJIA staff manning the desk (not CA, but close enough); although either one or two are directly employed by KA. The true KA/CX staff usually sit on the side closest to the terminal entrance. l think those managers also oversee the CX ops but could be wrong.

Anyway, ernestwang seems to give what I think the OP is after...you check in at KA desk (which is the same as CX anyway) since it's your first flight.
kaka likes this.

Last edited by cxfan1960; Feb 20, 2018 at 7:12 pm Reason: Quote edited by mod to stay apolitical
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
You're in Peking and you're surprised that the customer service is bad?
Alawyer, kaka and garykung like this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 11:14 pm
Suspended

Hi All

As per title. Checked in yesterday morning at PEK and as I approached the tense barriers was met with a rather curt "First or Business"? Which set the tone for the whole check in procedure. The check in staff, of only two who were there setting up their desks at the Y section, then proceeded to start checking in. I was standing at the J queue and another couple had just moved from there down to Y desk that had just been opened by the not so friendly check in agent.

Waited 15 minutes as the furthest desk processed Y pax and the first agent dealt with the first two J pax. Was then called forward and got "time your flight" as I handed my passport over. Quickly replied good morning my flight is at 7:30. A few taps on the computer then "you print your boarding pass let me see". To cut a long story short, the interactions from the agent were curt, barely short of monosyllabic and not the best customer service.

The last time I used CX/KA at PEK it wasn't the best of experiences either. Is this a usual thing to expect from any of the more regular PEK CX/KA users?

Have used other airlines lines from PEK and never encountered such downtrodden staff.

Safe & Happy Travels

S
tbh you should write CX to complain about such incidents. rude agents should have no stand on a decent airline. wherever the airline and station is.
If they dont like their job, they can always quit.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
For the record - just because a staff wearing a CX/KA uniform does not automatically mean the staff is employed by CX/KA. It only means the staff represents CX/KA. The staff wearing CX/KA uniform can be an vendor's employee which CX/KA has outsourced its ground service to.
QRC3288 and kaka like this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 2:45 am
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

tbh you should write CX to complain about such incidents. rude agents should have no stand on a decent airline. wherever the airline and station is.
I started this thread and reported on the issue nearly one and a half years ago now. Life has moved on since then

Originally Posted by garykung
For the record - just because a staff wearing a CX/KA uniform does not automatically mean the staff is employed by CX/KA. It only means the staff represents CX/KA. The staff wearing CX/KA uniform can be an vendor's employee which CX/KA has outsourced its ground service to.
My recollection at the time was that on all previous visits to PEK using CX/KA, the staff wore those uniforms and not those of a contracted company. Am well aware that 3rd party suppliers can wear the uniform of their contracted client but are still a representative of that client and should be expected to act in the manner of the represented company, but as said, life has moved on since this occurrence 16 months ago.

Safe and happy travels.

​​​​​​​S
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:15 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Having no Mandarin or other Chinese language versions knowledge, I do have some experience with several Asian languages. When literally translating into English, the wording becomes pretty harsh, despite the speaker having perfect and very positive intentions. Even several China visits gave me that impression. Let alone, the stress listening/speaking English puts on the person.

So, rude sounding could very well be a limitation of English knowledge/fluency and not so much of a bad customer appreciation.

Not so say, my Asian speaking efforts are often laughed at, though generally also highly appreciated. For the same, I don't blame non-native, maybe even primitive, English speakers for their limitations.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 4:22 am
Suspended

I started this thread and reported on the issue nearly one and a half years ago now. Life has moved on since then

My recollection at the time was that on all previous visits to PEK using CX/KA, the staff wore those uniforms and not those of a contracted company. Am well aware that 3rd party suppliers can wear the uniform of their contracted client but are still a representative of that client and should be expected to act in the manner of the represented company, but as said, life has moved on since this occurrence 16 months ago.

Safe and happy travels.

S
lol i totally missed the fact this thread was from 2016.
​​​​​​​but it doesnt change the fact that many outsourced staff would be wearing cx uniform. Kix would be one - cx always outsourced staff with the KE ground agents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.