Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong First Family forces CX to break airport safety rules

Hong Kong First Family forces CX to break airport safety rules

Old Apr 8, 2016, 3:32 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by percysmith
[url]In any case I am surprised CE's family uses normal passenger boarding gates at HKG. I seriously thought at least at HKG they would be eligible for VIP clearance as if a visiting head of government would.
There are a few levels of treatment at HKG, but this is in line with my (limited) experience traveling with government VIPs on non-state business on CX. The protocol is pretty much commercial aviation just smoother, with a private lounge and handlers who look out for you and make sure nothing goes wrong. They are in touch with the airport, CX etc so nothing gets screwed up and they know when you're coming to the gate.

It's also possible she booked under her name and didn't use the CE's office, in which case she highly likely wasn't flagged in advance...there are so many similar romanizations of Chinese names that it's virtually impossible to track who is important and who's not. The way to ensure "VIP" is stamped on your BP is you must make CX know, which generally entails getting your office to either make the booking direct with CX or call and notify them. Otherwise they don't know. A number of VIP-eligible travelers use this method when they want to be lower profile..even having different passports with slightly different romanizations, and having multiple CX MPC accounts! It's very possible CX only found out when she called daddy, and the he made a big fuss for his daughter by ringing up whomever in the middle of the night. Or she could've been flagged as VIP all along. Anyway, this family never fails to disappoint...even if he gets rejected from doing a second term, they've got great potential for reality TV.

I presume if you're really a big shot, or flying commercial yet on official state business, the service probably extends to ground transportation to/from the jetbridge and perhaps you just speed into the city. But here this situation seems about right.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 4:09 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by QRC3288
It's also possible she booked under her name and didn't use the CE's office, in which case she highly likely wasn't flagged in advance...there are so many similar romanizations of Chinese names that it's virtually impossible to track who is important and who's not.
I would've thought given his status here and the controversy surrounding his term both he and his family will get VIP access during his term in office.

Easier on their G4 details from a security perspective than luxury concerns.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 7:47 am
Original Poster

https://www.facebook.com/HKCCF1300/p...type=3&theater

Hong Kong Cabin Crew Federation calls for discipline and review of procedures.

Interestingly, in the document it did mentions HKIA has "VIP Passage" (貴賓通道)

Finally, from the story alone the daughter realized what she forgot AFTER she cleared security and went airside. We don't know if she went "VIP" or "Normal"
going to airside.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:19 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy

Finally, from the story alone the daughter realized what she forgot AFTER she cleared security and went airside. We don't know if she went "VIP" or "Normal"
going to airside.
Normal for sure, because the VIP passage is next to car park 4 and is completely separated from T1 (and 2 if that matters )
Old Apr 8, 2016, 10:19 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist

going to airside.
I still don't understand how one "forgets" ones carry on baggage....you'd realize it at security when one of your bags is missing....
Old Apr 8, 2016, 10:57 am

Every airport has VIP facilities. Honestly, do you think the daughter of Obama wouldn't get special treatment when flying commercial? And in case when she forgets something, that they wouldn't bend over to fix it?

This is just some crap that is stired by those who don't like Leung Chun-ying. Hardly surprising it was posted in the apple crappaper. But that story is even below their usual "quality".
Old Apr 8, 2016, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
This is just some crap that is stired by those who don't like Leung Chun-ying. Hardly surprising it was posted in the apple crappaper. But that story is even below their usual "quality".
Agreed. I actually don't see what the big deal is all about.

Politics aside, even if she were an ordinary pax, why can't she return to get her bag that she forgot at security? Isn't it even more dangerous if random people all start leaving their bags at security (that they apparently aren't allowed to retrieve?)

In any case, everything would have been fine if she had used the VIP terminal. I guess trying to go low key doesn't work all the time!
Old Apr 8, 2016, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carmy
Agreed. I actually don't see what the big deal is all about.
The big deal is the spirit of Rule of Law, that nobody is above the Law, that if we start to accept "special people" can be above the law in "small instances", then don't get mad when they are above the law in ALL cases.

If I had forgot my bag landside, and asked AVSECO to retrieve it for me, I would be laughed in the face, my bag would be confiscated, probably disposed of, I would have to choose to missed my flight or go back landside, and CX probably won't put me on another flight free of charge. That's the difference, that's the big deal. The Law is the Law, it doesn't bend over backwards for anybody. And believe me, if Obama daughter did this, it would be media mayhem in USA.

Politics aside, even if she were an ordinary pax, why can't she return to get her bag that she forgot at security? Isn't it even more dangerous if random people all start leaving their bags at security (that they apparently aren't allowed to retrieve?)
1) It's against the law. Try it for yourself next time, cross the custom, and asked to "go back to retrieve something", see what they say.

2) Yes it's security risk, which is why AVSECO protocol mandates the item be examined and disposed of.

In any case, everything would have been fine if she had used the VIP terminal. I guess trying to go low key doesn't work all the time!
Everything would have been fine if she follows the law, like you and I.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

First victim to First Family's illegal actions

The agent of AVSECO that helped her retrieved her bag was fired. The AVSECO Assistant Manager that authorized him to retrieved it for her, and apologizes to Mrs. Leung, was not fired. People are more fumed now according to HK media.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 12:53 pm

Cathay Boy, welcome to reality. Not everyone is the same..

And.. She wasn't acting TOTALLY out of her place. She IS (!) a VIP as the daugther of the "leader" of HK, period. Similar with any daugther of any ruling leader anywhere.

In fact, from what was reported (by the fairly anti-gouvernmental media) she even thanked the airport staff to have it made possible to check her forgotten stuff in. Hardly "Korean nuts", if you ask me..

Calling this a security risk makes you just one thing yourself: a fool.

Anyone with a brain knows those "rules" are a total joke and aren't working in reality. How can you be SURE your baggage hasn't been tempered with? I've had SQ security at the gate smuggling a fake gun into my luggage for testing their own security.. and forgetting it there.. that's probably about 1000x times more dangerous than what happened here.. but of course that poisoned apple junk had to report such non-issue. They seem to know CRAP about real issues at any airports worldwide, if they think this is an issue.

Well, do yourself a favour and ignore crap like this and dumb "newspapers" like that apple stuff will vanish. Give no voice to idiocracy.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Cathay Boy, welcome to reality. Not everyone is the same..
Reality is created by the people of the society. If you let the powers to be to really be super-humans, then don't complain when the government starts to treat you like dirt.

And.. She wasn't acting TOTALLY out of her place. She IS (!) a VIP as the daugther of the "leader" of HK, period. Similar with any daugther of any ruling leader anywhere.
Did Hong Kong passed a law that says First Family are except from laws of the land?

In fact, from what was reported (by the fairly anti-gouvernmental media) she even thanked the airport staff to have it made possible to check her forgotten stuff in. Hardly "Korean nuts", if you ask me..
Wow, just wow. I don't even know how to reply to this sheep mentality. A power family "thank" someone and we should be honored by this. Has Hong Kong revert back to Monarchy?

Calling this a security risk makes you just one thing yourself: a fool.
FAA, World flying governing body, will not tolerate this because it poses security risk. I won't comment on your insults but I see that I'm writing to a sheep.

Anyone with a brain knows those "rules" are a total joke
I see many laws made by gov't as "jokes" doesn't mean I go around breaking them.

Well, do yourself a favour and ignore crap like this and dumb "newspapers" like that apple stuff will vanish. Give no voice to idiocracy.
I hope you realized it's people like you and your mentality that allows people like Hitler to come into power.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 1:17 pm

So.. you REALLY think that any similar VIP wouldn't get similar treatment - in fact, IS getting similar treatment, when travelling, worldwide?

Don't make yourself a joke.. yes, technically, when she was flying commercial, she is bound to the same rules (as much as they're a joke) - but so would be Obamas daugther, or Merkels husband.. we all know, that in reality they would get VIP treatment.

