Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voluntarily downgrade…!?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2016, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Question Voluntarily downgrade…!?

So, time of the year again, where business is a 3rd of the price of economy (yep, all discounted Y seats gone, so at 560 Euro rtn it seemed like a good thing to book in business from PEK-BKK via HKG)

Thing is, that there are still some of the old herringbone designs onboard the A343. And we happen to have that on the way from BKK-HKG (only one sector). Since I am travelling with a partner, and its only a 3 hr flight, with lunch, I would much prefer to have a different seating arrangement.

LAst year I was offered some compensation for accepting a volunteer downgrade, and it was perfect! (blocked seat next to me in PY, cash, voucher etc..) The plane was changed from a B777 to a A343, so it had old herringbone.

This time its seems to be old herrinbone on the A343 again.

How would you go about changing into Premium Economy from Business? I guess I could always ask after boarding, but if PY is full, then I would also need to ask if two people like to swap, and not sure if thats even allowed by the airline.

What you guys think? Any one done something like this, or has some bright idea how to get two adjacent seats in PY instead of the two seats behind each other in J? (adjacent makes no sense on the old herringbone, as too far to even hear each other without shouting!)

Thanks

Last edited by timesnaps; Jan 30, 2016 at 8:02 am
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

mmmh... no replies. Looks like I am the only one ever to attempt that. BTW, just called them, and they told me there is no free seats in Y+, so I guess Herringbone it is!
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:15 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
They'll only offer downgrade compensation if they need J seats. If you want to downgrade for no reason they won't offer voucher or whatever.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:37 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I'd kill for herringbone BKK-HKG. It make napping much more comfortable. I got A343 HKG-BKK 7/2.

We had 16/17K. The wife leaned over the partition a couple of times to swap mains and wines.

Since it's not a US flight I suppose an on-board swap is possible...if it is a one-off
fairhsa likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 3:28 am

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Originally Posted by alphaod
They'll only offer downgrade compensation if they need J seats. If you want to downgrade for no reason they won't offer voucher or whatever.
I had this experience over the weekend flying MNL-HKG-PVG. The first flight was delayed and caused a tighter than desired connection at HKG and I asked to be rebooked on an earlier flight MNL-HKG. I had a paid J ticket but J was full on that earlier flight but Y seats were available. They offered to let me sit in Y but offered no compensation for the downgrade.

I get it as this was a voluntary downgrade so I did not have to rush through HKG security and rush to my gate upon arrival to make the connection, but with the first flight being delayed I felt something could be done on the part of Cathay. Sad to say for me that answer was no. If the original trip was not delayed I would not have desired to get on an earlier flight as I originally had plenty of time for the connection.

This was my first round trip flight on CX and, not to sound too much like a complainer or whiny about it, it will likely factor into my future decisions on whom to fly within Asia.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by SFHokie
I had this experience over the weekend flying MNL-HKG-PVG. The first flight was delayed and caused a tighter than desired connection at HKG and I asked to be rebooked on an earlier flight MNL-HKG.
What was the reason for the original delay? If it was directly attributable to CX (mechanical, crew) then you've a stronger case (culpable failure on CX's part). If it is out of their control e.g. ATC delay (Manila) or weather then you're at least partly responsible for tight connection and/or inflexibility.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 4:04 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by percysmith
What was the reason for the original delay? If it was directly attributable to CX (mechanical, crew) then you've a stronger case (culpable failure on CX's part). If it is out of their control e.g. ATC delay (Manila) or weather then you're at least partly responsible for tight connection and/or inflexibility.
Originally Posted by SFHokie
I had this experience over the weekend flying MNL-HKG-PVG. The first flight was delayed and caused a tighter than desired connection at HKG and I asked to be rebooked on an earlier flight MNL-HKG. I had a paid J ticket but J was full on that earlier flight but Y seats were available. They offered to let me sit in Y but offered no compensation for the downgrade.

I get it as this was a voluntary downgrade so I did not have to rush through HKG security and rush to my gate upon arrival to make the connection, but with the first flight being delayed I felt something could be done on the part of Cathay. Sad to say for me that answer was no. If the original trip was not delayed I would not have desired to get on an earlier flight as I originally had plenty of time for the connection.

This was my first round trip flight on CX and, not to sound too much like a complainer or whiny about it, it will likely factor into my future decisions on whom to fly within Asia.
to percy's point, i'm curious for more details.

it's a tough situation for Cathay and you too with the connection, but I just really don't think they can be compensating you for that, putting everything aside (and assuming at HKG you still would've been within the MCT). If you think about it, and again assuming the delayed flight was still within MCT at HKG (if not, then I think they should've given you something) - what are they supposed to do? Delays happen all the time. My last delay was....3 days ago. I had a 90 minute delay on the weekend due to an amber rainstorm in Hong Kong on Saturday. I did not get compensation for that, or any of the other delays (had one earlier in the week to PVG due to ATC). It just doesn't seem realistic.

I guess it all depends on the reason and length of the delay. If you were pulling out of a connection that was still legal (despite delay), their earlier flight was full (as it was) and the delay was rain related or something outside their control, I just don't see why they should compensate.

On the other hand, if the delay put you within the MCT or it was some mechanical reason, then I have less sympathy for them.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Voluntary downgrading is strictly a personal preference, IMHO.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by garykung
That's just like saying an hour has sixty minutes.

Is this case a case of truly voluntary downgrading?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 4:32 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by garykung
Originally Posted by percysmith
That's just like saying an hour has sixty minutes.

Is this case a case of truly voluntary downgrading?
yea exactly, this is why I'm keen for more details from the OP. If the connection was going to be below the MCT, for example (can CX do that??), then I think the OP has every right to demand an earlier flight or something else, no matter if CX assures him/her "it will be fine". I am just interested for more details.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.