Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKG-JNB J availability

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This is so odd - our flight on Sept 6 seems to be wide open in Y and EY award inventory per BA, and there are 5 J seats available.
Sept 7 also have wide open Y and EY but only 1 J seat.

In a week's period, only the 6th and 7th have plenty of award seats.

Odd pattern.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 10:37 pm

I have taken this flight twice, once at Christmas and once at CNY. Booked were booked in PE. The Christmas flight was completely full both ways; got upgraded to J HKG-JNB

CNY flight was empty in the front. On the return there were two passengers in PE: me and a friend and another two in J (another two friends)

Managed to get two J award tickets for CNY 2017 no problem, lots of availability when booking (March 2016)
Old Aug 22, 2016, 10:56 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
For those ex-JNB fans out there, it seems like the JNB-HKG-USA I fare is now discontinued
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:22 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
For those ex-JNB fans out there, it seems like the JNB-HKG-USA I fare is now discontinued
D's still there - circa ZAR 53.5K
Old Nov 9, 2016, 7:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
I am certainly late to this post, but in the middle of Oct, we booked 2 U (Business class) tickets LAX-HKG-JNB with Alaska points, RT in May 2017. Plenty of space at that time.

We have not booked seats yet. Guess we should.

We are in SAN area, so we will rent a car, drive to LAX, turn it in, shuttle to a hotel, spend the night and shuttle back. On the return we will rent a car and drive home, double drive to the rental car and come home from there in our car. This will be cheaper that 2 people van from home to LAX, which cannot be done conveniently for a 9:30 am flight. So a night stay still will be likely. Return is easy either way. Van +-$300 each way. Rental last time about $100.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm trying to book some flights to JNB on CX with AK in J for this Summer (US summer). Finding availability is very odd with almost only Tues's having more than one seat.

Anyone noticed trends on release of these J seats lately? Wife and I flew this in Aug 2016 and didn't have any problems finding dates for our return.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Happy
This is so odd - our flight on Sept 6 seems to be wide open in Y and EY award inventory per BA, and there are 5 J seats available.
Sept 7 also have wide open Y and EY but only 1 J seat.

In a week's period, only the 6th and 7th have plenty of award seats.

Odd pattern.
That's what I'm noticing for Summer still. 6th and 7th were Tues/Wed back in Sept.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:01 am

Is it common for CX not to release space for JNB route even if the J cabin is pretty empty? The availability seems to be very different from other routes of CX such as USA. Even 7 days before departure when J cabin is empty, CX seems not willing to release J seat for award tickets.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: SQ, SK, QR
Originally Posted by ma930407
Is it common for CX not to release space for JNB route even if the J cabin is pretty empty? The availability seems to be very different from other routes of CX such as USA. Even 7 days before departure when J cabin is empty, CX seems not willing to release J seat for award tickets.
Just one data point for this:

Flew HKG > JNB on August 7. Flights on the days before were pretty much full in J - my flight was empty. When I checked approximately 1 week before departure, award seats had opened up for my flight, and a few other empty flights in the following days. However, it seems many tickets are purchased a few days before travel, which may be why CX is reluctant to open up space even when there is 9+ seats available.

Also just looking at flights this upcoming week, most are near fully booked or sold out - especially in J. It's a popular route.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by AJ747M
Just one data point for this:

Flew HKG > JNB on August 7. Flights on the days before were pretty much full in J - my flight was empty. When I checked approximately 1 week before departure, award seats had opened up for my flight, and a few other empty flights in the following days. However, it seems many tickets are purchased a few days before travel, which may be why CX is reluctant to open up space even when there is 9+ seats available.

Also just looking at flights this upcoming week, most are near fully booked or sold out - especially in J. It's a popular route.
Yes, this is a very popular route. Good luck getting J in it. I flew it in W after trying hard for months unsuccessfully. Get a bulkhead in W and it wasn't really that bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.