FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   What presently happens in YVR on the JFK-HKG flight? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1766627-what-presently-happens-yvr-jfk-hkg-flight.html)

xenole May 18, 2016 12:50 am

What presently happens in YVR on the JFK-HKG flight?

Did a search but can't seem to find it and have read in the past that, in F, you stay on the plane whilst the cleaning crews work around you or you disembark and go to a penned off area.

Do you still have to clear immigration in HKG or is it done in Vancouver (or you do it twice)?

mittaw May 18, 2016 12:55 am

Everyone seems to disembark in YVR regardless of final destination, you will have to clear Canadian immigration.

christep May 18, 2016 1:00 am

Originally Posted by mittaw (Post 26642801)
Everyone seems to disembark in YVR regardless of final destination, you will have to clear Canadian immigration.

Eh? OP is flying JFK-HKG. You get off in YVR and go to a holding pen, but you don't clear Canadian immigration since you're just in transit. You clear HK Immigration in HK.

mittaw May 18, 2016 3:14 am

Originally Posted by christep (Post 26642813)
Eh? OP is flying JFK-HKG. You get off in YVR and go to a holding pen, but you don't clear Canadian immigration since you're just in transit. You clear HK Immigration in HK.

On second thought, I am confusing this with a different transit experience I had through JFK. Please disregard.

Psychiatrist May 18, 2016 11:22 am

I flew JFK-HKG over Chinese New Year. I was the only passenger that was continuing to HKG - everybody else was got off at YVR (it was a packed flight with families going skiing).

I was asked to stay on board for the whole time. No immigration clearance for me.

There was a change of crew and cleaners came to freshen up the cabin.

rxziebel May 18, 2016 11:28 am

If in transit JFK-HKG, there is NO immigration or any other formalities. You might be allowed to stay on the plane or you might be asked to go to a holding area at the gate. If in the holding area, there are washrooms and vending machines but no restaurants or other amenities.

dkc192 May 18, 2016 2:16 pm

JFK-HKG: transit pax continuing to HKG must all stay on the plane at YVR.

[HKG-JFK: transit pax continuing to JFK must all disembark into the gate holding pen and go through a secondary screening for liquids]

heyheyha May 18, 2016 3:26 pm

I was in F on a JFK-HKG (via YVR) flight recently.

You basically sit in your seat while waiting for them to load the plane with passengers and catering. A new flight crew will staff the flight while you wait for the cleaning crew to vacuum and clean the cabin around you.

Passengers also enter the plane from the 1L plane door, so if you're in your seat, it's a little awkward when the other passengers pass by.

hiima May 18, 2016 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192 (Post 26646087)

[HKG-JFK: transit pax continuing to JFK must all disembark into the gate holding pen and go through a secondary screening for liquids]

That honestly sounds ridiculous. Not saying you're wrong, I'm pretty sure you're right. So if I have liquids, I should stash it in the plane in my seat pocket or the overhead bin or something. Maybe leave a note for the cleaning crew that I'm ongoing flight.

maortega15 May 18, 2016 4:03 pm

Surprisingly, they don't check for liquids! :p I've had bottles of water from the flight, they don't take it away.

They also proactively offer free water bottles for you to take at the front by the desk.

I've been wanting someone to create a sticky for fifth freedom flights such as this one since this comes up a whole lot!

ernestnywang May 21, 2016 10:52 am

Originally Posted by maortega15 (Post 26646650)
Surprisingly, they don't check for liquids! :p I've had bottles of water from the flight, they don't take it away.

I just took CX888 in April and they did check for liquids in YVR.

KrazyTrain18 May 22, 2016 12:43 pm

From what I've seen recently that seems to be spot on.

Martellus Oct 26, 2017 9:03 am

Resurrecting this - I'm a Chinese citizen heading for vacation in japan (transiting via HKG) - do I need to apply for a Canadian transit visa?

CX30616 Oct 26, 2017 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Martellus (Post 28979507)
Resurrecting this - I'm a Chinese citizen heading for vacation in japan (transiting via HKG) - do I need to apply for a Canadian transit visa?

No you don't have to, unless you meet some inexperienced staff

garykung Oct 27, 2017 4:25 am

Originally Posted by Martellus (Post 28979507)

Absolutely yes.

Originally Posted by CX30616 (Post 28981044)
No you don't have to, unless you meet some inexperienced staff

Unless CIC is incorrect, as of the moment of posting, CIC specifically mentions a visa is required for Chinese (Mainland) citizens for travel or transit.

Even TIMATIC says the same thing.