Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

Any possible ways to aviod USD120 or 12000 Asia Miles for cancelling an award ticket?

Any possible ways to aviod USD120 or 12000 Asia Miles for cancelling an award ticket?

Old Jul 6, 16, 2:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Question Any possible ways to aviod USD120 or 12000 Asia Miles for cancelling an award ticket?

Hi there, any experienced CX flyers, please help.

I'm only the lowly Asia Miles member (my MP club green membership expired in April) and have a oneway award ticket for myself for traveling from HKG to YVR in Premium Economy on CX flight for 50,000 Asia Miles. However, I am going change my travel plan and want to go to Japan instead. I know I can cancel the award ticket and have my 50,000 Asia Miles redeposited to my AM account by spending USD120 or 12,000 Asia Miles. I just want to know if there are any possible ways to avoid the penalty?

Since this is a oneway ticket, will the service fee cut half? Will it be USD60 or 6,000 Asia Miles instead?

If I cancel the current reservation and rebook it for myself or for 2 of us (myself and my wife together) oneway to from HKG to Japan, will the rebooking fee be cheaper?

Anything works? Please advise. Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 6, 16, 2:32 am

only IF the HKG-YYZ flight that you have booked is cancelled or seriously delayed.
Old Jul 6, 16, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by GordonGordon View Post
I just want to know if there are any possible ways to avoid the penalty?
Not really.

Since this is a oneway ticket, will the service fee cut half? Will it be USD60 or 6,000 Asia Miles instead?
You wish.

If I cancel the current reservation and rebook it for myself or for 2 of us (myself and my wife together) oneway to from HKG to Japan, will the rebooking fee be cheaper?
Yes, $100 or 10K AM.
Old Jul 6, 16, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Originally Posted by garykung View Post

Yes, $100 or 10K AM.
Thanks Gary! It will save me 20 bucks, better than nothing. The original ticket is for 1 person (myself), can I rebook it for 2 persons? When I do the rebooking, is it necessary to be the same destination? I'm going to change the ticket for 2 persons and different destination, for example, NRT instead of YVR and the departure city HKG remains the same.
Old Jul 6, 16, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LchChester View Post
only IF the HKG-YYZ flight that you have booked is cancelled or seriously delayed.
I think UA allows people to cancel the award tickets for free when the itinerary involves schedule change. Hope CX will do the same. I will keep my eye on it.
Old Jul 6, 16, 9:06 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Only if you are sick, dying or dead....

That's what I tell my students before when I was teaching in college.
Old Jul 7, 16, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
The original ticket is for 1 person (myself), can I rebook it for 2 persons?
Yes, depending on how the agent does it.

When I do the rebooking, is it necessary to be the same destination?
No.

I think UA allows people to cancel the award tickets for free when the itinerary involves schedule change. Hope CX will do the same. I will keep my eye on it.
The issue is UA will experience more schedule irregularity due to various reasons that will never happen in HKG. So the chance is very slim.
Old Jul 7, 16, 7:03 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Free cancellations will be given for:
- service cancelled or significantly rescheduled
- change of equipment leading to loss of class of service

With AM, travel advisory probably just gets free rebooking
Old Jul 7, 16, 3:04 pm

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Spire
I am trying to remember the exact way i did this... you might need to chat with the agent on the phone.

I think I cancelled the reservation, but left it as an open ticket.

The miles did not go back into my bank. And they did not charge me the $100.

I then just called them maybe 6 months later and set a new departure date.

What might have made that possible is that I was keeping the same departure and arrival destinations. But I'm not sure... can't remember.

I know it saved me the $100. But I didn't like it because there is nothing written that confirms all of this. It doesn't show up on your account as an open ticket. And to use it you need to call.
Old Jul 7, 16, 7:31 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Gongzuokuang what you did is a rebooking. That's not a cancellation, so no US$120/12,000AM is payable. However to set your new departure date you would have been charged US$25/1,000AM per segment (you might have been charged for two), weren't you?
Old Jul 8, 16, 7:49 am

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
Gongzuokuang what you did is a rebooking. That's not a cancellation, so no US$120/12,000AM is payable. However to set your new departure date you would have been charged US$25/1,000AM per segment (you might have been charged for two), weren't you?
I can't remember. They don't really seem to provide much documentation on these transactions, so there isn't any record. I do show a charge from Cathay for about $71 USD, so maybe that is it. I can't even remember precisely which trip used this.

I do remember thinking that it created a lot of uncertainty... driven by the lack of documentation or records. Basically, the agent said "Just call us, we have the record." I hate those kinds of answers because I have visions of calling back in 4 months and having them say, "We have no record of that." I'm sure it would eventually get sorted out... after months of chasing them.

I have a similar situation going now, where I have a reservation using AsiaMiles, but might switch later. If I do need to switch, I'd pay the $100 to get the miles back, especially if the rebook fee cost me $71.

I do wonder if the the taxes/fuel were ever refunded. There is some sort of surcharge when you book redemptions; something for taxes and/or fuel. Can't remember exactly. But I don't recall getting any refund. And if the rebook was $25, and I was charged $71... then the extra must've been for taxes. So that means I might have paid them twice? Once when I originally booked, and a second time when I rebooked?

Anyway... sorry I can't be more precise.
Old Feb 4, 20, 2:48 am

Programs: MPC Silver
If I'm cancelling my rewards ticket due to this 2019-nCov virus, is this something that Asiamiles will consider and waive penalty fees?
Old Feb 4, 20, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmatthew View Post
If I'm cancelling my rewards ticket due to this 2019-nCov virus, is this something that Asiamiles will consider and waive penalty fees?
Extremely unlikely, unless you are within the waiver window.

I just tried to get the fee waived for a revenue ticket and failed.
percysmith likes this.
Old Feb 4, 20, 4:35 pm

Programs: CX MPO GO (=SPH), IHG Spire Amb, Hertz 5*, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by dmatthew View Post
If you are not travelling soon, you can wait a bit longer to see if new waivers will be released.
Old Feb 4, 20, 5:29 pm

Also don't forget to consider when your Asia Miles expire. The one's I used will expire later this year so if I cancel I also need to figure out a plan B to use them before they expire. Unless somehow they are magically made into the new post 1/1/20 miles upon cancellation (I think that is unlikely).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: