Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

The Marco Polo Club / Asia Miles FAQs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2016, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Discussion on April 2016 changes: MPC Changes April 2016

What is the difference between The Marco Polo Club and Asia Miles?

The Marco Polo Club (MPC) is Cathay Pacific’s official loyalty programme. The Marco Polo Club gives you benefits for being loyal (eg lounge access, extra baggage). Members of The Marco Polo Club are automatically enrolled as Asia Miles members.

Asia Miles (AM) is the travel reward program where you can earn “mileage currency” (Asia Miles) for a variety of activities and spend that currency on a variety of rewards. You collect Asia Miles when you fly with CX, its partner airlines and other oneworld airlines. You can also collect Asia Miles on hotel stays, holidays and car rental, and when you're shopping, through deals with a wide range of partners. You can then spend them on flights and upgrades, and other lifestyle redemptions. You do not need to be a member of The Marco Polo Club to earn Asia Miles.

================================================== =====

Marco Polo Club FAQs:

Cathay Pacific’s Marco Polo Club homepage: https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...roduction.html

How do I become a member of The Marco Polo Club?

You can join The Marco Polo Club by enrolling online at the Cathay Pacific website, and paying a joining fee of USD 100. This will enrol you into the entry-level of MPC which is Green.

If you are based in Hong Kong, you can apply for the American Express Cathay Pacific Credit Card which will waive your first year fee for entry to MPC. After your first year, you need to renew your MPC membership like any other MPC member, regardless of your Amex spending.

Club Points:

Club points are separate and different to Asia Miles. Club points are used to measure your eligibility for the various MPC tiers, and are earned by flying only. You can earn club points whenever you fly in eligible fare classes with Cathay Pacific, Dragonair or any oneworld alliance airlines. Club points are calculated based on a combination of airline, cabin, fare class and distance travelled.

To see how many club points you will earn, look at the club points earning table on the Cathay Pacific website: https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/frequent-flyers/about-the-club/earning-club-points.html

Marco Polo Club Tiers:

There are four primary membership tiers in the MPC:

Green entry level
Silver equivalent to oneworld Ruby
Gold equivalent to oneworld Sapphire
Diamond equivalent to oneworld Emerald

In addition to this, there is Diamond Plus which is provided to the top 1% of members based on their actual CX spend, and Diamond Invitation which is invitation-only.

Green Tier Benefits:
  • Designated Marco Polo Club check-in counters
  • Priority Boarding

Silver Tier Benefits:
  • Extra-legroom seat reservation free of charge
  • Advanced seat reservation free of charge
  • Priority Waitlisting
  • Business Class counter check-in
  • Priority Boarding
  • 10kg additional checked baggage allowance
  • 10kg special cabin baggage allowance
  • Priority baggage handling
  • Cathay Pacific and Dragonair Business Class lounge access when departing on flights marketed and operated by Cathay Pacific or Dragonair

Gold Tier Benefits:
  • Extra-legroom seat reservation free of charge
  • Advanced seat reservation free of charge
  • Priority Waitlisting
  • Guaranteed Economy class seat in Y fare class when reserved at least 72 hours in advance
  • Business Class counter check-in
  • Priority Boarding
  • 15kg (or 1PC) additional checked baggage allowance
  • 10kg special cabin baggage allowance
  • Priority baggage handling
  • Cathay Pacific and Dragonair Business Class lounge access when departing on flights marketed and operated by Cathay Pacific, Dragonair or oneworld carriers. One guest may accompany the member into the lounge.
  • Arrival Lounge access – no guests.

Diamond Tier Benefits:

In addition to the Gold tier benefits, Diamond members enjoy:
  • Guaranteed Economy class seat in Y fare class when reserved at least 24 hours in advance
  • Guaranteed Premium Economy class seat in W fare class when reserved at least 24 hours in advance
  • Guaranteed Business class seat in J fare class when reserved at least 24 hours in advance
  • First Class counter check-in
  • 20kg (or 1PC) additional checked baggage allowance
  • 15kg special cabin baggage allowance
  • Cathay Pacific First Class lounge access when departing on flights marketed and operated by Cathay Pacific, Dragonair or oneworld carriers. Two guests may accompany the member into the lounge.

How do I earn status in The Marco Polo Club?

In order to renew or upgrade tiers within a membership year, you need to earn the following amount of club points:

Green – 100 club points

Silver – 300 club points

Gold – 600 club points

Diamond – 1200 club points

A membership year lasts 12 months from the date you have enrolled, renewed, upgraded or downgraded into your current tier. Upon renewal, upgrade or downgrade, your club points will automatically be reset to zero and a new membership year begins.

You cannot achieve Gold or Diamond status by simply earning 600 or 1200 club points within a single 12 month period. This is due to your membership year resetting upon each tier upgrade.

For example:

When you join MPC, you start with zero club points and Green status. Let’s say this is January 2017. You now have 12 months to either:
  • Earn 100 club points to renew Green or
  • Earn 300 club points to achieve Silver Status

If you earn 300 club points by March 2017, you are upgraded to Silver status, and your membership year and club point balance is reset to zero. You now have 12 months (until March 2018) to either:
  • Earn 300 club points to renew Silver status or
  • Earn 600 club points to achieve Gold status

If you earn 600 club points by October 2017, you are upgraded to Gold status, and your membership year and club point balance is reset zero again. You now have 12 months (until October 2018) to either:
  • Earn 600 club points to renew Gold status or
  • Earn 1200 club points to achieve Diamond status

Once you reach Diamond status, you need to continue to earn 1200 club points in each subsequent 12 month period in order to renew your status.

I am not going to earn enough miles to requalify at my current tier. Does Cathay do soft landings or will I be sent straight to the tier at which I have enough miles to qualify for?

There is no official soft landing policy. It is possible if you are a Diamond, to go straight back to Green if you fly less than 300 club points in a year. Sometimes soft landings are reported, but it is on a case-by-case basis.

I am a silver, and I am going to fly 590 club points in my current year. Will Cathay be lenient and bump me to Gold?

Based on experience in the pre April 2016 system, it appears that Cathay is not lenient for attaining a new tier. Consider making alternative plans to reach the additional club points before your membership year ends.

I am going to be just shy of requalifying at a certain tier. Will Cathay let me have that tier anyway?
Anecdotal evidence suggests that if you are just short of retaining your current tier before your membership year expires, you will be requalified at that tier on expiry date. There doesn't appear to be a hard and fast rule regarding how much of a shortfall is allowed.

Alternatively, writing in to the Club to explain your circumstances may result in them extending your deadline for requalification.

Mid-Tier Benefits:

Mid-tier benefits are designed to reward members to go beyond their club point renewal level to achieve additional benefits.

Green mid-tier benefits:
  • 200 club points: One Business Class Lounge Pass

Silver mid-tier benefits:
  • 450 club points: Two Business Class Lounge Pass

Gold mid-tier benefits:
  • 800 club points: Two Business Class Lounge Pass
  • 1000 club points: Four Bookable Upgrades (ultra-short, short or medium haul)

Diamond mid-tier benefits:
  • 1400 club points: Two First or Business Class Lounge Pass
  • 600 club points: Four Bookable Upgrades
  • 1800 club points: Complimentary Companion Gold Membership

If I am a Diamond member, will I receive the Gold mid-tier benefits at 800 and 1000 tier points?

No – you only receive the mid-tier benefits of your current membership tier.

Is there any requirement on the underlying booking sub-classes when using a mid-tier bookable upgrade?
Yes, the original flight needs to be booked in an “upgradable” sub-class, the same sub-classes that qualify for Asia Miles upgrades :
  • Economy: Fare classes [Y B H K M] will be upgraded into fare class E
  • Premium Economy: Fare classes [W R] will be upgraded into fare class I
  • Business: Fare classes [J C D I] will be upgraded into fare class A

There needs to be seat availability in your target fare class. For example, if you are ticketed in Business, and you want to upgrade to First Class, there needs to be "A" fare class available for sale.

When do bookable upgrades expire?

Bookable upgrade entitlements must be claimed within 12 months after it has been issued. The departure date of the flight for bookable upgrade is not required to be within 12 months from the date of issuance, however, this date must be 15 to 360 days after the claim date.

If I use a bookable upgrade, do I earn club points and Asia Miles on the original ticket fare class, or the new fare class?

You earn on the new fare class.

Does The Marco Polo Club status match?
MPC generally does not status match to another carrier's elite FFP just because you want one. You may write to the Club with details of your past flying pattern, and they will consider status matches on a case-by-case basis.

For more information , please read this thread: CX Status Match

I am moving to HK - should I consider changing to Asia Miles / Marco Polo Club?

Please see this thread for questions on moving to HK and your choice of loyalty program: Moving to HK master thread

=======================================

Asia Miles FAQs:

What Asia Miles will I earn for a particular flight and fare class?

Please refer to the Asia Miles website for the earning rates on Cathay Pacific and other Airline Partners.

Airline Partner Earning details

What are good credit cards to earn Asia Miles in HK?

See this thread: Best Credit Card Conversion Rates for Asia Miles (HK)

Print Wikipost

The Marco Polo Club / Asia Miles FAQs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2020, 9:21 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by mucaari
Just got the AMEX card in HK... How does it work to get the Marco Polo membership? I just apply for it through the cathay website and enter my amex card as payment, and amex will automatically waive the charge for the membership?
Yes. I don't remember being charged.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 6:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Pardon my ignorance concerning CX awards. I am looking to book Business Class award TPA-SGN (AA+CX) but I'd be willing the book LAX-SGN (just CX) and position if I had to.

But I can't get the CX pricing tool to be of much help. LAX-HKG quote is 70k, and HKG-SGN is 25k. But cannot get it to price LAX-SGN either directly or via LAX-HKG-SGN multi-cily. The destination selection menu appears to only list direct connections so the former is dead in the water, and the latter gets me "can't use Asia Miles for this". What am I doing wrong? Do I have to "submit a request" and wait for them to return a quote?

Thanks.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Ws trying to book BKK-DOH-JFK in QSuites via Asia Miles. BKK-DOH arrives around 5am, and theres a DOH-JFK flight a few hours later but cant find a way to book that online. Was only allowing me to book a 1am flight the following day thru the multi city tool. Anyone know why? Is there a way to book it online with the 3 hour layover or do I need to call?
Old Jun 23, 2020, 6:48 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Pardon my ignorance concerning CX awards. I am looking to book Business Class award TPA-SGN (AA+CX) but I'd be willing the book LAX-SGN (just CX) and position if I had to.

But I can't get the CX pricing tool to be of much help. LAX-HKG quote is 70k, and HKG-SGN is 25k. But cannot get it to price LAX-SGN either directly or via LAX-HKG-SGN multi-cily. The destination selection menu appears to only list direct connections so the former is dead in the water, and the latter gets me "can't use Asia Miles for this". What am I doing wrong? Do I have to "submit a request" and wait for them to return a quote?

Thanks.
An issue that has been reported before since the change of T&C eff. Apr. For purely CX/KA awards, you can refer to https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-...ard-chart.html. In your case, LAX-HKG-SGN in standard U will cost 85k AM as it is over 7500 mi. TPA-LAX-HKG-SGN cannot be redeemed using a single AM award.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
An issue that has been reported before since the change of T&C eff. Apr. For purely CX/KA awards, you can refer to https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-...ard-chart.html. In your case, LAX-HKG-SGN in standard U will cost 85k AM as it is over 7500 mi. TPA-LAX-HKG-SGN cannot be redeemed using a single AM award.
Thanks. I see that multi-carrier award is only allowed if under 50k miles, so that does indeed explain that.

But if LAX-HKG-SGN all CX is supposed to be bookable as a single award, how do I do it?

Last edited by SpammersAreScum; Jun 24, 2020 at 8:42 pm
Old Jun 24, 2020, 10:15 pm

Thanks. I see that multi-carrier award is only allowed if under 50k miles, so that does indeed explain that.
Umm, I think you are confused. A multi-carrier award is only allowed if the entire trip's flight distance is under 50000 mi., not the currency. That's a loooong distance, way longer than TPA-LAX-HKG-SGN at 103xx mi. The reason you cannot use the multi-carrier award for an itinerary like this is because you need 2 non-CX/KA oneworld carriers. In this case, you only have AA. If you include both AA and JL and change the routing to something like TPA-(AA)-LAX-(AA/JL)-HND/NRT-(JL)-SGN or TPA-(AA)-CLT/PHL-(AA)-JFK-(JL)-HND-(JL)-SGN, it will be doable with a zone 8 award at 135000 AM.[/QUOTE]

But if LAX-HKG-SGN all CX is supposed to be bookable as a single award, how do I do it?
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...hts/login.html or call
Old Jun 26, 2020, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Umm, I think you are confused. A multi-carrier award is only allowed if the entire trip's flight distance is under 50000 mi., not the currency. That's a loooong distance, way longer than TPA-LAX-HKG-SGN at 103xx mi. The reason you cannot use the multi-carrier award for an itinerary like this is because you need 2 non-CX/KA oneworld carriers. In this case, you only have AA. If you include both AA and JL and change the routing to something like TPA-(AA)-LAX-(AA/JL)-HND/NRT-(JL)-SGN or TPA-(AA)-CLT/PHL-(AA)-JFK-(JL)-HND-(JL)-SGN, it will be doable with a zone 8 award at 135000 AM.
I did mean distance, not currency, but confused 50k w 5k; sorry. So, I can use AsiaMiles for CX-only, or partner1+partner2, or partner (see below), but not CX+partner??? Completely bizarre.

Thanks! That works, and I can even find MIA-SGN for 90k -- on QR thru DOH! TPA-SGN no luck on multiple dates.

Also bizarre that the tool I tried before couldn't give me the right answers.

Thank you for patiently explaining this.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 9:49 pm

Thanks! That works, and I can even find MIA-SGN for 90k -- on QR thru DOH! TPA-SGN no luck on multiple dates.
You can do CX+AA in one award. That's not the problem. The problem is that a one-way award is restricted to 2 segments, but you want 3.
SpammersAreScum likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 6:06 am

Hi All,

Not sure I am posting in the right thread. Hope it is ok.
I am looking at the flights rewards available on Asia Miles, and there is this a mention that confuses me.

"Business class is suggested for CX679 due to seat availability, the required miles will be adjusted in the next page."
The number of miles required for this flight is 47k. When I click on the flight, and look at the price ticket on the next page, there is no adjustment.
I don't know whether I can continue until the payment page, but on the first page, the number of miles required is the same: 47k.
Does it mean that the business class cost 47k miles (which I don't believe)?

Thank you for your help!
Spoiler

Spoiler

Old Jun 27, 2020, 11:21 am

Sorry never mind

Last edited by ernestnywang; Jun 27, 2020 at 11:26 am Reason: Sorry never mind
Old Jul 1, 2020, 6:47 am

hi all, I have about 150k miles expiring soon and given that Asia Miles won't be extending expiry, i was hoping the group can provide some guidance on:
1-the best way to redeem the miles now, given that there is so much uncertainty about flying. can i book a ticket to fly within 364 and cancel in 360 days and get credited the miles again for a fee?
2-is there a way to maximize the usage (I have another 300k miles that expire later) of these points for best value, with origin from hong kong?

thanks so much for all your expert advice!
Old Oct 21, 2021, 2:54 pm

Programs: Frontier 100k; AA ExPlat; LATAM Black; *A Gold ; SkyTeam Elite+
Do you need to fly on CX metal to renew Marco Polo Club Silver status?

I have silver status with Marco Polo/CX. Can I reach the 300 club points 100% through partner bookings? Or does CX have a requirement that I must fly on CX metal at some point?
Old Oct 21, 2021, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Puzzles
I have silver status with Marco Polo/CX. Can I reach the 300 club points 100% through partner bookings? Or does CX have a requirement that I must fly on CX metal at some point?
Neet at least 1 CX flight per https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...ub-points.html

In addition to these points, the member must fly at least one eligible sector on Cathay Pacific.
I'm not finding it on https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...and-terms.html, though, so perhaps you can claim this is not part of the T&C. Not sure if a codeshare flight would count, either.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 8:46 pm
ms1

I have cancelled a CX redemption booking via the manage booking function on the Cathay website. Does anyone know approximately how long it takes for the miles to be refunded?
Old Dec 24, 2022, 9:17 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by ms1
I have cancelled a CX redemption booking via the manage booking function on the Cathay website. Does anyone know approximately how long it takes for the miles to be refunded?
You need to further call or online message them to get the refund. The online cancel function merely cancels your sectors.
Cryofern likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.