Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX WILL interline to other oneworld airlines if travelling on separate PNRs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
As of 1 January 2017, CX will interline on separate tickets to their airline partners once again.

to 31 Dec 2016 CX Agents' advisory http://www.cxagents.com/cxa/gc/en_HK/ln2
from 1 Jan 2017 http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...e-tickets.html

Ausbt article: http://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-pacif...-baggage-rules
http://www.ausbt.com.au/did-oneworld...of-a-nightmare
http://www.ausbt.com.au/oneworld-air...ecting-flights

AA: will not check through separate PNRs (own or partner) https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/Age...%20Tickets.pdf
MH: still check through two PNRs (own or partner)
CX/KA: check through CX/KA separate PNRs. Will resume checking through to partners starting 1 Jan 2017 http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...e-tickets.html
JL: Will through check. http://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/inter/161003.html
QR: will check through separate PNRs (own or partner) from 01 MAR. https://www.ausbt.com.au/qatar-airways-ditches-oneworld-s-restrictive-baggage-rules
QF: Will check through QF to QF separate PNRs, will not check through partner separate PNRs (from 1 Sep 2016)
BA: Will not check through partner or other airlines' separate PNRs. WIll not check through BA-BA on seperate PNR's (as of 15 Nov 16)
IB: Will check through IB to IB separate PNRs
LA: will not check through separate PNRs (own or partner)
AY: Will check through AY to AY separate PNRs, will not check through partner separate PNRs
Print Wikipost

CX WILL interline to other oneworld airlines if travelling on separate PNRs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2018, 11:01 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by Happy
Yes, another poster in the QF forum also tells me to get CX to add the QF flight to the oncarriage, so it will merge the 2 tickets together. The biggest advantage is, it then would protect me when CX delay causes a misconnect.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30259927-post16.html

The worry I have is there might be misconnect due to CX105 has poor on time record. I did not realize it until 2 days ago I accidentally saw a 1.5 hr delay. Then I looked deeper on the flight's history and did not like what I saw.
The past 2 weeks on top of many 10 to 20 min delay, it has 4 sizable delays, 1 over 45 min, 1 over an hour, 1 at 1.5 hour on Sept 28, and then 3.5 hours! on Set 29! That is bothersome to me.

But if thru check could merge the 2 separate tickets together as you said, we would be viewed as "connecting" passengers, then the system will protect us should CX has significant delay on our day of travel.

I would love to read about your previous experiences but the link gave me "page not found" error both by using the shorten form or the full form.

EDIT
Found it by a different method. It happened in July so fairly recent data points.
Your experience reinforce what I am told by ozgirl747 on QF forum, the value in through check is not just getting the BP, but also seems to protect you on the connection if your misconnect is caused by CX's delay departure. It does seem that once the through check is done, you are viewed as "transfer" passengers in the "connecting" airline's system, and not an originating passenger.

You mentioned about getting a new BP, were you misconnected on the original flight and being put on a new flight? Or they still need MH issued BP instead of the CX issued BP?
No it was the same BP for the original departing flight (only one MH departures from DEL).

im not sure whether they needed a MH BP and whether CX one would have sufficed (did not have time to check). but previously, if you do it manually (and they dont allow OLCI self printed BP), one needed to faff around the transit counter for half hour whilst CX "handed" you over to MH which was inefficient... having CX print my BP was insurance to bypass the transit desk
Old Sep 29, 2018, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith

I haven't had a CX int-QF dom connection yet - probably cos more flights to Sydney than anywhere else so Sydney is usually my first port of call and I'm obliged to overnight (eat with my family) before travelling on.

I will have my first one next Easter. CX105 to MEL on AM-QF1013 to HBA on Avios. 100 minute connection. I haven't looked at CX105 delay.

But for CX-JL, I've been getting resolute nos even on one ticket, same airport (HKG-KIX-CTS and HKG-NGO-CTS)
wont be surprised if its one of those japanese airport rules..
some airports dont allow through check of luggage (eg HND - xCTS - HKG not allowed even though JL tried). but all speculation off course.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Why should I not like the answer?
I picked my MEL-BNE with 3.5 hr time gap that factored in a) the easy transfer from T2 to T1, b) non peak hour international arrival, and c) about an hour max delay of CX105...
The reality is, CX105 has poor on time record that I have not found out until, like, 3 days ago - a day after I booked the Avios ticket.

I know MEL is very easy to connect due to T1, 2 and 3 all in the same building, plus the Smartgate, also have the Express Path due to business class.
But you still have to arrive on schedule on the CX105. And that is the crux of the problem.

The determinant issue is CX105 often has delays. On Sept 28 it delayed 1.5 hrs. On Sept 29 it delayed 3.5 hrs. On Sept 19 it delayed 1 hr. Several 30 to 45 min delays in the past 20 days, plus the usual 10 to 20 min delays. On time departure is just 60%.

The night it delayed 3.5 hr was all mechanical snag according to a poster who told me he was on that flight. HKG airport operated perfectly fine. Most flights, CX and others departed within mins before or after their scheduled time during the time CX105 sat on the ground. There were only a few delays of other airlines but much shorter than CX105. Though Hong Kong airline had an outright cancel. So the air traffic had nothing to do with the habitual delays CX105 has demonstrated. Just that something does not work smoothly with this flight for whatever reasons because other CX longhaul flights depart at similar window dont have nearly as frequent delays.

During the past 2 weeks, the arrivals were all late, between 30min to 3.5 hrs late. If there are over 4 to 5 arrivals have over an hour or much more delay within 2 weeks period, that is too high a ratio to count on the on time arrival which your speedy connection depends on it.

The inbound flights to serve CX105 seem to be all over the places. Most often is from SIN or BKK. The huge delay on Sept 29, it was from SGN. Tonight's though, was from PER... These are per Flightaware. I dont know how accurate they are.

My travel day is 2nd week of Nov. Right now I dont feel good on the supposedly easy connection due to the poor on time record of CX105.
i wouldnt fret. even with 1:30hr delay you will be fine - leaving a 2hr connection... QF dom is really easy easy easy..

but yeah 3.5hrs with tech issue is really being unlucky ( i would call that tail risk)...
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 6:12 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Wait.

My connecting flight is 1240, so I have 90 mins on CX105 not 100 min. Ouch.

Looking at the 7 days again, I see some 40 minute delays in the last two days. Would be a rush to belt it to domestic in T-30.

I've moved to the 1515 now. Fortunately there still seem to be seats on that on my day.

Last edited by percysmith; Oct 6, 2018 at 6:56 am
Old Oct 6, 2018, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by percysmith
Wait.

My connecting flight is 1240, so I have 90 mins on CX105 not 100 min. Ouch.

Looking at the 7 days again, I see some 40 minute delays in the last two days. Would be a rush to belt it to domestic in T-30.

I've moved to the 1515 now. Fortunately there still seem to be seats on that on my day.
Told you CX105 is very unreliable. No idea why it is so as other CX longhauls leaving at similar time dont have such poor on time records. It has 4 delays out of the most recent 7 flights, and as you said, a few of them were over 40 min. To be exact, 2 were delayed over 40 min and 2 were delayed over 30 min, out of the recent 7 flights!
I am taking the "comfort" on the one hour built in expected delay when I booked the Avios tickets, while hoping to see CX releases HKG-BNE J seats, and willing to pay AS 2x $125 for that. There were 2 days popping up but unfortunately one is too early and one is too late.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Interline bags via HKG on CX/CA separate tickets?

I realise this is not a OW issue, but does anyone believe I can check bags through on separate tickets Phnom Penh-HKG (CX) and then HKG-PEK-FRA (CA).

Just trying to avoid having to go in and out/collecting and re-checking bags at HKG....
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland
I realise this is not a OW issue, but does anyone believe I can check bags through on separate tickets Phnom Penh-HKG (CX) and then HKG-PEK-FRA (CA).

Just trying to avoid having to go in and out/collecting and re-checking bags at HKG....
They are allowed to try. But whether they succeed is highly dependent on their skills I guess
Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Yes, CX should do that for you. Through-check to final destination Frequently asked questions - Cathay Pacific
Old Nov 26, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold
Flew roundtrip SLC - LAX on an AA PNR and LAX - HKG - DEL on a separate CX PNR as an AA Plat Pro (OWS). SLC - LAX was delayed by 1.5h, which reduced my connection time in LAX (on separate CX PNR) to about 2h. Despite the delay, AA agents at SLC refused to interline my bags to CX. They asked me to call AA on the phone to link the two PNRs, and the AA Plat Pro desk told me to call CX to link the PNRs before the SLC AA agents will interline the bags. They just sent me on a wild goose chase, only to have CX tell me they have no control over AA's interlining of bags. AA agents in SLC and Plat Pro phone line were essentially insulting the customer's intelligence.

On the return, the CX desk in DEL was staffed by a local outsourced company. They interlined my bags to AA on the separate PNR without any question. They even issued a boarding pass for the AA flight (which was on a separate PNR) without me asking.

Talk about classy service from CX. AA and CX are night and day when it comes to customer service. I'm an AA Ex Plat (OWE) now, but I'll try to fly CX whenever I have the chance.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: OWE, *Gold, STE+, Globalist, Titanium, Spire, Diamond
If I don't have oneworld status and I fly from HKG-LHR in CX First (award) and then LHR-KEF in BA Economy (cash, non-basic), I understand that CX will interline the the luggage but will I be able to check in a second piece without penalty due to the LHR-KEF leg only including one? I assume yes, but not with confidence as these are separate tickets.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:13 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by ALGU
If I don't have oneworld status and I fly from HKG-LHR in CX First (award) and then LHR-KEF in BA Economy (cash, non-basic), I understand that CX will interline the the luggage but will I be able to check in a second piece without penalty due to the LHR-KEF leg only including one? I assume yes, but not with confidence as these are separate tickets.
My previous experience Y-to-Y, separate tickets, from CX to BA, is that CX will check-through and the 2nd bag arrives fine without any additional charge asked by BA.
percysmith and ALGU like this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: OWE, *Gold, STE+, Globalist, Titanium, Spire, Diamond
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
My previous experience Y-to-Y, separate tickets, from CX to BA, is that CX will check-through and the 2nd bag arrives fine without any additional charge asked by BA.
Appreciate the DP!
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Appreciate the DP!
Btw this was May 2017. RMQ-(KA)-HKG-(CX)-LHR and then LHR-(BA)-GVA. The BA ticket only had 1PC while the CX ticket had 30K. In fact, I think I had over 30kg and used my extra 10kg allowance from MPO membership. Technically it was KA-CX-BA but this shouldn't matter.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
Last week flew NRT-HKG-BRU (J / CX) - LHR (Y / BA "plus" fare) on separate tickets.
The check in agent at NRT happily checked our luggage all the way through including multiple pieces, after confirming that my QF status was sufficient to grant us an extra piece (by looking at BA's website). The nature of his checking (and from what he was typing into his terminal) definitely made it seem like they need to provide some justification for the override action, I expect if you're over your allowance then potentially CX are more likely to get dinged for any extra cost rather than you the end pax.

Our 3 bags were in the first 10 off the baggage belt at Heathrow as well, which was a nice bonus at the end of our trip!
Old Mar 5, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by pythonisman
Last week flew NRT-HKG-BRU (J / CX) - LHR (Y / BA "plus" fare) on separate tickets.
The check in agent at NRT happily checked our luggage all the way through including multiple pieces, after confirming that my QF status was sufficient to grant us an extra piece (by looking at BA's website). The nature of his checking (and from what he was typing into his terminal) definitely made it seem like they need to provide some justification for the override action, I expect if you're over your allowance then potentially CX are more likely to get dinged for any extra cost rather than you the end pax. !
I think your itin (my bold) above would give me comfort that I should (would) not have difficulty in getting bags checked to my final destination. My itin is: DUB-xHKG-xBOM-KUL. I am flying ONE PRN in J cabins for the first 2 CX segments, and MH for the last segment..
Do you think I should have any problem? Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.