Wiki Posts
Search

DXB lounge

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2016, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
DXB lounge

I arrived in DXB this evening via an SV flight from RUH that was on a single PNR and so had a boarding pass for my onward CX flights in business class. I came to the BA lounge and they tried to tell me to go to the LH lounge, saying from today forward CX was using that lounge. I had some back and forth about this thing called one world and these elite program cards they give us and such and finally was granted entry. But they have back several times for my AA card and asking questions. Whatever the change is, it has the BA folks confused, so be prepared for some push back if you try to use this lounge.

I've never been to the LH lounge so not sure if it's a better place or what, but would just assume stick to a OW carrier lounge.

Edited to add: oh yeah I forgot from my *A days how LH does that Senator vs Business lounge thing. The LH lounge that CX is sending people to is a big step down from the BA lounge. It's a smaller room, crowded and less comfortable chairs. Definitely head to the BA lounge and forgo the lounge invitation that you get at checkin ;-)

Last edited by stephem; Mar 2, 2016 at 12:16 pm
Old Mar 2, 2016, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

One additional note. At the gate, it's seemingly staffed mostly by DNata contractors, but there was one very professional gentleman walking around who I got in a conversation with as the line waited. He knew I was in business class, so asked if I enjoyed the new lounge. I was candid and he seemed surprised. I finally conceded that maybe the BA lounge was empty because all the CX passengers dutifully went to the LH lounge. There were only 2 of us in the LH lounge.

Anyway, sitting in the Bridge now and it only reinforces that the LH business lounge in DXB is decidedly not adequate for Cathay. I know it's an outstation, but DXB is a slick airport and I think business class guests will agree that Cathay could and should do better than the LH lounge.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 9:34 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by stephem
There were only 2 of us in the LH lounge.
You mean only 2 of you in the BA lounge?
Old Mar 2, 2016, 10:42 pm

The BA lounge in DXB is brand new with brand new staff. There's a chance they just don't know the Oneworld rules yet.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
You mean only 2 of you in the BA lounge?
Yup, that's what a short night of sleep on a plane does to my proofing skills;-)

I probably should have kept it simple:
BA lounge quite nice
LH lounge not so much
Old Mar 2, 2016, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by phol
The BA lounge in DXB is brand new with brand new staff. There's a chance they just don't know the Oneworld rules yet.
That appears to be the case, I didn't realize that but it now makes lots of sense. They were a bit green in several ways.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: BA- GGL, Hyatt-GLB, Marriott- AMB
QR just opened their own lounge in Terminal 1 Concourse C, next to the Dubai International Hotel Lounge that CX uses. The BA Lounge is in the new Concourse D, with its own Concorde Bar, which is limited to BA's Concorde card members and those flying BA first class. I assume the QR lounge should allow OW members access, but there is a limit of 3 hours max.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Took the early flight to HKG from DXB and was given an invitation to the LH Business Lounge. It's really small and doesn't have much to offer. I swung by the BA lounge only to find it closed.

The Oneworld website lists the following hours - Daily: 0530-0920, 1000-1400, 2130-0200

Those flying CX out of Dubai should make plans to hang out in the lovely new concourse instead.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:51 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
The working hours of the BA lounge listed on oneworld website are wrong. I had a 5 hours layover in DXB this week before the CX746. The BA lounge was quite full when I arrived at 12:30, but it emptied out following the departure of BA104 at 13:15.

The agent struggled a bit with accepting my mobile boarding pass and tried to send me to the LH lounge, but she did let me in at the end. I asked what time do they close and she replied that they stay open all day, but the food is removed at 2 pm.

The CX transit desk opens at 14:00 and you do have access to it from airside (it's after the security screening and they don't check your BP there), so in case of a long layover you can go to the lounge and then go down to get your BP after 2 pm.

I relocated to the LH lounge, which was as empty as the BA one, but way more pleasant. CX sends SL/GO/OWS/J pax to the Business Class Side and DM/OWE to the Senator Side. The latter only had 3 people in it, all flying MS.

My personal recommendation would be to go to the LH lounge if you are DM/OWE and the BA lounge if not (or if you arrive DXB earlier than 13:35 when the LH lounge opens).
Old Sep 5, 2017, 12:36 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald/GHA Discovery Black
Is there anything to stop me sampling both the BA and LH lounges? I am OneWorld Emerald travelling on CX746 in business next month. I have sampled both sides of the LH lounge at DXB and find it fairly underwhelming but have yet to even see inside the BA lounge. I am curious why CX doesn't cooperate with a fellow OneWorld airline (BA) for lounge access at an outstation.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:41 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by Work-Shy
Is there anything to stop me sampling both the BA and LH lounges? I am OneWorld Emerald travelling on CX746 in business next month. I have sampled both sides of the LH lounge at DXB and find it fairly underwhelming but have yet to even see inside the BA lounge. I am curious why CX doesn't cooperate with a fellow OneWorld airline (BA) for lounge access at an outstation.
No, there is nothing stopping you from visiting both lounges.
Work-Shy likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:39 pm

I'm interested to know the latest advice on DXB business lounge options.

I'll be in transit from approx. 19:30 for a 23:45 departure on CX738. Flying business with no status. From what I've read, the BA lounge sounds preferable, but also doesn't open until 21:30. I also have Priority Pass so can access Ahlan and Marhaba, but haven't been impressed with Marhabas in the past. I intend to have a shower and drink and something to eat. I have been in the T3 Ahlan lounge and find the toilet facilities extremely bad. Anyone know how the T1 lounge compares?

Shall I go to BA, LH, or Ahlan? Or any other options worth considering?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:52 am

Go to Ahla, LH is terrible, I didn’t go into BA as it was closed...
Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:54 am

I flew CX 738 to HK too, Allan was big and nice, with lots of al la carte food offerings, pasta, south eastern dishes, Chinese, Japanese etc...
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: CX, Hyatt
One more vote for Ahlan (PP and select CX flight). LH is one of the most pathetic partner lounges of CX - small, cramped, bad hot food selection (although on hot food there's worse).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.