In fact, imaging the wife of the PM of the UK forgetting her purse landside.. probably wouldn't even need her mother to get it to her, period. This isn't a security issue, as much as you're trying to make it.
We aren't a nazi Germany and Goebbels propaganda here, where a lie becomes the truth as long as you repeat it enough.

You're free to report this under HK law, which is fine. But reporting something stupid means you're actually reporting it. I hope the reader of "apple" are smart enough to understand what utter bollocks they're feed here.

It would be fine to report if she had been, as an example, used her VIP status to smuggle drugs. Perfectly fine. Albeit I'm sure the good guys that security in HK are (in fact they're pretty slow and lame in my opinion) wouldn't have let her through with drugs. But a forgotten hand luggage, to allow her mother (!) to check it as checkin luggage for her? That's like, you know, absolutely no problem. The luggage will still get checked (where is your "security risk" there???) and just make it to the plane. I don't see a problem. Do you see one?

I recently had a friend of mine making it to PEK _way_ too late. her fault, 100%. It wasn't even traffic jam. Guess what? She was allowed to checkin 15min _after_ checkin deadline (international flight) - she was rushed by staff to the gate, just made her flight. That's service - not "VIP".

Get over it, they didn't "broke the law". They made a (rather stupid) mistake, they probably used their VIP status to bend the (silly) rules a bit, but nothing dangerous happend, no one got put into any kind of risk, it all came out fine.

Just "thanks" to the apple "newspaper", a security staff lost his job. Because he probably bent the rules slightly for a VIP. Wow! I do see things like that 100x times a day, in any country of the world. Is anyone losing their job because of that? No, because no silly "newspaper" is reporting non-issues.

I hope you feel happy about supporting that makes sure people loses their jobs about non-issues. I really hope he doesn't have a family to take care off, and that no children will now go to bed hungry because some opposition newspaper made an elephant out of a fly.

I wonder what the apple "newspaper" would report of Obama's (or any of their others friends) daughter would get a (small) VIP treatment at an airport.. let me guess.. they wouldn't report it all, because it doesn't fit their agenda.

But it apparently does fit Cathay Boy's agenda.. (who apparently likes to make Hitler comparisons, which usually says enough about the poster himself)
Old Apr 8, 2016, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Ok Ok, I'll stay on topic, not much more use trying to argue with a Chinese Patriot
Old Apr 8, 2016, 1:58 pm

Ok Ok, I'll stay on topic, not much more use trying to argue with a Chinese Patriot
My passport (and neither my "race", if you believe in that) doesn't have anything to do with China.. not even my location (I just like real Chinese food ) but fine, if you insist.. I'm sure I'm posting this from the capital of Beijing (Plenty of FTers can back me up..)

I just don't like when some media - out of pure political agenda - try to make something out of nothing.

by the way, it's 5am right now in China. Either you REALLY like to get up early on saturday morning, or you're not there either

When you run out of arguments, tell your counterpart he's working for a secret enemy intelligency academy. 101 basic internet forum discussion.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 2:40 pm

My passport (and neither my "race", if you believe in that) doesn't have anything to do with China.. not even my location (I just like real Chinese food ) but fine, if you insist.. I'm sure I'm posting this from the capital of Beijing (Plenty of FTers can back me up..)

I just don't like when some media - out of pure political agenda - try to make something out of nothing.

by the way, it's 5am right now in China. Either you REALLY like to get up early on saturday morning, or you're not there either

When you run out of arguments, tell your counterpart he's working for a secret enemy intelligency academy. 101 basic internet forum discussion.
What I would see from your words is a mentality of Chinese leader superiority... Your every world is full of Chinese patriotic DNA that nothing is wrong with the "leaders" no matter what.

Of course it's a political agenda involving a political leader out here.

Would it be a security breach? Surely it is. A repilca of the fiasco (available at 100 毛/tvmost)had demonstrated airport staff (AVESCO, AA, CX) had simply refused to deliver a bag of pax from landslide thru security to airside.

We must praise airport staff are defending the security up in the air (but not "our" government).

Would you trust HKSAR government officials denying any wrong-doing in this fiasco? I don't.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.