Lifetime Emerald, or CX Diamond?

Old Oct 4, 16, 7:38 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Posts: 877
Lifetime Emerald, or CX Diamond?

One rant, and one question for you all:

Rant: why doesn't CX Marco Polo offer lifetime Emerald status for frequent flyers who have achieved a certain lifetime threshold number of miles/points? Many other airlines such as BA offer some form of lifetime status, both as a long-term incentive to travel with that airline, as well as a long-term reward for loyal passengers.

Question: my travel patterns (un)fortunately mean that I just about hit OWE on two different FF accounts each year - BAEC and CXMP. If I were to clock all my OW travel to the BAEC account, I'll reach lifetime Emerald via BAEC in another 5 or 6 years. If I continue clocking my travel across two accounts in order to keep Emerald on both BAEC and CXMP, it'll take me another 15 years or so to reach lifetime Emerald via BAEC.

What would you do? Certainly there are many benefits to retaining CX Diamond given that HK is my home base, but would it be more rational to just try and get lifetime Emerald quickly instead? I'm in my 40s if that's any help.

Thoughts / suggestions welcome.
Too much travel is offline  
Old Oct 4, 16, 7:45 am
  #2  
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Gold, Hyatt Glob
Posts: 10,423
I would go for lifetime OWE. Then you don't have to stress about getting status anymore.

Depends what benefits you think being diamond might give?
lsquare likes this.
sxc is offline  
Old Oct 4, 16, 8:15 am
  #3  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vancouver
Programs: CX DM, SQ TPP, QF GO LIFE, OZ*G LIFE, Marriott TIT LIFE, WOH GLOBALIST LIFE, HH DM, BA GO LIFE
Posts: 598
Originally Posted by Too much travel View Post
One rant, and one question for you all:

Rant: why doesn't CX Marco Polo offer lifetime Emerald status for frequent flyers who have achieved a certain lifetime threshold number of miles/points? Many other airlines such as BA offer some form of lifetime status, both as a long-term incentive to travel with that airline, as well as a long-term reward for loyal passengers.

Question: my travel patterns (un)fortunately mean that I just about hit OWE on two different FF accounts each year - BAEC and CXMP. If I were to clock all my OW travel to the BAEC account, I'll reach lifetime Emerald via BAEC in another 5 or 6 years. If I continue clocking my travel across two accounts in order to keep Emerald on both BAEC and CXMP, it'll take me another 15 years or so to reach lifetime Emerald via BAEC.

What would you do? Certainly there are many benefits to retaining CX Diamond given that HK is my home base, but would it be more rational to just try and get lifetime Emerald quickly instead? I'm in my 40s if that's any help.

Thoughts / suggestions welcome.
My suggestion is to put your Marco Polo Club membership on holiday for 3 years and preserve your status with CX whilst you earn those lifetime points on BAEC.
380Flyer is offline  
Old Oct 4, 16, 8:59 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Programs: CX,TG,Delta,PAL,EY
Posts: 125
They used to, and discontinued it in 1998. I am one of the fortunate few who qualified before the cut off.


My memory says that the reason given for the discontinuation was that the practice was not allowed by OneWorld. Perhaps my memory is wrong, or the rules have changed in the short period since then.
TomYoung is offline  
Old Oct 4, 16, 9:32 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Posts: 7,695
Originally Posted by TomYoung View Post
They used to, and discontinued it in 1998. I am one of the fortunate few who qualified before the cut off.


My memory says that the reason given for the discontinuation was that the practice was not allowed by OneWorld. Perhaps my memory is wrong, or the rules have changed in the short period since then.
those of us newcomers are.....jealous

What was the criteria before? How much did you need to go before lifetime DM?

I'm marching towards 2mm miles now in a bit under 10 years....and I'm expecting....*maybe* getting an op-up when I cross 2mm. Maybe.
QRC3288 is offline  
Old Oct 4, 16, 9:49 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: BOS/UTH
Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Posts: 12,600
There's a lifetime emerald? I've always been with AA, where that concept is unknown.
Dr. HFH is offline  
Old Oct 4, 16, 9:56 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Posts: 877
Originally Posted by sxc View Post
I would go for lifetime OWE. Then you don't have to stress about getting status anymore.

Depends what benefits you think being diamond might give?
In theory they would be the following (over and above other OWE flying on Cathay)

- having more redemption availability
- being higher priority for waitlist redemptions
- separate phone number for Diamonds
- guaranteed business class seat
- being higher priority for upgrades on overbooked flights
- probably more leeway in terms of lounge access (I have a young family and CX is generous in letting them in)
- the golf cart thingy to further gates at HKIA

Did I miss any? None in isolation are 'wow' but in aggregate they are quite useful.

