Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

What presently happens in YVR on the JFK-HKG flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What presently happens in YVR on the JFK-HKG flight?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Martellus
Resurrecting this - I'm a Chinese citizen heading for vacation in japan (transiting via HKG) - do I need to apply for a Canadian transit visa?
Yes you will need a visa, as garykung described above.

Fill out the questions here and start the application process. However, you could apply for V-1 (tourist) visa with a expiration date as the day before your passport expires. Also, even though it does not seem to be your itin, be aware of transit rules at HKG, as you can't travel CHN-HKG-CHN directly with your passport.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp
Old Oct 27, 2017, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
Absolutely yes.

Unless CIC is incorrect, as of the moment of posting, CIC specifically mentions a visa is required for Chinese (Mainland) citizens for travel or transit.

Even TIMATIC says the same thing.
It works on reverse directions, maybe not in this case
Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
I did remember there is something called the "China Transit program", which permits Chinese Passport holders to transit through Canada without a visa. Maybe that would waive the visa requirement
Old Oct 28, 2017, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by CX30616
It works on reverse directions, maybe not in this case
Originally Posted by shd9
I did remember there is something called the "China Transit program", which permits Chinese Passport holders to transit through Canada without a visa. Maybe that would waive the visa requirement
I double checked. There is indeed a China Transit program for transit between HKG-Canada-U.S or vice versa. So OP could potential qualify.

But my concern is on TIMATIC because TIMATIC is still saying it is a problem.

Given this:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...ver-rules.html

Beside - A Canadian Transit Visa costs $0.

I don't think OP should risk it. Simply get a transit visa and call it a day.
kaka likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 4:28 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by garykung
I double checked. There is indeed a China Transit program for transit between HKG-Canada-U.S or vice versa. So OP could potential qualify.

But my concern is on TIMATIC because TIMATIC is still saying it is a problem.

Given this:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...ver-rules.html

Beside - A Canadian Transit Visa costs $0.

I don't think OP should risk it. Simply get a transit visa and call it a day.
I still don't think OP's itin qualifies as the arriving time of CX 889 arrives around midnight in Vancover, and one of the requirements of the visa free transit is:

"arrive during business hours (hours may vary at each airport) for the preclearance area run by United States Customs and Border Protection
if you arrive outside of these hours, you will no longer qualify under this program. You will have to go to the Canada Border Services Agency to be screened. You should check your flight connections with the airline."

IIRC CBP at YVR is closed around 8pm.

Also, this particular flight does not depart from the U.S. bound terminal, so I am not sure if CBP is available.

Last edited by andersonCooper; Oct 28, 2017 at 7:02 am
Old Dec 2, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
On CX888 (HKG-YVR-JFK) what is the additional US screening post-Trump in YVR?

there wasn’t anything extra or special in HKG...
Old Dec 2, 2017, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
I still don't think OP's itin qualifies as the arriving time of CX 889 arrives around midnight in Vancover, and one of the requirements of the visa free transit is:

"arrive during business hours (hours may vary at each airport) for the preclearance area run by United States Customs and Border Protection
if you arrive outside of these hours, you will no longer qualify under this program. You will have to go to the Canada Border Services Agency to be screened. You should check your flight connections with the airline."

IIRC CBP at YVR is closed around 8pm.

Also, this particular flight does not depart from the U.S. bound terminal, so I am not sure if CBP is available.
theres no cbp for this flight; and cx explicitly asks for visa. And the visa is free. Why risk it when marginal cost is that low
Old Dec 3, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by shuuy

I traveled on this route in late November. When you alight in YVR, you'll stand in line for additional security check at the gate. Once you complete the check, you'll be directed to wait at the gate for the JFK bound flight.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 6:49 am

No lounge access in YVR when you fly HKG-YVR-JFK?
Old Dec 18, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by wcaldog
No lounge access in YVR when you fly HKG-YVR-JFK?
Correct.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 9:27 pm

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Originally Posted by shuuy

Which highlights the complete and utter stupidity of the system. Flying to JFK non-stop? No in-town check-in, extra security at the airport. Flying via YVR? In-town check-in is fine. No extra security at the airport. Yet your luggage still travels from HKG to JFK without (so far as I am aware) extra security checks. Now - either it is safe to check luggage from HKG to the US using existing normal security checks in HKG, or it isn't. And if it isn't, why does a stop at a third country, with a bunch of baggage handlers getting on the aircraft (adding a new layer of risk), somehow sanitise the luggage? Or the hand luggage? Or the passengers???

And why can't you buy duty-free in HKG to take to the US? Even with a tamper-proof bag?
Old Dec 18, 2017, 9:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
They're doing you a favor, HKG duty free prices aren't that great at all.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by IanFromHKG
No in-town check-in...
This is entirely CX's decision.

In fact - CX is the ONLY U.S.-bound carrier that suspends Airport Express In-Town Check-In. All others carriers, AA, HX, SQ, UA, still allow.

And if it isn't, why does a stop at a third country, with a bunch of baggage handlers getting on the aircraft (adding a new layer of risk), somehow sanitise the luggage? Or the hand luggage? Or the passengers???
Sorry to say. If something has to happen, it would have happened during HKG-YVR.

And why can't you buy duty-free in HKG to take to the US? Even with a tamper-proof bag?
Have you ever been to the U.S.? If you have, you would know why it does not bother.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Which highlights the complete and utter stupidity of the system. Flying to JFK non-stop? No in-town check-in, extra security at the airport. Flying via YVR? In-town check-in is fine. No extra security at the airport. Yet your luggage still travels from HKG to JFK without (so far as I am aware) extra security checks.
They do bag secondary screening at YVR.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 7:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
TIMATIC shows that a Chinese national traveling from the US to Japan via Canada and Hong Kong will require a Canadian transit visa. This is what the check-in agent will see at JFK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.