FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   LAX to HKG questions. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1754326-lax-hkg-questions.html)

startpacking Mar 20, 2016 10:06 pm

LAX to HKG questions.

I will fly ??? (departure city unknown at present, but it will be an AA hub) - LAX - HKG in J. I have a reservation for CX 897, assuming no award space opens up for a different flight on CX I will have to arrive at LAX the day earlier.

What time does check in for CX 897 open? Can I check in the day before and check my bag to HKG when I check in with AA for my first flight? Will airport security allow me to get airside the night before CX 897 so that I can relax in the OW lounge?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dr. HFH Mar 20, 2016 11:04 pm

Is XXX-LAX-HKG on a single ticket as a connection? Or is LAX a stop?

Orwaid Mar 21, 2016 12:21 am

Hi -

Generally, CX will check you in 3-3.5 hours before your flight.

I think they close the OW Lounge after the last flight of the night. I know CX does this in Hong Kong too.

startpacking Mar 21, 2016 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH (Post 26362398)
Is XXX-LAX-HKG on a single ticket as a connection? Or is LAX a stop?

It's on a single ticket. My intention is to have a little less than 12 hours at LAX so that AA should be able to check my bag to HKG when I check in for the first flight. I really don't want to see/do anything in the LAX area so I was thinking of heading the OW lounge staying there until they close and returning the lounge in the morning before my flight.

hiima Mar 21, 2016 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by startpacking (Post 26363557)
It's on a single ticket. My intention is to have a little less than 12 hours at LAX so that AA should be able to check my bag to HKG when I check in for the first flight. I really don't want to see/do anything in the LAX area so I was thinking of heading the OW lounge staying there until they close and returning the lounge in the morning before my flight.

I'd suggest getting a hotel room for the night if you have an overnight layover. Your bags should be checked through if less than 24 hours. You can check in 4 hours before flight.

Ready2Go Mar 21, 2016 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by startpacking (Post 26362232)
Will airport security allow me to get airside the night before CX 897 so that I can relax in the OW lounge?

You won't need help getting airside; there is now an airside connector between AA's terminal and the international terminal. You can walk over to the OW lounge when you arrive without going landside. The problem is that I doubt they'll let you in. OW lounges operate as departure lounges. If your departing flight is not until the next day, I don't think you're eligible for access.

conde Mar 21, 2016 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Ready2Go (Post 26366780)
You won't need help getting airside; there is now an airside connector between AA's terminal and the international terminal. You can walk over to the OW lounge when you arrive without going landside. The problem is that I doubt they'll let you in. OW lounges operate as departure lounges. If your departing flight is not until the next day, I don't think you're eligible for access.

I agree about no prior day OW lounge access... I believe that the OW lounge passes would be issued for use on the morning of the flight, not the night before. Since AA merged with US Air, there might be some "AA" flights arriving at the old US Air Terminal at LAX, which is not as convenient to the international terminal as legacy AA. To determine how convenient access is to the international terminal, it would be best to check the flight numbers and arrival terminal information. Unless AA from the originating city issues a pass for same day access to the OW lounge at LAX , the best bet for the OP would be to go to the hotel or where the OP would be staying for the night. It would also be good to check on the AA forum for more information regarding onward boarding passes. AA issued the award ticket. Check-in and baggage check will be handled by AA from the port of departure.

AC*SE Mar 22, 2016 11:24 am

Even if your AA flight arrives at T6, you can use the airside busses to get to T4, and then get over to TBIT. But the night before you won't have lounge access, and getting landside might be a problem. Far better to get a hotel at LAX.