Infant on Award ticket

Old Sep 19, 16, 6:53 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, AAdvantage, Chase Ultimate Rewards, IHG Rewards Platinum
Posts: 52
Infant on Award ticket

Hi guys,

So I'm not sure if this was answered somewhere else, tried looking but couldn't find it. I know that booking CX with AS miles means paying the 25% of revenue fare, which is crazy on a first class award ticket.

My thought is this: what if my family of 3 (wife and lap child) were to book one first class award ticket (wife) and one economy award ticket (me) and add a lap infant to my economy ticket. Then after getting on the flight, to have my wife come back and bring the infant to her seat.

Would that be allowed?
Quikarmani is offline  
Old Sep 19, 16, 7:34 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: BA Silver, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott SL
Posts: 3,595
Originally Posted by Quikarmani View Post
Hi guys,

So I'm not sure if this was answered somewhere else, tried looking but couldn't find it. I know that booking CX with AS miles means paying the 25% of revenue fare, which is crazy on a first class award ticket.

My thought is this: what if my family of 3 (wife and lap child) were to book one first class award ticket (wife) and one economy award ticket (me) and add a lap infant to my economy ticket. Then after getting on the flight, to have my wife come back and bring the infant to her seat.

Would that be allowed?
You should buy the First Class Infant Ticket but not Econ Infant Ticket.
ChrisLi is offline  
Old Sep 19, 16, 10:27 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, AAdvantage, Chase Ultimate Rewards, IHG Rewards Platinum
Posts: 52
wait what? So you're saying to pay $2,000 usd for a first class lap infant award ticket? I'm trying to avoid that.
Quikarmani is offline  
Old Sep 19, 16, 10:33 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 173
Originally Posted by Quikarmani View Post
wait what? So you're saying to pay $2,000 usd for a first class lap infant award ticket? I'm trying to avoid that.
Just $2000? I pay for JFK-HKG infant ticket for $2000 already
cyster2007 is offline  
Old Sep 19, 16, 9:13 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: HKG
Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,627
Originally Posted by Quikarmani View Post
Hi guys,

So I'm not sure if this was answered somewhere else, tried looking but couldn't find it. I know that booking CX with AS miles means paying the 25% of revenue fare, which is crazy on a first class award ticket.

My thought is this: what if my family of 3 (wife and lap child) were to book one first class award ticket (wife) and one economy award ticket (me) and add a lap infant to my economy ticket. Then after getting on the flight, to have my wife come back and bring the infant to her seat.

Would that be allowed?
Your infant has no right to be in the F cabin without an F ticket unfortunately.
You perhaps may be able to sneak your infant in, but don't count on it.

Its unfortunate that AS does not allow for infant redemptions. The only ones that I can think of in OW off the top are QF (free) and BAEC (10% miles).
ermen is offline  
Old Sep 20, 16, 1:20 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, AAdvantage, Chase Ultimate Rewards, IHG Rewards Platinum
Posts: 52
I was pretty sure it would not be allowed, however just wanted to see if others had any ideas.

A new question is this. Does anyone know if flying an award from Syd-Hkg(stop)-Lax on Cathay would require 10% or 25% for a lap infant? I read that it's 10% if it's from USA. Not sure about one way awards to USA count towards 25%. Anyone have experience on this?
Quikarmani is offline  
Old Sep 20, 16, 7:41 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 173
Originally Posted by Quikarmani View Post
I was pretty sure it would not be allowed, however just wanted to see if others had any ideas.

A new question is this. Does anyone know if flying an award from Syd-Hkg(stop)-Lax on Cathay would require 10% or 25% for a lap infant? I read that it's 10% if it's from USA. Not sure about one way awards to USA count towards 25%. Anyone have experience on this?
As fast as I know, all CX/KA flight require 25% of the regular fare for infant
cyster2007 is offline  
Old Sep 20, 16, 9:16 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: HKG
Programs: CX, BA
Posts: 239
Originally Posted by Quikarmani View Post
I was pretty sure it would not be allowed, however just wanted to see if others had any ideas.

