Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX WILL interline to other oneworld airlines if travelling on separate PNRs

Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
As of 1 January 2017, CX will interline on separate tickets to their airline partners once again.

to 31 Dec 2016 CX Agents' advisory http://www.cxagents.com/cxa/gc/en_HK/ln2
from 1 Jan 2017 http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...e-tickets.html

Ausbt article: http://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-pacif...-baggage-rules
http://www.ausbt.com.au/did-oneworld...of-a-nightmare
http://www.ausbt.com.au/oneworld-air...ecting-flights

AA: will not check through separate PNRs (own or partner) https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/Age...%20Tickets.pdf
MH: still check through two PNRs (own or partner)
CX/KA: check through CX/KA separate PNRs. Will resume checking through to partners starting 1 Jan 2017 http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...e-tickets.html
JL: Will through check. http://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/inter/161003.html
QR: will check through separate PNRs (own or partner) from 01 MAR. https://www.ausbt.com.au/qatar-airways-ditches-oneworld-s-restrictive-baggage-rules
QF: Will check through QF to QF separate PNRs, will not check through partner separate PNRs (from 1 Sep 2016)
BA: Will not check through partner or other airlines' separate PNRs. WIll not check through BA-BA on seperate PNR's (as of 15 Nov 16)
IB: Will check through IB to IB separate PNRs
LA: will not check through separate PNRs (own or partner)
AY: Will check through AY to AY separate PNRs, will not check through partner separate PNRs
Print Wikipost

CX WILL interline to other oneworld airlines if travelling on separate PNRs

Old Dec 11, 2019, 2:25 pm

I understand the need to pick up and rechecked but latam check through to JL connection on different pnr last Dec on Jfk. I just picked up the luggage, go through custom, then drop them at the one world connection desk post custom.

Didn't have to wait till the jal counters open.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 5:47 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by tboons
I understand the need to pick up and rechecked but latam check through to JL connection on different pnr last Dec on Jfk. I just picked up the luggage, go through custom, then drop them at the one world connection desk post custom.

Didn't have to wait till the jal counters open.
Ah - there's a connection desk (I know one exists for QF in LAX for their QF SYD-LAX-JFK, but that one is same flight number).

Poor performance CX HKG F check-in didn't know about that desk.

Should be valid for any transit (since JFK doesn't shut down for passengers in the middle of the night unlike HKG)
Old Dec 12, 2019, 4:37 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by percysmith
You were rightly denied through check but the explanation is wrong. The correct explanation is your luggage cannot be through checked thru the US - even if you don't enter.
That shouldn't matter. For any transfer to domestic flight (incl. JFK), I am always through-checked. Just need to claim bags before customs and re-drop them afterwards.
percysmith, Global321 and tboons like this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 10:52 pm

Ah - there's a connection desk (I know one exists for QF in LAX for their QF SYD-LAX-JFK, but that one is same flight number).

Poor performance CX HKG F check-in didn't know about that desk.

Should be valid for any transit (since JFK doesn't shut down for passengers in the middle of the night unlike HKG)
Terminal 8 do shut down. Had the luck to experience it when my latam flight was severely delayed due to the snow storm
Old Jan 9, 2020, 4:55 am

I just booked a flight departing tomorrow JFK-HKG-KUL (originally booked on QR but yes, I'm one of the paranoid people but that's for another day). Booking was made through Amex travel on AA marketed flight, but on CX metal. Amex has one record locator. AA has one record locator. But when I went to check in on CX, it's showing up as two separate RT flights JFK-HGK and HKG-KUL. I need them to link it. Will they link for me at check-in counter at JFK?

I called AA, they say it's Cathay's issue, they don't know why Cathay has it as two separate records. I called Amex, their CX partnership line is currently closed so they said to call back but I'm going to be at work meetings all day and will probably miss the window to call.

Someone please tell me it's a non-issue to link at check-in counter at JFK so I can stop stressing out about this. I mean, if they will interline One World flights, why won't they do CX to CX even though it's an AA marketed flight?

*edited to add that I sent a DM on Twitter to Cathay, they said the two record locators is no problem, it automatically happens when booking through partner airline but it’s still one booking and they will check in my luggage through to KUL. I guess I’m ok..?

Thank you!

Last edited by suziemay; Jan 9, 2020 at 5:09 am
Old Jan 9, 2020, 5:35 am

If it's CX metal then it's CX's check in and CX's policy and they'll check u thru even if you're holding two separate pieces of paper.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 6:26 am

If it's CX metal then it's CX's check in and CX's policy and they'll check u thru even if you're holding two separate pieces of paper.
Thank you!
Old Jan 10, 2020, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by suziemay
I just booked a flight departing tomorrow JFK-HKG-KUL (originally booked on QR but yes, I'm one of the paranoid people but that's for another day). Booking was made through Amex travel on AA marketed flight, but on CX metal. Amex has one record locator. AA has one record locator. But when I went to check in on CX, it's showing up as two separate RT flights JFK-HGK and HKG-KUL. I need them to link it. Will they link for me at check-in counter at JFK?

I called AA, they say it's Cathay's issue, they don't know why Cathay has it as two separate records. I called Amex, their CX partnership line is currently closed so they said to call back but I'm going to be at work meetings all day and will probably miss the window to call.

Someone please tell me it's a non-issue to link at check-in counter at JFK so I can stop stressing out about this. I mean, if they will interline One World flights, why won't they do CX to CX even though it's an AA marketed flight?

