Do CX check credit card?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:18 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Saltire74
I assume that this won’t be an issue doing it at LHR despite departing AMS? I don’t think I’ve ever had to do this before
Yes it should be fine to do this.

However, you might want to call CX and check if you do have to do this. When you booked, if you got one of those two factor code things that you had to enter while processing the payment, you usually don't have to present the card later.

If you call them, they can see if there is still a need to present the card for your booking.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:22 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by sxc

However, you might want to call CX and check if you do have to do this. When you booked, if you got one of those two factor code things that you had to enter while processing the payment, you usually don't have to present the card later.

If you call them, they can see if there is still a need to present the card for your booking.
Only made the booking with agent, supplied card details and received booking reference. E-ticket received within minutes. No two factor authentication done and red highlighted message on MMB telling me the card has to be checked before travel.

Thanks for the confirmation sxc.

S
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:26 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Only made the booking with agent, supplied card details and received booking reference. E-ticket received within minutes. No two factor authentication done and red highlighted message on MMB telling me the card has to be checked before travel.

Thanks for the confirmation sxc.

S
You made a booking with a travel agent? In that case, you shouldn't have to show a card. The agent takes on the credit card risk.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:30 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by sxc
You made a booking with a travel agent? In that case, you shouldn't have to show a card. The agent takes on the credit card risk.
It was with CX over the phone. Couldn’t get the price online but did over the phone.

S
Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
It was with CX over the phone. Couldn’t get the price online but did over the phone.

S
My previous experience with purchasing CX tickets directly over the phone is that no credit card check is needed.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Never had that happen yet for me.
same here. Not in FRA, HKG, PEK, BKK, KIX, DUS, LHR, Haikou, Sanya
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:45 pm

Programs: MPC Gold
I once purchased my ticket online with the credit card of my father-in-law. Worried that I'd have to show this card upon checking in I called CX for clarification.

After speaking to CX customer rep, they will email you an official CX credit card authorization form. You have to fill the form up and email back with the following info:
1. Filled up Authorization Form
2. Photocopy of the back and front of the credit card used
3. Photocopy of the ID of the card holder

After you send all that information back, CX notes it in their system and the actual card does not need to be shown at the check-in counter.

All the other times that I've purchased my ticket online with my own credit card, I've had to present the actual card used upon checking-in.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by dmatthew
I once purchased my ticket online with the credit card of my father-in-law. Worried that I'd have to show this card upon checking in I called CX for clarification.

After speaking to CX customer rep, they will email you an official CX credit card authorization form. You have to fill the form up and email back with the following info:
1. Filled up Authorization Form
2. Photocopy of the back and front of the credit card used
3. Photocopy of the ID of the card holder

After you send all that information back, CX notes it in their system and the actual card does not need to be shown at the check-in counter.

All the other times that I've purchased my ticket online with my own credit card, I've had to present the actual card used upon checking-in.

That is very strange. Where are you based?
Old Nov 18, 2017, 3:33 am

In my experience, no.

As long as you pay with 'secured by visa' or other form of 2FA, you should not be asked for that. I use my mom's credit card for my flight before and use my own card now, and never encountered those issues.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:15 am
Moderator, Emirates

Interesting replies folks. When thinking back to when I booked my flights, I now remember the CX agent also saying that the payment card would need to be verified. It will do no harm to get it done when I'm passing through LHR.

Thanks for the replies.

S
Old Nov 19, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
For those interested .This is my recent experience (see below). Note, I booked online (ticket on hold), JFK-HKG, and paid the ticket over the phone. The phone agent reminded me to bring the credit card I used on the day of travel or any time I pass by a CX ticket office. Otherwise, they will charge the whole amount on the day of travel and refund the credit card charged if I forget to bring the card.
I had an experience many years ago, booked an award flight for my in law (TPE-HKG), and he was asked to show the credit card I paid for the tax/fee during check in. (I did bring, however, so no issue )

Latest Update as at: Hong Kong Time 04:11, 20 Nov (GMT 20:11, 19 Nov) Reload booking record(s)

XClose announcement
  • Our records indicate that we need to verify the credit card used for this booking. Please present the credit card at your local ticketing office (if available) or at the airport counter upon check-in.
    If you have already verified the credit card used for this booking , please ignore the above message.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: MPC Gold
Originally Posted by brunos
That is very strange. Where are you based?
Hi @brunos , am based in MNL. Found it was a regular thing for the people at the CX check-in counters here to ask for the credit card used when the ticket was purchased online.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
CX demands me always, though never asked to see the card at check-in, though maybe also because the first CX ticket was purchased through AMEX with points, subsequent tickets payed with AMEX on the same name and I am WHCR bound at the airports.

TG also demands always, though never asked to see the (alternating brand) card at check-in. Maybe again, because I show up in a wheelchair.

CI also demanded always, though only verified the very first time.

So, it could very well be, that once you are considered a "trusted" passenger, they have a mark behind your name and the factual showing is no longer needed.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:18 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Hi all. Rather than start a new thread will piggy back on this one.

Taking my CX flights from AMS in just over two weeks. Am transiting in LHR 2 days before with what should be an ample transit time. Need to get the card I used to pay for my flights over the phone verified at the ticket desk and would like to get this sorted before my actual flight date.

I assume that this won’t be an issue doing it at LHR despite departing AMS? I don’t think I’ve ever had to do this before

Been a long time since I’ve been to LHR T3. Any pointers where the CX ticket desk is located? I’m sure it will be open at 07:30hrs as they have a morning departure?

Thanks in advance

S
Originally Posted by sxc

Interesting replies folks. When thinking back to when I booked my flights, I now remember the CX agent also saying that the payment card would need to be verified. It will do no harm to get it done when I'm passing through LHR.

Thanks for the replies.

S
Hi All

Just to report back. Went to CX ticket desk at T3 LHR during my transit on 30/11. Got card verified after the agent asked for Passport, PNR & payment card. Only hassle was getting through T3 Immigration at that time in the morning and just missing a HEX to get back to T5.

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:47 pm

So, this thread is interesting. I've never been asked to show my credit card for verification, nor do I even remember ticking a box acknowledging this! However, I'm looking to book a flight for my dad, it seems that I should call Cathay and ask them about this credit card verification thingy or he may be denied boarding? I don't understand why this is a thing, isn't the cc charged when I book the ticket online?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.