Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Turning around in CMB? (CX611/610)

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 11:40 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / OWE
Originally Posted by londonexpert
isnt the flight only 5-6hours? So the first set of crew still managed 2.5 hours? That’s pretty good and they get to rest from cmb-hkg?
how is the 2nd set crew easier?
Yes, flight time is 5-6 hours. The first set of crew did rest a bit on the outbound, but they were still mostly hanging around. On the inbound, they still did their work when I got on the plane until about 30 mins after take-off. So if the SP told me that she only had 2.5 hours of sleep I reckon they only rested about 2 hours after take-off?

The second set of crew didn't do anything on the outbound flight, and only appeared after the 2-hour mark on the inbound flight.
Old May 21, 2019, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by flubber
Yes, flight time is 5-6 hours. The first set of crew did rest a bit on the outbound, but they were still mostly hanging around. On the inbound, they still did their work when I got on the plane until about 30 mins after take-off. So if the SP told me that she only had 2.5 hours of sleep I reckon they only rested about 2 hours after take-off?

The second set of crew didn't do anything on the outbound flight, and only appeared after the 2-hour mark on the inbound flight.
sorry it doesn’t make sense?
hkg-cmb : first set crew and they get 2.5 hours rest
cmb-hkg second set crew and they were pax on the hkg-cmb sector?
the first set crew did not work in hkg-cmb?
Old May 22, 2019, 12:15 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by ermen

for some reason i could not print a CMB OLCI BP (if that was even available).
This page says that self print BP is available for CMB:
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...ding-pass.html

On another data point - I was unable to get my inbound flight BP printed out when I checked-in at HKIA.
You were not able to self-print your boarding pass?
Old May 22, 2019, 12:31 am

sorry it doesn’t make sense?
hkg-cmb : first set crew and they get 2.5 hours rest
cmb-hkg second set crew and they were pax on the hkg-cmb sector?
the first set crew did not work in hkg-cmb?
CX 611, HKG to CMB: First set of crew worked the entire flight (5-6 hours). Some of them probably rested a bit after meal service, but from what I could see when I used the bathrooms (I was awake the entire time), most of the first set of crew were hanging around. No sign of second set of crew at all. I have no idea where they were hiding. I did not see second set of crew the during the entire outbound flight.

CX 610, CMB to HKG: First set of crew greeted me when I got on the plane ("Hello again, XX!") and served us drinks before take-off. Still no sign of second set of crew. 2 hours after take-off, I saw the second set of crew for the first time (as if they were conjured up from nowhere!), and the first set of crew disappeared. I fell asleep, and 30 mins before landing saw the second set of crew serving everyone. Then 15 mins before landing, the SP from the first set of crew came up to me to say goodbye and thank you for flying with CX, etc. She also said she only had 2.5 hours of sleep.

I hope this timeline is clearer!
kaffir76 likes this.

Last edited by flubber; May 22, 2019 at 12:35 am Reason: Typo
Old May 22, 2019, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by sxc
You were not able to self-print your boarding pass?
No unfortunately not. I'm not sure if this is just a one-off glitch for me, or a new set of rules for CMB BP.
Old May 22, 2019, 12:34 am

CX 611, HKG to CMB: First set of crew worked the entire flight (5-6 hours). Some of them probably rested a bit after meal service, but from what I could see when I used the bathrooms (I was awake the entire time), most of the first set of crew were hanging around. No sign of second set of crew at all. I have no idea where they were hiding. I did not see second set of crew the during the entire outbound flight.

CX 610, CMB to HKG: First set of crew greeted me when I got on the plane ("Hello again, XX!") and served us drinks before take-off. Still no sign of second set of crewl. 2 hours after take-off, I saw the second set of crew for the first time (as if they were conjured up from nowhere!), and the first set of crew disappeared. I fell asleep, and 30 mins before landing saw the second set of crew serving everyone. Then 15 mins before landing, the SP from the first set of crew came up to me to say goodbye and thank you for flying with CX, etc. She also said she only had 2.5 hours of sleep.

I hope this timeline is clearer!
the 2nd set of crew were pax on the Hkg-cmb in J class. Hence u say the loads are high.
it is strange the first set of crew still work on the return, maybe some handover.