*edited to add that I sent a DM on Twitter to Cathay, they said the two record locators is no problem, it automatically happens when booking through partner airline but it’s still one booking and they will check in my luggage through to KUL. I guess I’m ok..?

Thank you!
Just coming to report back that at the airport check-in desk, they had me as flying to HKG only so I had to give them my HKG-KUL flight number for them to link and check baggage through, but as Percy said it was a non-issue. I still think it’s weird that it split the flights even though my booking was for JFK-KUL via HKG, and not two separate RT. Apparently this happens often for AA marketed CX codeshare flights.
percysmith likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 5:54 pm

Apparently this happens often for AA marketed CX codeshare flights.
Is this cos AA is on Sabre (even when ticketing AA marketed CX operated flights)?
Old Jan 11, 2020, 4:19 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS), OZ Diamond (*G), TK Elite (*G), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Does the interline policy also apply to back-to-backs? I have some silly routings coming up, namely CGK-HKG-TPE / TPE-HKG-BKK and TPE-HKG-CGK / CGK-HKG-CTS, all on separate PNRs and CX ticketed/metal. It would save a huge amount of time in TPE and CGK if I didn't have to clear immigration. I assume the answer is yes but wanted to make sure.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 4:48 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by AnttiV
Does the interline policy also apply to back-to-backs? I have some silly routings coming up, namely CGK-HKG-TPE / TPE-HKG-BKK and TPE-HKG-CGK / CGK-HKG-CTS, all on separate PNRs and CX ticketed/metal. It would save a huge amount of time in TPE and CGK if I didn't have to clear immigration. I assume the answer is yes but wanted to make sure.
The problem is that a bag can’t be tagged through the same destination twice - in your case HKG. I don’t know if CX would tag the bag CGK-HKG-BKK - if so, then you would be okay. If not, you’ll have to collect in TPE.
AnttiV likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 8:20 am

Is this cos AA is on Sabre (even when ticketing AA marketed CX operated flights)?
Not sure; I’m not familiar with the ticketing systems. In case any of this helps piece together the reason:
  • I have one record locator from AA, but two booking references with Cathay. Reservation was made through Amex Platinum Travel
  • Cathay Twitter said “as the flights were booked with AA, it would automatically create 2 PNRs at our end. It doesn't require to link up the booking as they are the same one, it is just a system requirement to create a marketing PNR at the backend”. However when I went to check-in desk, the flights were not linked so this wasn’t right
  • Lady at JFK check-in said it happens a lot with AA marketed flights. I didn’t ask her why but then she said it could have been because I had a reservation through QR flying on the same dates (which I did; I booked the AA/CX flight first then cancelled the QR)
Old Jan 11, 2020, 10:55 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Not sure; I’m not familiar with the ticketing systems. In case any of this helps piece together the reason:
  • I have one record locator from AA, but two booking references with Cathay. Reservation was made through Amex Platinum Travel
  • Cathay Twitter said “as the flights were booked with AA, it would automatically create 2 PNRs at our end. It doesn't require to link up the booking as they are the same one, it is just a system requirement to create a marketing PNR at the backend”. However when I went to check-in desk, the flights were not linked so this wasn’t right
  • Lady at JFK check-in said it happens a lot with AA marketed flights. I didn’t ask her why but then she said it could have been because I had a reservation through QR flying on the same dates (which I did; I booked the AA/CX flight first then cancelled the QR)
I know your JFK-HKG flight is AA*/CX (AA-marketed, CX-operated), but is your HKG-KUL also AA*/KA, or is it KA prime or CX*/KA?
Old Jan 11, 2020, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I know your JFK-HKG flight is AA*/CX (AA-marketed, CX-operated), but is your HKG-KUL also AA*/KA, or is it KA prime or CX*/KA?
HKG-KUL is AA*/KA. So maybe if both flights are CX proper it wouldn’t be an issue?

Another thing I learned last night :lol: I missed my connecting flight (HKG-KUL) due time delay in my JFK-HKG flight so I was rebooked on the next flight. Apparently that then triggers the entire booking system to tell me that all my remaining flights haven’t been ticketed. So strange! I guess this is why it’s always better to book directly with the airline itself to avoid complications like this, but given the big fare difference, there was no way I was going to book direct through Cathay.

From AA Twitter: The KUL-HKG and HKG-JFK flights are ticketed. Please share your ticket number xxxxxxxxx with Cathay and they can attach it to the reservation in their system.

From CX Twitter: There will be no issue for your return flights. For your info, as the ticket you issued is under AA's ticket stock, system is not synchronised whenever flight disruption is happened. The app would not be able to reflect the actual status of your inbound flights unless you have completed the whole outbound journey (i.e. JFK-HKG & HKG-KUL). We assure you that you are holding a valid ticket for return flights and you may disregard the info showing in "Manage Booking".

For anyone interested, I booked my flight 2 days before departure through Amex Platinum Travel, and it was USD $2,200 RT for J on Cathay metal but marketed as AA. Booking through Cathay would have been like USD $5,900. Last minute flight due to originally being booked on QR but I was nervous to fly over Iranian airspace (that’s a whole other story we won’t get into here).

I’m so glad I have you guys to share this with; I started ranting to my friends who have no idea what I’m talking about!
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 7:30 pm

Thought disruption airline has obligation to revalidate all coupons after rebooking.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.