Turning around in CMB? (CX611/610)

Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by Carfield
I have not done a turnaround in CMB for a while.

I have been wondering if online check in or printing out an online boarding pass is still not an option!
Same here. Plan to do B2B CX 611 / 610 at CMB.

Anyone knows if the self printed boarding pass is acceptable at CMB gate?
Carfield likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Same here. Plan to do B2B CX 611 / 610 at CMB.

Anyone knows if the self printed boarding pass is acceptable at CMB gate?
Yes it is accepted! I just did my turnaround!
Carfield and whiskyfan like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:44 am

Programs: CX Diamond / OWE
I plan to do a turnaround at CMB but with one day at CMB for a bit of R&R. I will be taking CX611 from HKG arriving CMB at 11:45pm on a Tuesday, and then taking CX 610 one day later, i.e. Thursday early morning at 12:55am. What I would like to ask is if upon arriving at CMB, can I check my luggage for CX 610?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by flubber
I plan to do a turnaround at CMB but with one day at CMB for a bit of R&R. I will be taking CX611 from HKG arriving CMB at 11:45pm on a Tuesday, and then taking CX 610 one day later, i.e. Thursday early morning at 12:55am. What I would like to ask is if upon arriving at CMB, can I check my luggage for CX 610?
Definitely No... The check in area is heavily guarded and they only allow you in when check in for your flight is opened.
I don't even know if there is storage facilities at CMB! Maybe it is better if you just store your bags in Hong Kong and then check in the bags from HKG upon your arrival from CMB. Of course if your layover in HK is too short, you just have to carry your suitcases with you during your one day R&R at CMB!

Carfield
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Carfield
Definitely No... The check in area is heavily guarded and they only allow you in when check in for your flight is opened.
I don't even know if there is storage facilities at CMB! Maybe it is better if you just store your bags in Hong Kong and then check in the bags from HKG upon your arrival from CMB. Of course if your layover in HK is too short, you just have to carry your suitcases with you during your one day R&R at CMB!

Carfield
Thanks @Carfield - I guess I will have to carry my bags with me! They aren't heavy but I have something that is rather bulky. I wish CX lounges can store my luggage for me...
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Another data point from CMB turnaround the other day:-

lady at HKG airport express counter did not want to print return ticket - tried to but said there was a system error as turnaround time was 1:15 whereas MCT at CMB is 1:30.

tried again at the airport F counters - staff there were helpful in that they helped me at the end. but they were initially concerned at what was now going to be a 40min official turnaround due to the weather delays, and conferred with a supervisor over to check with me if i needed to request ground asisstance on arrival (which i declined as this was 100pc not needed at CMB airport! Just give me my BP and I'll be just fine!).

for some reason i could not print a CMB OLCI BP (if that was even available).
Old Apr 21, 2019, 2:09 am

horrible horrible attack but good to know the flight crew are all accounted for!

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/society/article/3007060/hong-kong-tour-groups-safe-sri-lanka-after-bombings-kill-137
Old May 4, 2019, 2:42 am

Programs: Marco Polo Club Diamond
Originally Posted by ermen
horrible horrible attack but good to know the flight crew are all accounted for!

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...bings-kill-137
Yes, this has been absolutely terrible. I wanted to ask whether anyone has done a turnaround since the terrorist attacks and whether there has been any added security in addition to the usual screening at the gates.

Also, Cathay has reduced the number of flights to 3 a week (Tues, Thurs and Sat to CMB), presumably as fewer people are flying there. I had scheduled a flight on a Friday and it got moved to the next day.
Old May 5, 2019, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by whiskyfan

Yes, this has been absolutely terrible. I wanted to ask whether anyone has done a turnaround since the terrorist attacks and whether there has been any added security in addition to the usual screening at the gates.