Oh, and do other OWEs get points when flying on Dragonair? I have never figured out whether Dragonair is a full OW member or not.

TMT
Too much travel is offline  
Old Oct 4, 16, 9:57 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Posts: 877
Originally Posted by 380Flyer View Post
My suggestion is to put your Marco Polo Club membership on holiday for 3 years and preserve your status with CX whilst you earn those lifetime points on BAEC.
Thanks - that's an interesting idea which I may take up.
Too much travel is offline  
Old Oct 4, 16, 11:21 am
  #9  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: None any more
Posts: 11,015
Originally Posted by QRC3288 View Post
What was the criteria before? How much did you need to go before lifetime DM?
My recollection is that it was the same as HK PR - seven years of continuous DM.
christep is offline  
Old Oct 4, 16, 11:45 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Programs: CX,TG,Delta,PAL,EY
Posts: 125
Mr. QRC3288,


One had to vault over 2 hurdles, (1) a minimum of 10 years continuous MP membership and (2) a minimum of 1M miles, all on CX metal of course, since there were no partners, code shares or the like. I suspect most people took much longer than 10 years as very few flew around like some folks do now. If they started in the seventies, it had to be done regionally. The Life Time membership given was Diamond which now brings Emerald along with it. I understand there are very few of us left, can't imagine why.
TomYoung is offline  
Old Oct 4, 16, 8:23 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ...
Posts: 1,021
Originally Posted by QRC3288 View Post
those of us newcomers are.....jealous

What was the criteria before? How much did you need to go before lifetime DM?

I'm marching towards 2mm miles now in a bit under 10 years....and I'm expecting....*maybe* getting an op-up when I cross 2mm. Maybe.
Dare to hope!

I received a thank you card on board for 1.75m miles. No op up.

No opportunity for lifetime status (even if just Gold) is disappointing.
Jane's Addiction is offline  
Old Oct 4, 16, 8:25 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ...
Posts: 1,021
Originally Posted by christep View Post
My recollection is that it was the same as HK PR - seven years of continuous DM.

12 years here.
Jane's Addiction is offline  
Old Oct 4, 16, 9:43 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Posts: 7,695
Originally Posted by TomYoung View Post
Mr. QRC3288,


One had to vault over 2 hurdles, (1) a minimum of 10 years continuous MP membership and (2) a minimum of 1M miles, all on CX metal of course, since there were no partners, code shares or the like. I suspect most people took much longer than 10 years as very few flew around like some folks do now. If they started in the seventies, it had to be done regionally. The Life Time membership given was Diamond which now brings Emerald along with it. I understand there are very few of us left, can't imagine why.
Ahh, I can only imagine!

Thanks for the info.

It's true we can earn faster now - with so many nonstop longhaul flights now, not to mention it's way less painful. And CX wholly owns KA now. Plus long-haul J class hard product today is lightyears ahead of what F class ever was....physical pain of flying is limited to Y class now (and CX regional J, which is a terrible product but space for another thread). I declare now the golden era of travel!

PCX and Asia in general have gotten so huge and mainstream, there are so many more of us flying a lot. But do I ever wish we could score lifetime DM (or even GO) somehow. I'm in year 9 of MPC, almost all of it DM (except for the first 9 months when I worked up from Green to Silver to Gold them to DM). I'll be at 2mm soon. A few of us really spend insane amounts of time onboard CX and KA flights!
QRC3288 is offline  
Old Oct 4, 16, 9:57 pm
  #14  
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Gold, Hyatt Glob
Posts: 10,423
Originally Posted by Too much travel View Post

Oh, and do other OWEs get points when flying on Dragonair? I have never figured out whether Dragonair is a full OW member or not.
Yes they do. They are basically a full member. I suspect the reason they are an "affiliate" as there's some kind of "discount" for wholly owned airlines to become members.
sxc is offline  
Old Oct 4, 16, 11:11 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Programs: CX,TG,Delta,PAL,EY
Posts: 125
This has jogged my memory. The termination was announced in September 1998 to be effective 1 December. My 10 year anniversary was to come up 30 November. My mileage was close to 1M but not there. I finally pushed it over with a weekend in Manila in the second half of November. When I read now of mileage runs, a term never used then, I realize that I made the first and best ever.
csardas likes this.

Last edited by TomYoung; Oct 4, 16 at 11:17 pm
TomYoung is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: