Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do CX check credit card?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by suziemay
So, this thread is interesting. I've never been asked to show my credit card for verification, nor do I even remember ticking a box acknowledging this! However, I'm looking to book a flight for my dad, it seems that I should call Cathay and ask them about this credit card verification thingy or he may be denied boarding? I don't understand why this is a thing, isn't the cc charged when I book the ticket online?
It only happens when you buy direct from CX and payment is not verified. CX doesn't need verification for redemption surcharges. If you purchase your ticket from a TA, CX doesn't care.

CX will not deny boarding as long as someone makes a verifiable payment. In the worst scenario, your dad can pay with his credit card or cash at the airport and CX will refund your payment to your credit card.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:54 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Just adding my $0.02 on this
I had to buy a very hefty 29/3-6/4 C fare just because Smith Matriarch decided to spite my brother who tried to make her Easter visit to Aus difficult (I redeemed 26/3-4/4 in J but my brother refused to driver her 27-29/3 on account that my niece should not be allowed to miss any extracurricular)

After a lot of intercontinental, intersibling hand wringing I set about buying the ticket
There's no obvious miles promos on credit cards and the best card the resident flyertalk-hongkongcard gang came up with was Wewa card 4% rebate https://www.wewacard.com/cash_rebate/ (I'm still amazed the best card to buy a CX ticket with is from a consumer finance company)

I didn't have the card, but I put Matriarch on a 72-hour hold so there's no time for me to get the card (I now have the card)
A quick roto-Whatsapp located one hkcard contact with the CUP version

HK Unionpay cards have difficulty being used online
But a FTer said it could work, so I decided to try

As the contact won't be presenting himself to HKIA counter/TST office I absolutely needed the transaction to be verified.
I received preliminary assurances from 2747 3333 that all transactions with the CX CUP gateway is always verified

There was a small hiccup when his first attempt to card Matriarch's C tix was refused
He asked if he could use Visa
I asked whether Primecredit (Wewa issuer) has VbV and we called Primecredit CS. The answer is no.
2747 3333 opined that the Wewa Visa case will be subject to credit card check at TST/HKIA.

He had another crack at the CUP - turns out that not many Primecredit cardholders charge 5-digits at cx.com so they locked his card but allowed him to release the lock on phone identification

After ticketing I phoned again to check again that the ticket need not verify credit card and received positive assurance that the ticket is verified.

Last edited by percysmith; Mar 26, 2018 at 7:08 am
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:56 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Fly2Where
For those interested .This is my recent experience (see below). Note, I booked online (ticket on hold), JFK-HKG, and paid the ticket over the phone. The phone agent reminded me to bring the credit card I used on the day of travel or any time I pass by a CX ticket office. Otherwise, they will charge the whole amount on the day of travel and refund the credit card charged if I forget to bring the card.
I had an experience many years ago, booked an award flight for my in law (TPE-HKG), and he was asked to show the credit card I paid for the tax/fee during check in. (I did bring, however, so no issue )

i booked theu the net as a result.

Latest Update as at: Hong Kong Time 04:11, 20 Nov (GMT 20:11, 19 Nov) Reload booking record(s)

XClose announcement
  • Our records indicate that we need to verify the credit card used for this booking. Please present the credit card at your local ticketing office (if available) or at the airport counter upon check-in.
    If you have already verified the credit card used for this booking , please ignore the above message.
im hkg based and this is what the phone agent told me if i book thru the phone too, as of 2 weeks ago.

Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:06 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
The other reason why one doesnt have to verify is if ure silver up in mpo
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:11 pm

Hi all

I used another airline's award redemption(AS) for a CX flight from HKG to LAX for the wife.
Would she need to show the credit card?
I wouldnt be there and the payment was under my cc.

Thanks!
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:36 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Not redemptions. Be they AM, Avios, Phoenixmiles or AS
Old Mar 30, 2018, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
It only happens when you buy direct from CX and payment is not verified. CX doesn't need verification for redemption surcharges. If you purchase your ticket from a TA, CX doesn't care.

CX will not deny boarding as long as someone makes a verifiable payment. In the worst scenario, your dad can pay with his credit card or cash at the airport and CX will refund your payment to your credit card.
Can you elaborate on "verifiable payment"? So if I buy direct from Cathay and pay with an Amex card and the payment goes through, is that verified? How will I know if it's not verified? On Qatar I think you get a notification that you need to present your card at check-in, or complete some third party payment form (and I didn't have to do this). I was also able to buy a ticket for my dad on Emirates and no payment verification was necessary.

Thanks!
Old Mar 30, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by suziemay
Can you elaborate on "verifiable payment"? So if I buy direct from Cathay and pay with an Amex card and the payment goes through, is that verified? How will I know if it's not verified? On Qatar I think you get a notification that you need to present your card at check-in, or complete some third party payment form (and I didn't have to do this). I was also able to buy a ticket for my dad on Emirates and no payment verification was necessary.

Thanks!
I am not 100% sure, but I think if your transaction is processed through AMEX Safekey, then it is verified.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I am not 100% sure, but I think if your transaction is processed through AMEX Safekey, then it is verified.
Ah, OK. Thank you! I should probably verify ( ) with CX just to be on the safe side.

Thank you!
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
What is entailed in “verifying” the card at check in? Do they just look at it? Swipe/authorize it?

If I bought tickets using a card that was subsequently replaced because of fraudulent use, should I still carry that old card with me on the day of travel? Or will that not avoid a refund/re-charge because the card is no longer active? If they do have to refund and charge my current card (same account with Amex), does the refund post without issues or could that be a problem since the old card is deactivated?
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by javabytes
What is entailed in “verifying” the card at check in? Do they just look at it? Swipe/authorize it?

If I bought tickets using a card that was subsequently replaced because of fraudulent use, should I still carry that old card with me on the day of travel? Or will that not avoid a refund/re-charge because the card is no longer active? If they do have to refund and charge my current card (same account with Amex), does the refund post without issues or could that be a problem since the old card is deactivated?
They just look at the card to match numbers (acct and CVV).
It happens when I purchase tickets close to departure flying HKG MNL HKG
javabytes likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:27 pm

Make a phone booking in Oct. online check in does not allow me to print boarding pass. Kiosk check In also error. Need to go to counter and they ask to see credit card

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.