Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2016, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Eagle2000
This thread is for specific A350 discussion.

For discussion regarding the A350-1000 please discuss here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1909549-a350-1000-general-discussion.html

Seating Guide
A350 Seating Guide

Routes to be serviced by A350:
Cathay Pacific full fleet and route guide (search for 35G for A350): Cathay Pacific Fleet, Route and Configuration Guide
Useful thread: New route speculation for Cathay

Already operating or confirmed (date of commencement)
Amsterdam
Auckland
Barcelona
Brisbane
Brussels
Capetown
Christchurch
Dublin
Frankfurt (March 31, 2019)
London Gatwick
Madrid
Manchester
Melbourne
Newark
Paris
Perth
Rome
San Francisco
Seattle (March 31, 2019)
Toronto (Su,W,F Oct 31 2019)
Tel Aviv
Vancouver
Washington DC
Zurich (March 31, 2019)
​​​​​​

Existing routes, speculated future equipment change to A350
Chicago
Milan
Los Angeles

Speculated future routes
Print Wikipost

A350 general discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: BA, Virgin, Lufthansa
Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
Hello, I wonder if you can help me out. I'm trying to decide whether to go for the A350 or the 777 on the LON-HGK route for myself & my elderly parents in business class.
I have read a bunch of reviews and watched some video reviews but none I've found really deal with this specific issue so well.
Just done LHR > HGK > BNE return… LHR > HKG legs were in a 777, and HKG > BNE in an A350

I prefered the A350 - was quieter, had larger IFE screen, and the seat seamed more comfortable (overall both seats seemed a bit too hard as a bed.

I'm 5’9” and didn't have any problems with space for my feet
Sisyphus1carus likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Except 11DG, 359's J would be better than 777's... I particularly like the small cushion running along the seat so when I'm sitting up right my leg still have somewhere to put onto.

Storage also the 359 version's better
Sisyphus1carus likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
Hello, I wonder if you can help me out. I'm trying to decide whether to go for the A350 or the 777 on the LON-HGK route for myself & my elderly parents in business class.
I have read a bunch of reviews and watched some video reviews but none I've found really deal with this specific issue so well.

Which is more comfortable when configured as a bed ?
Is there a difference in the space available for your feet in the cubby hole ?

Is this space for your feet different when taking a seat row with a bulkhead infront of you (which is better - bulkhead or standard) ?

Thankyou in advance of your time & help.
Go A350.

A350 for me is much more comfortable when in bed mode due to the increased surface area by utilising the area under the bedside table area. I sleep on my side so that extra room to spread my legs/bend my knees makes a difference. The actual cubby hole at the very end is basically the same size for both. I am 5ft11 and length was fine for me.

A350 seat feels a lot newer and fresher. The screen is better and I also like the touch screen controller. Air quality seems better and I find myself waking up less in the night with dry mouth/nostrils on the A350 (perhaps humidity is higher?).

Bulkhead seats have the same size cubby hole from what I saw. For seats I usually pick last row of the mini-cabin as I find it private and almost zero foot traffic.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 12:18 am

Programs: CX MPC DM
Just got off a LH, EWR-HKG, on a 359 J class a few days ago. I've taken this route many times now as well as the 77H to/from JFK. Overall, I still prefer the 773, G or H configuration. It just feels wider to me, even without the storage space cover. This flight the arm rest that goes up and down was wobbly. It still worked, but every time I put my arm on there, it was shifting. My last flight on the 359, the seat was misaligned. Every time going from to/from recline was an adventure to coerce the seat to move. Never had any of these problems on a 773 and aren't these planes at least 10 years older than the 359. The seat cushioning seems about the same on both but the whole space, side table and seat seems wider and more spacious on the 773. Also, the J class lavatories are very small. On the 773 they seem bigger and there's always that extra large lav in the cabin.

The benefits of the 359 over the 773 seem to be the IFE, quieter cabin and increased pressurization leading to a more humid cabin. Other than that, I still prefer the 773 and really miss the 77G to/from EWR.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:36 pm

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sscywong
Just flew A359, got op-up from Y (G seat) to PEY (F seat)… I really can't say it's comfortable... It's as "wide" as the Y seat on A333, and without a pillow I really can't seat comfortably in the new 359 PEY....

But really like the storage spaces it has
​​​​​​
Just got off a PE longhaul SFO-HKG. Going off of memory, I swear the older style PE seats on the 777 have just a bit more padding that makes it that much more comfortable to sleep on. On the outbound, I got stuck with a window seat in PE which I wouldn't recommend because 1) the curvature of the A359 actually doesn't give you that much more room and 2) airflow doesn't seem to be great along the window seats. It felt a lot more cramped than I expected it be.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:13 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by triplefives
​​​​​​
Just got off a PE longhaul SFO-HKG. Going off of memory, I swear the older style PE seats on the 777 have just a bit more padding that makes it that much more comfortable to sleep on. On the outbound, I got stuck with a window seat in PE which I wouldn't recommend because 1) the curvature of the A359 actually doesn't give you that much more room and 2) airflow doesn't seem to be great along the window seats. It felt a lot more cramped than I expected it be.
I do agree 359 PEY reclines so insanely that it is inconvenient for others to move around (mostly middle/window seats). However, I consider 359 PEY seat an improvements to 77W due to the extra width.

The problems you described usually do not apply to aisle seats, so I would still recommend it. I took a window seat last year on 77W LH, was not a good experience neither.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:02 am
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
Today I received in my mail a copy of "on the horizon" from MPC giving PR gibberish on their recent improvement...it says "Of the 48 new A350s joining the fleet, 28 are A350-900s and 20 are A350-1000s. The design concept of our A350-900s has been so well received since its 2016 introduction that it will be carried over to the larger A350-1000s that began taking delivery in June 2018".
(emphasis mine)

Huh??? Do I live in parallel universe?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by royng
Today I received in my mail a copy of "on the horizon" from MPC giving PR gibberish on their recent improvement...it says "Of the 48 new A350s joining the fleet, 28 are A350-900s and 20 are A350-1000s. The design concept of our A350-900s has been so well received since its 2016 introduction that it will be carried over to the larger A350-1000s that began taking delivery in June 2018".
(emphasis mine)

Huh??? Do I live in parallel universe?
Does look realistic to me. The A350 is a well appreciated upgrade compared to the A330, despite Airbus being very hesitating on this plastic design. Airlines kept pushing and the result is considered very positive.

If you do refer to the technical J-seat and toilet issues and the small galleys for CX, that does not imply, the whole concept is off.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
whilst i remain highly critical of Cathay Pathetic in many aspect i do credit their superb quality of 350s. ok so 11D/G sucks but hey move on and look at bigger picture. overall modern technology and seating (albeit poor workmanship) is cabin enviornment is pretty darn good across all classes.

they could have improved toilet-count on their a351.

but in a nutshell i feel ripped off that price for 10abrest 777 is same as 350 cabins.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My first time on an A350 is my first time on a Cathay A350. We haven’t left the gate yet and a passenger is going nuts over having to sit in row 11. Can't say I blame them looking at the setup. They should have done better. If you’re paying $5k for a flight you don’t want a toilet in your face.
royng likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
So,. for PE. You take the A350 or the 777. Any opines?
Old Sep 22, 2018, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
My first time on an A350 is my first time on a Cathay A350. We haven’t left the gate yet and a passenger is going nuts over having to sit in row 11. Can't say I blame them looking at the setup. They should have done better. If you’re paying $5k for a flight you don’t want a toilet in your face.
Unless it was a last-minute swap to this flight due to IRROPS, not sure why they booked those seats in the first place? Even on a standard configuration (like the 777 2-class) you'd probably want to avoid 11DG due to proximity to the galley and increased traffic.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Unless it was a last-minute swap to this flight due to IRROPS, not sure why they booked those seats in the first place? Even on a standard configuration (like the 777 2-class) you'd probably want to avoid 11DG due to proximity to the galley and increased traffic.
You can’t really tell from the seatmap just how bad these seats are. If the doors opened towards the front of the plane, the toilets wouldn’t be as much of an issue. It’s not indicated they essentially open into your seat space
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by gpia

You can’t really tell from the seatmap just how bad these seats are. If the doors opened towards the front of the plane, the toilets wouldn’t be as much of an issue. It’s not indicated they essentially open into your seat space
Yes, but my point was selecting the first row immediately at the galley is likely to be a bad choice on any plane/airline, not just the A350 from CX. I know some people like them, but the increased foot traffic to the forward right hand galley, and the potential for noise, means I'd never select them unless there was a really good reason (like the bulkhad seats on SQ where you get a full footwell instead of a tiny cubby hole). So the passenger was either going to have a mediocre seat at best, or a bad seat, as he found out.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I think the pax might not have booked that seat in advance by choice. If I remember correctly it has been mentioned that those 2 seats are assigned last in the cabin meaning they will only be used when the flight is quite full. But yea whenever it's used the pax sitting there will have worse experience than the rest pretty much for sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.