A new question is this. Does anyone know if flying an award from Syd-Hkg(stop)-Lax on Cathay would require 10% or 25% for a lap infant? I read that it's 10% if it's from USA. Not sure about one way awards to USA count towards 25%. Anyone have experience on this?
Think its the other way round. It's 25% of full fare from USA and 10% from other locations. Regardless, 10% of full fare is still a lot of $ (for essentially some baby food and diapers).
Gambler is offline  
Old Sep 22, 16, 5:48 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,611
My situation - I may be super cheap but getting 3 adults JFK-HKG for 140k miles business return which is fine. The agent approximated lap child (my 20 month old) to be $900. She said she cannot give me an exact fare though and it can vary when I finally book. What do you folks it would be approximately and I'm wondering if it's better to simply buy another seat for 140k miles rather than paying that $900 cash. My kid is super easy and has flown in bassinets before and stays comfortable so doesn't need a seat but paying $900 doesn't feel great
sam007 is offline  
Old Sep 22, 16, 7:47 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 173
Originally Posted by sam007 View Post
My situation - I may be super cheap but getting 3 adults JFK-HKG for 140k miles business return which is fine. The agent approximated lap child (my 20 month old) to be $900. She said she cannot give me an exact fare though and it can vary when I finally book. What do you folks it would be approximately and I'm wondering if it's better to simply buy another seat for 140k miles rather than paying that $900 cash. My kid is super easy and has flown in bassinets before and stays comfortable so doesn't need a seat but paying $900 doesn't feel great
On March 2016, I purchase infant business ticket JFK-HKG roundtrip for $2000($8000 full fare X 25%), now I think the full fare has been drop down little bit, but still much
cyster2007 is offline  
Old Sep 23, 16, 4:07 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,611
I thought it was 10% and not 25% - which one?

1) Also, is there a site that shows full fares so that I can compute before booking?

2) Lastly, does AA allow canceling a fully ticketed award booking within 24 hours without penalties?

Thx
sam007 is offline  
Old Sep 23, 16, 5:54 pm
  #12  
Moderator: Cathay Pacific Asia Miles and Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Posts: 8,171
Originally Posted by sam007 View Post
I thought it was 10% and not 25% - which one?

1) Also, is there a site that shows full fares so that I can compute before booking?

2) Lastly, does AA allow canceling a fully ticketed award booking within 24 hours without penalties?

Thx
I don't think you can ticket a lap child without a adult companion.

As these questions are regarding AA award, they should be raised in the AA forum. Members there should be able to help.

cxfan1960
CX CoMod
cxfan1960 is offline  
Old Oct 20, 16, 1:43 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,811
Originally Posted by sam007 View Post
I thought it was 10% and not 25% - which one?

1) Also, is there a site that shows full fares so that I can compute before booking?
I've paid 25% before, but CX fares from Canada/US to Asia seem to be 10% now. (which is nice, as I was considering paying miles for an extra award seat instead!)

Price infant fares precisely using matrix.itasoftware.com or Expedia, just enter the passenger types.
jjclancy is offline  
Old Feb 4, 17, 1:02 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, AAdvantage, Chase Ultimate Rewards, IHG Rewards Platinum
Posts: 52
So I called the Asia Miles center in Sydney and got quoted a price of $746 AUD (10% of full fare, said the CSR) for SYD-HKG-LAX. So not sure if this is because I'm flying to the USA, so it's 10% or because I called a non-US call center. Hope this helps.
Quikarmani is offline  
Old Feb 9, 17, 2:11 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: HKG
Posts: 1,052
Originally Posted by Quikarmani View Post
So I called the Asia Miles center in Sydney and got quoted a price of $746 AUD (10% of full fare, said the CSR) for SYD-HKG-LAX. So not sure if this is because I'm flying to the USA, so it's 10% or because I called a non-US call center. Hope this helps.
I have been quoted 25% through CX Germany, so me thinks it's cause you're flying to the US
gpia is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: