Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

What Time Should I arrive at JFK for CX845

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2016, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA

Traveling in J class on CX845 which departs at 0130. Have seen mixed reviews on the BA lounge, so I'm assuming there is no need to get there too early. From what I can tell there aren't any other departures from Term 7 at that hour. Think T-1 hour is safe enough?

Thanks.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 7:40 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by pbartp
Traveling in J class on CX845 which departs at 0130. Have seen mixed reviews on the BA lounge, so I'm assuming there is no need to get there too early. From what I can tell there aren't any other departures from Term 7 at that hour. Think T-1 hour is safe enough?

Thanks.
1 hour is plenty of time for cx845. I've arrived T minus 35, and made it for that flight. Granted that was hairy...had done OLCI and no bags....but just sayin. TSA still hadnt closed down, which is probably the biggest risk at that stage. Outside doors had been locked to the terminal but I just banged frantically on the doors outside and someone let me in. There was still a CX (or is it BA in a CX uniform?) staffer who checked my passport. It's the last flight of the night out of T7 I'm pretty sure.

My recommendation is if you're gonna cut it close, don't check bags and OLCI. 1 hour before cx845 is plenty of time.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QRC3288
1 hour is plenty of time for cx845. I've arrived T minus 35, and made it for that flight. Granted that was hairy...had done OLCI and no bags....but just sayin. TSA still hadnt closed down, which is probably the biggest risk at that stage. Outside doors had been locked to the terminal but I just banged frantically on the doors outside and someone let me in. There was still a CX (or is it BA in a CX uniform?) staffer who checked my passport. It's the last flight of the night out of T7 I'm pretty sure.

My recommendation is if you're gonna cut it close, don't check bags and OLCI. 1 hour before cx845 is plenty of time.
Thanks. Yeah, plan on OLCI and carry-on only.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 7:51 pm

CX now uses Worldwide Flight Services (WFS) at JFK. Some staff were retained from BA but most are now either with BA or laid off.

Back to the original question, I usually be at the airport 3 hours. For any international airport bound for any destination.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 2:53 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by maortega15
Back to the original question, I usually be at the airport 3 hours. For any international airport bound for any destination.
Haha is that sarcasm I detect?
Old Apr 8, 2016, 2:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What do you plan to do during those three hours?
Old Apr 8, 2016, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Haha is that sarcasm I detect?
No, I'm actually serious. I do it every time I fly.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
What do you plan to do during those three hours?
Check-in, and mostly wait at the lounge. Eat and check e-mails, then be at the gate an hour or so before boarding. Never had a problem being late. And I don't mind doing it.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 5:12 am
Suspended

To each his own, but I'd rather have a nice dinner in town and get to JFK as ate as possible, missing as much B&T traffic and security as is possible, and, barring a drink in the lounge, get on board and asleep as soon the belt light goes off.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 7:03 am

Programs: AAdvantage, BA Executive Club, CX MPC, Marriot Rewards, Priority Club
I fly out of JFK often and always schedule myself for 3 hrs, especially when I do afternoons & night flights. Mainly because of traffic getting to the terminal.

Whenever I give myself less time and think something can't go wrong - it does.

The last time I game myself less than 3 hrs, I got caught in traffic for over an hour. Whenever I travel light, I take the train/AirTrain combo.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by maortega15
No, I'm actually serious. I do it every time I fly.

Check-in, and mostly wait at the lounge. Eat and check e-mails, then be at the gate an hour or so before boarding. Never had a problem being late. And I don't mind doing it.
JFK is the last place i'd want to be for 3 hours.

I've done this flight multiple times arriving just over an hour before departure. Security lines are usually empty since there aren't that many other flights that time from the terminal except a BA flight. BA lounge is nothing to write home about. There is no need to spend any extra time there.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by thekfc
I fly out of JFK often and always schedule myself for 3 hrs, especially when I do afternoons & night flights. Mainly because of traffic getting to the terminal.

Whenever I give myself less time and think something can't go wrong - it does.

The last time I game myself less than 3 hrs, I got caught in traffic for over an hour. Whenever I travel light, I take the train/AirTrain combo.
At 130 in the morning? Really?
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:05 am

The problem with JFK is you never know about Belt Parkway (heading East) or Grand Central (heading South), both of them are scandalous for having traffic at odd hours (besides the normal traffic hours). Once I dropped off a friend at 10 p.m. thinking free flow traffic heading back home, and as soon as I've gotten on Belt Parkway heading West home I hit traffic for extra 1.5 hours that normally takes 20 minutes.

When I used to use JFK I do have a full dinner before I head into CX, but I try not to be there any less than 2 hours (definitely not 3 hours). Not to enjoy the lounge, but to avoid being unlucky and caught in traffic and misses your flight.

Once it did happened, Belt Parkway East was jammed due to combination of construction and minor accident, and I didn't make it to check-in T-45. This is when I gave myself 2 - 2.5 hours slack.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thekfc
...Whenever I travel light, I take the train/AirTrain combo.
I really didn't even think about this option. I don't mind as we are travelling light and LIRR trains run pretty frequently. I usually prefer public transportation as there is less likelihood of an unexpected traffic jam.

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
The problem with JFK is you never know about Belt Parkway (heading East) or Grand Central (heading South), both of them are scandalous for having traffic at odd hours (besides the normal traffic hours). Once I dropped off a friend at 10 p.m. thinking free flow traffic heading back home, and as soon as I've gotten on Belt Parkway heading West home I hit traffic for extra 1.5 hours that normally takes 20 minutes.

When I used to use JFK I do have a full dinner before I head into CX, but I try not to be there any less than 2 hours (definitely not 3 hours). Not to enjoy the lounge, but to avoid being unlucky and caught in traffic and misses your flight.

Once it did happened, Belt Parkway East was jammed due to combination of construction and minor accident, and I didn't make it to check-in T-45. This is when I gave myself 2 - 2.5 hours slack.
That's what I'm afraid of. I would much rather be relaxing in the mediocre BA lounge for an extra 45 mins-1 hour, then stressing on the Van Wyck (actually faster than Belt for my purposes).

Thanks for feedback.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: CX MPC
The LIRR + AirTrain combo is awesome and can get you from Penn Station to Terminal 7 in 35-40 minutes flat. It is definitely the fastest option out there assuming you're traveling light. Hauling 2 pieces of luggage onto the LIRR is no fun unless you want to save some $.

There's also the "shared" buses that go from door-to-door. Please don't ever take one of those, it took me 3 hours to get from JFK to midtown Manhattan once...

CX 845 is a great flight, hop on, quick meal, pass out ^
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by heyheyha
The LIRR + AirTrain combo is awesome and can get you from Penn Station to Terminal 7 in 35-40 minutes flat. It is definitely the fastest option out there assuming you're traveling light. Hauling 2 pieces of luggage onto the LIRR is no fun unless you want to save some $.

There's also the "shared" buses that go from door-to-door. Please don't ever take one of those, it took me 3 hours to get from JFK to midtown Manhattan once...

CX 845 is a great flight, hop on, quick meal, pass out ^
Yes, haven't taken a "shared" van/bus in ages. Avoid those at all costs. We have a friend who has offered to give us a ride, but leaning towards the LIRR/AirTrain option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.