Also the 333 does not have crew rest so when the duty crew is in they wouldn’t have anywhere to sleep unless there are spare seats

Last edited by londonexpert; May 22, 2019 at 12:41 am
Old May 22, 2019, 12:40 am

the 2nd set of crew were pax on the Hkg-cmb in J class. Hence u say the loads are high.
it is strange the first set of crew still work on the return, maybe some handover.
Ah I see! Now that makes so much sense. Perhaps the second set of crew were using the J mini-cabin as I saw that the seats were all blocked off during OLCI seat selection.

Yes, I thought it was strange that the first set of crew was still working on the return; hence I said that I felt bad for the first set of crew.
Old May 27, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
does not make any sense for the first set of crew to work the inbound cmb-hkg though

weird...
Old May 28, 2019, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by ermen
does not make any sense for the first set of crew to work the inbound cmb-hkg though

weird...
Yeah, it's weird. It'll be great if there are other FT members who can contribute to this data point. I won't be doing another CMB turnaround until next year.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:56 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club Diamond
Yeah, it's weird. It'll be great if there are other FT members who can contribute to this data point. I won't be doing another CMB turnaround until next year.
Hi flubber - I will be doing the turnaround this weekend and will let you all know how it works with the crew. Did you notice any additional security at CMB airport?
flubber likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by whiskyfan
Hi flubber - I will be doing the turnaround this weekend and will let you all know how it works with the crew. Did you notice any additional security at CMB airport?
Not really. I went straight to the transit desk after getting off the plane, got my tickets after waiting for about 10 mins, then headed back to the security checks at the gate. It's still the usual "shoes off" at the security gate, but otherwise it doesn't look like security has been stepped up.

Have a good CMB turnaround! Thanks for adding to the data point.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:07 am

Programs: Marco Polo Club Diamond
Not really. I went straight to the transit desk after getting off the plane, got my tickets after waiting for about 10 mins, then headed back to the security checks at the gate. It's still the usual "shoes off" at the security gate, but otherwise it doesn't look like security has been stepped up.

Have a good CMB turnaround! Thanks for adding to the data point.
Thanks flubber. I self-printed the boarding pass at the time of OLCI, but when I showed it to the ladies at the Lotus Lounge, they refused to accept it. I had to go to the transit desk, but thankfully it wasn't crowded. The lady at the transit desk called them and told them to let me in, while they printed a boarding pass for me. Someone from Cathay came into the lounge to give me the pass. This was slightly annoying, but at least I didn't lose much time.

As for the crew, same thing as what you described. The crew to CMB greeted me again when I got on the plane at CMB. I dozed off and at some point the second crew appeared. There were four pilots in the cockpit (captain, 2 first officers and 1 second officer), so I presume they took shifts.
flubber likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by whiskyfan
Thanks flubber. I self-printed the boarding pass at the time of OLCI, but when I showed it to the ladies at the Lotus Lounge, they refused to accept it. I had to go to the transit desk, but thankfully it wasn't crowded. The lady at the transit desk called them and told them to let me in, while they printed a boarding pass for me. Someone from Cathay came into the lounge to give me the pass. This was slightly annoying, but at least I didn't lose much time.

As for the crew, same thing as what you described. The crew to CMB greeted me again when I got on the plane at CMB. I dozed off and at some point the second crew appeared. There were four pilots in the cockpit (captain, 2 first officers and 1 second officer), so I presume they took shifts.
Good to know that the first set of crew was still there when you did the turnaround, and at some point the second set of crew took over. Thanks again for the data point!
Old Feb 29, 2020, 11:43 am

I wish to contribute a new B2B scenario not covered above: CMB-HKG-XXX-HKG-CMB that B2B with CMB-HKG-YYY on a separate ticket.

I could not OLCI for my second ticket.

At HKG, the lounge folks could not link my second ticket to the first one either. They say it’s because (1) I’m travelling on 2 tickets and (2) furthermore some destinations YYY require proof of travel OUT of YYY (in my case this is with another airline) hence this can only be assessed by the originating city of the second ticket (ie. CMB) and HKG cannot so anything to overrule that. All the HKG lounge folks could do was send a message to CMB ground staff to say that I would be on the incoming CX611 and request assistance upon arrival in CMB to get boarding passes expeditiously issued for CX610.

In the end, that seemed to have worked. When the plane door opened at CMB, I was met at the door by a CMB ground staff who passed to me all boarding passes for the second ticket, and I literally just used that to reenter the boarding gate at CMB. No need to go to flight connections counter. So it worked smoothly, but overall I get a sense that YMMV.
flubber likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.