Mid-Tier benefit: Lounge Pass

Old Mar 11, 18, 5:55 am

Programs: CX DM, IHG G, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Silver
You can choose any business class lounge, but you can only do so after the online check in time has begun, ie 48 hrs before the flight departs. You have to assign it to her ticket, and she has to be flying on a one world airline (of course if she is flying on CX it is ok) You can simply choose the lounge when you get to HK airport.
Old Mar 11, 18, 6:45 pm

Programs: Cathay Pacific
thank you for your advice XP2000! much appreciated!
Old Mar 20, 18, 11:29 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Piggybacking on this thread.

Any issues using my lounge passes for a redemption group member travelling on an award ticket issued by a partner? Oneway Avios redemption in coach exHKG.
Old Mar 21, 18, 1:50 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by jagmeets View Post
Piggybacking on this thread.

Any issues using my lounge passes for a redemption group member travelling on an award ticket issued by a partner? Oneway Avios redemption in coach exHKG.
although no experience, I don't think it should be a problem.

I've now issued a number of these lounge passes. Including for cash tickets, CX Asia Miles award tickets, and even ID. Never had a problem. The only technical issue I've had is when someone's name on the ticket doesn't precisely match your matching entry for that person in the redemption group.

Dear CX: Here is how to make these lounge benefits more useful (they presently are badly done, although a good idea): Permit one-off additions to the redemption group solely for the purpose of burning mid-tier benefits. I was faced with this issue a few days ago. Family member flying CX. Not in my redemption group. I could've changed him in/out for $100 total (since I never book for this family member, ever), that's the round-trip transaction cost to put him in, and take him out. It seems stupid for me to pay $100 USD to let him in with my "free" pass. I'd rather just give him $100 to burn at Caviar House if that's the case.

Because I'm not burning the passes on people I'm traveling with; my usual +2 is almost always more than enough. And then I only have 5 redemption group members, plus 1 free change a year. Essentially I can have 6 unique people a year, although once you swap for free you can't swap back for free....so some strategy is required, aka not as straightforward as having 6 unique people. I find these lounge passes are very on the whim "hey you're flying through HKG? On CX? Great you want to use one of my lounge passes?" "Oh wait....sorry....you have to be in my redemption group..."It's just the idea of spending another $100 USD to get someone into the lounge for "free" with me "benefit" seems so dumb.

For the family member, we didn't do it. He just spent more time in the city. Totally missed opportunity.

The other missed opportunity is finding a way to permit passengers flying on non-OW airlines to use the passes. You'd think a passenger flying on EK J/F or SQ J/F would be a prime target to show off the Pier F....but can't do it.
kaka likes this.
Old Mar 21, 18, 4:08 am

Thanks! Will post back on how it goes.

totally agree with you on this being quite a useless/tough to use benefit!
Old Mar 21, 18, 8:15 am

Programs: AA UA DL AS CXDM JL NH Hilton Hyatt Marriott SPG IHG
No problem at all. We did this when I was downgraded to GO, booked 4 BA tickets on CX flights, GO can bring one, the other two got in with the mid-tier lounge passes. But remember to do it online while OLCI.
Old Mar 21, 18, 8:46 am

Thanks!
Old Apr 1, 18, 7:49 am

Quick report back- requested online during the window and OLCI spat out a bp with the F class lounge invite. The agent at Airport Express did need prompting though.

lucky coincidence this time...pretty sure that iíll hit 16-1900CPs this year, and pretty sure that I wonít be able to use the lounge passes again.
Old Apr 11, 18, 9:42 am

Programs: CX Something, SQ Soon to be Something, QF Nothing, AS Soon to be Something
Previous answers are leaning towards only being able to access one lounge...can someone confirm whether you can only access one lounge within an airport? I.e. can I visit both The Pier & The Wing?
Old Apr 11, 18, 6:14 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by AJ747M View Post
Previous answers are leaning towards only being able to access one lounge...can someone confirm whether you can only access one lounge within an airport? I.e. can I visit both The Pier & The Wing?
Haha mate, can you point me to those misleading answers?