Also, Cathay has reduced the number of flights to 3 a week (Tues, Thurs and Sat to CMB), presumably as fewer people are flying there. I had scheduled a flight on a Friday and it got moved to the next day.
I'm doing the turnaround in June so I'll let you know after it's completed, although I have a feeling you'll be doing the turnaround before I do!
Old May 7, 2019, 12:46 am

o dear! this is going to be tough on the crew!
how on earth do you operate a CMB turnaround as crew on a a330 (without crew rest?)

(source CX secrets)

"關心crew安危?你想cut cost大家都知架啦,到而家仲唔肯轉返cmb做3 days,呢單恐襲班垃圾高層一定好開心。病向淺中醫,希望你地用d bonus嚟睇醫生。

The rubbish management must be very thankful to this terrorist attack at cmb. Changing the pattern to turnaround ""until further notice""?
Management please use your bonus on your medication

​https://m.facebook.com/cxsecret/?refid=8&_ft_=qid.6688172140904732036%3Amf_story_k ey.7895813540102664132%3Atop_level_post_id.2237888 659622695%3Acontent_owner_id_new.469013679843544%3 Apage_id.469013679843544%3Asrc.22%3Astory_location .5%3Aview_time.1557211424%3Apage_insights.%7B%2246 9013679843544%22%3A%7B%22role%22%3A1%2C%22page_id% 22%3A469013679843544%2C%22post_context%22%3A%7B%22 story_fbid%22%3A2237888659622695%2C%22publish_time %22%3A1557175832%2C%22story_name%22%3A%22EntStatus CreationStory%22%2C%22object_fbtype%22%3A266%7D%2C %22actor_id%22%3A469013679843544%2C%22psn%22%3A%22 EntStatusCreationStory%22%2C%22sl%22%3A5%2C%22dm%2 2%3A%7B%22isShare%22%3A0%2C%22originalPostOwnerID% 22%3A0%7D%2C%22targets%22%3A%5B%7B%22page_id%22%3A 469013679843544%2C%22actor_id%22%3A469013679843544 %2C%22role%22%3A1%2C%22post_id%22%3A22378886596226 95%2C%22share_id%22%3A0%7D%5D%7D%7D&__tn__=C-R​​​​​​
Old May 7, 2019, 12:55 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
I'm not actually sure how this is possible, given the crew duty limits and rest hours required. Duty period starts at 7:10pm for briefing, and would end at 9:05am (landing +30 minutes), implying a 14 hour period. I assume the period at CMB would be classified the same as the rest period in "split duty" is classified and ground hours accrued. Anyway, I know long-hauls are permissable with the caveat that rest periods of 3 hours are required over X length, and 4 hours required over Y length. I can't recall what those are.

So, here's what I suspect will happen: The crew will be split in two, and half will "rest" during the way down after meal service, and the other half will "rest" during the return after meal service. It will really reduce manpower post meal service, although in reality they don't do much then anyway. Still, not an ideal solution.

It either has to be what I'm proposing above, or there could be something I'm overlooking. Since this isn't a continuous flying hour pattern, similar to say a TPE or MNL split duty? (late night departure, 5-6 hours on the ground which is classified as ground hours and a hotel room is granted, followed by an early morning departure. Duty hours for split duty are in the ~9-12 hour range.) The difference with TPE and MNL, though is the flying hours are minimal and they don't hit any of the regs requirements for mandatory rest. Whereas CMB has around ~10 hours maybe more of flying hours in the pattern. 14 hours would be the most extreme split duty I've seen, plus there are far more flying hours to CMB and far fewer ground hours. Anyone know the regs precisely?

I'm certain about the 3 hour rest requirement, and 4 hour requirement for long-hauls. I just can't recall what are the underlying working criteria that must be hit for those to be needed.

I'm sure it's aggressive even if allowed, and there won't be much if any margin for error. Unless CX is to operate out of compliance. But I think my guess above about half the crew resting one way and the other the other way, is most likely. I think the high # of flying hours demands a rest period of at least 3 hours. This would be achievable half on the inbound, half on the outbound if they go to rest immediately after meal service.

Can't begrudge CX for doing it though. It is simply not palatable to send 10-20 employees every day to one of the 5 star hotels in CMB right now. CX may be cost cutting but they are safe and not a bad company, and I imagine they will revert to "normalcy" at some point later on.
Carfield likes this.

Last edited by QRC3288; May 7, 2019 at 1:01 am
Old May 7, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by QRC3288
I'm not actually sure how this is possible, given the crew duty limits and rest hours required. Duty period starts at 7:10pm for briefing, and would end at 9:05am (landing +30 minutes), implying a 14 hour period. I assume the period at CMB would be classified the same as the rest period in "split duty" is classified and ground hours accrued. Anyway, I know long-hauls are permissable with the caveat that rest periods of 3 hours are required over X length, and 4 hours required over Y length. I can't recall what those are.

So, here's what I suspect will happen: The crew will be split in two, and half will "rest" during the way down after meal service, and the other half will "rest" during the return after meal service. It will really reduce manpower post meal service, although in reality they don't do much then anyway. Still, not an ideal solution.

It either has to be what I'm proposing above, or there could be something I'm overlooking. Since this isn't a continuous flying hour pattern, similar to say a TPE or MNL split duty? (late night departure, 5-6 hours on the ground which is classified as ground hours and a hotel room is granted, followed by an early morning departure. Duty hours for split duty are in the ~9-12 hour range.) The difference with TPE and MNL, though is the flying hours are minimal and they don't hit any of the regs requirements for mandatory rest. Whereas CMB has around ~10 hours maybe more of flying hours in the pattern. 14 hours would be the most extreme split duty I've seen, plus there are far more flying hours to CMB and far fewer ground hours. Anyone know the regs precisely?

I'm certain about the 3 hour rest requirement, and 4 hour requirement for long-hauls. I just can't recall what are the underlying working criteria that must be hit for those to be needed.

I'm sure it's aggressive even if allowed, and there won't be much if any margin for error. Unless CX is to operate out of compliance. But I think my guess above about half the crew resting one way and the other the other way, is most likely. I think the high # of flying hours demands a rest period of at least 3 hours. This would be achievable half on the inbound, half on the outbound if they go to rest immediately after meal service.

Can't begrudge CX for doing it though. It is simply not palatable to send 10-20 employees every day to one of the 5 star hotels in CMB right now. CX may be cost cutting but they are safe and not a bad company, and I imagine they will revert to "normalcy" at some point later on.
FYI CX is sending an extra set of crew to operate the return sector.
Carfield likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter
FYI CX is sending an extra set of crew to operate the return sector.
Ah....that's not a turnaround then!
Carfield likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Ah....that's not a turnaround then!
I just did the CMB turnaround last night/ this morning, and can confirm that there is a second set of crew. They don't appear until halfway though the inbound flight CX 610 (CMB to HKG). The SP in the first set of crew came over to me to say goodbye just as CX610 was landing in HK. She did say that she only had 2.5 hours of sleep!

It made me feel bad for the first set of crew... especially compared to how much easier it is for the second set of crew? That said, J class on both legs were about 70% full so it wasn't full-on. I guess the recent bombings did affect tourism to Sri Lanka.

On another data point - I was unable to get my inbound flight BP printed out when I checked-in at HKIA. Staff said that the system wasn't allowing her to print it. So when I got off at CMB I went straight to the Transit Desk and after waiting for 10 mins they got me my BP. It was easy enough, although still not as efficient as getting my BP in HK. So far it has been a mixed bag - sometimes being able to get BP in HK, sometimes not.
Old May 21, 2019, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by flubber
. She did say that she only had 2.5 hours of sleep!

It made me feel bad for the first set of crew... especially compared to how much easier it is for the second set of crew
What????

isnt the flight only 5-6hours? So the first set of crew still managed 2.5 hours? Thats pretty good and they get to rest from cmb-hkg?
how is the 2nd set crew easier?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.