No, you can definitely lounge hop. You actually don't need the invitation because the barcode of your BP links with CX's system saying you have lounge access once it has been activated for you, so as to why CX still spits out lounge invitations is a mystery to me given their obsession with cost cutting. They're not exactly elegant or anything...

Back to the topic. You'll be fine. But I still recommend getting a "re-entry" stamp on your BP. You can just ask at entrance, they may even do it proactively. It's either red or blue for F or J, I can't remember which is which. This will provide you with peace of mind. Re-entry stamp is a misleading term because it allowed you to "re-enter" all the lounges.

In case this answer is at all confusing, let me be clear: you are not stuck in the first lounge you enter.

Although I struggle to use my mid-tier lounge benefits like jagmeets , I have succeeded twice (tangent: out of 6 so far, two went to waste, two successfully burned, two more in my account...this benefit could really be improved if they'd just let you one-off add/remove people from the redemption group for the sole purpose of lounge redemption). One person I used it for is an infrequent flier and went to maximize the lounge experience as it's something he doesnt receive normally. He visited every CX lounge at the airport! And now this guy thinks CX is the world's most amazing airline now because of it, he was blown away by the lounges, so it's a great promotional thing for CX. Just so dumb how restrictive they (unintentionally) make it and how many of us can't use them, considering they could actually gain customers from it.
Arbeysix likes this.
Old Apr 13, 18, 3:14 am

Programs: CX Something, SQ Soon to be Something, QF Nothing, AS Soon to be Something
@QRC3288 great! "You can choose any business class lounge" from xp2000's post above is what led me to believe you could only access one. Looking forward to hopping around for a few hours!
Old Apr 13, 18, 10:53 pm

Programs: Ex *A now CX. IHG/Marriott convert
Any idea how long are these passes valid for? I've had them in my record for over a year now but still haven't had a chance to use them
Old Jun 26, 18, 2:58 am
Ritz-Carlton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: CX MPC Diamond, BAEC Gold
Hello everyone,

I've got a few questions about the pass...

I'm presently a Silver member, but I'm due to get upgraded to Gold after my next flight (in a few weeks).

I have a lounge pass I got from my Green days which is due to expire soon. I haven't much use for it given my travel patterns, and thus, nor do my travel companions. I coincidentally have a friend who is travelling on CX Y with a rather long layover in HK, whom I hope I could help .

Given how these passes are issued when I was a Green member (allowing redemption for oneself/travel companion), once I get to Gold, am I eligible to use that old Green pass, for one of my redemption group members (my friend here)?

Also, given that one is flying multiple segments, can I decide on which segment the lounge pass would be used for?

cheers!

clubeurope
Old Jun 26, 18, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by clubeurope View Post
Hello everyone,

I've got a few questions about the pass...

I'm presently a Silver member, but I'm due to get upgraded to Gold after my next flight (in a few weeks).

I have a lounge pass I got from my Green days which is due to expire soon. I haven't much use for it given my travel patterns, and thus, nor do my travel companions. I coincidentally have a friend who is travelling on CX Y with a rather long layover in HK, whom I hope I could help .

Given how these passes are issued when I was a Green member (allowing redemption for oneself/travel companion), once I get to Gold, am I eligible to use that old Green pass, for one of my redemption group members (my friend here)?

Also, given that one is flying multiple segments, can I decide on which segment the lounge pass would be used for?

cheers!

clubeurope
Does the GR voucher expire *after* you will have achieved GO status? Interesting scenario.

As for the segments: Generally, sure, you can pick when you want to make use of any voucher. But AFAIK they don't work for contracted lounges, only proper CX lounges (someone may correct me please).
Old Jun 27, 18, 1:01 am

Programs: Ex *A now CX. IHG/Marriott convert
No. The passes you earned as a Green member will have the same conditions for redemption even after you have been upgraded to GO. IE you can only redeem these Green passes for a travel companion who is travelling on the same itinerary.

If you look in the mid-Tier benefit summary, the pass should be tagged [Green Member].

Yes agreed with gpia. You can select the segment for redemption upon check-in.

In practice though, once you are GO, the check in counter will not print out the redeemed pass for your companion because they assume you will invite them in with your lounge pass.

Search this Thread