Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2016, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Eagle2000
This thread is for specific A350 discussion.

For discussion regarding the A350-1000 please discuss here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1909549-a350-1000-general-discussion.html

Seating Guide
A350 Seating Guide

Routes to be serviced by A350:
Cathay Pacific full fleet and route guide (search for 35G for A350): Cathay Pacific Fleet, Route and Configuration Guide
Useful thread: New route speculation for Cathay

Already operating or confirmed (date of commencement)
Amsterdam
Auckland
Barcelona
Brisbane
Brussels
Capetown
Christchurch
Dublin
Frankfurt (March 31, 2019)
London Gatwick
Madrid
Manchester
Melbourne
Newark
Paris
Perth
Rome
San Francisco
Seattle (March 31, 2019)
Toronto (Su,W,F Oct 31 2019)
Tel Aviv
Vancouver
Washington DC
Zurich (March 31, 2019)
​​​​​​

Existing routes, speculated future equipment change to A350
Chicago
Milan
Los Angeles

Speculated future routes
Print Wikipost

A350 general discussion

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by QRC3288
....they won't recoup those costs.

Although, the B787 has also been a financial disaster to-date for Boeing, despite the plane's success. There stands a good chance that plane will also be unprofitable when all is said and done (break-even will be somewhere between 1200-1500 deliveries (!!!!), and really depends on what happens with the B787-10). The problem was massive over-promise by Boeing on tech that wasn't ready, and subsequently massive delays. Boeing management spent a decade doing a public victory lap for the B777 vs A380 win (and a win it was) - I've sat front row to some of these boasts / self-back patting in mid-2000s - but it quietly let Airbus go into crisis mode and develop a super plane in the A350. Airbus was humbled by the fateful decision of the A380 and to their credit, they developed a helluva platform in the A350, without all the bragging of Boeing - and huge financial hole Boeing dug for itself with the B787 - about winning the "twins vs quads" VLA argument. While Boeing was busy back-slapping themselves they really screwed up the beginning of the B787 program, and at the same time (perhaps not really discussed here, but quite real) essentially lost the narrowbody aircraft battle to Airbus. Airbus' A320neo and A321 platform have just crushed Boeing lately, with something like 2/3 of narrows order in favor of Airbus. This segment isn't necessarily talked about here because only KA has narrowbodies, but Boeing really blew it here. Tip my cap to Airbus.

Anyyway, keeping this ostensibly about the A350..the biggest different in the A350 vs B787 is going to profitability. The former is going to be a financial home-run. The latter is going to be lucky to break even, despite both planes' operating success. And our beloved CX is damn lucky to have the delivery slots they do for the A359.
And what surprised a lot of people, even Airbus, is that the A330 still has a lot of orders.
What also surprised the industry is how fast the A350 became operational with little hiccups (except for an equipment company, namely Zodiac)
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:48 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Marco Polo, Skywards, Etihad Guest, IHG, Aeroplan
I had the pleasure to fly on B-LRR again last Sunday. She seems to be sent to CGK very often lately particularly Saturdays and Sundays.

Anyway, this time i sat on 15A. Lo and behold, recline function was broken (recline function stop half way) so you could only be in lounge position but not sleeping. Arm rest also failed to pop up.

Pointed it out to SP and SP said that to his best knowledge B-LRR is next to be sent to hangar for immediate fix. Not sure what he meant by 'next to be sent to hangar' (how soon is next) but I really hope CX and Zodiac are really fixing this once and for all.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by rienhart87
Anyway, this time i sat on 15A. Lo and behold, recline function was broken (recline function stop half way) so you could only be in lounge position but not sleeping. Arm rest also failed to pop up.
Had the same issues last week on a 350, but in 16K. Arm rest wouldn't come up by itself, but could be extracted manually by pulling hard. Recline would stop half way and then go back as if the mechanism was hitting some sort of safety stop. Some gymnastics helped - the seat would go down all the way with only half a buttcheek in the seat

Edit, thanks FR24: It was B-LRI
Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by gpia
Had the same issues last week on a 350, but in 16K. Arm rest wouldn't come up by itself, but could be extracted manually by pulling hard. Recline would stop half way and then go back as if the mechanism was hitting some sort of safety stop. Some gymnastics helped - the seat would go down all the way with only half a buttcheek in the seat

Edit, thanks FR24: It was B-LRI
I think the problem is about the seat itself... Have experienced the reclining problems with 359, 77W, and 333, luckily there was empty seat for me to sleep. Hope they will be fixed soon
Old Oct 12, 2017, 4:37 am

Hello there, I was wondering if someone might assist.

My wife and I are planning to travel LON - HKG - AKL on the A350 in business. We will be accompanied by a 6m old toddler sitting on lap.

Couple of questions:

- which seats would you recommend?
- BA provides carrycots for the bassinets on a first come first served basis. Does Cathay provide carrycots or is the bassinet a cot.
- does anyone know which toilets in business (if any) have the changing table so we might sit near there in case of a nappy explosion.

Many thanks.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:36 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Marco Polo, Skywards, Etihad Guest, IHG, Aeroplan
the bassinet seats are 12A and 12K so i think you and your wife could reserve 12A and 12 D or 12G and 12K. I have not seen how the bassinet is set up in the business class cabin but in premium economy and economy, it's basically a fold-down table attached on the bulkhead. As far as I know, Cathay does provide the cot. So the FA will lower down the bassinet table and then place the cot. After that, it will be strapped for safety.

Perhaps other more experienced flyers can share more or correct me?
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by mspfan100
Hello there, I was wondering if someone might assist.

My wife and I are planning to travel LON - HKG - AKL on the A350 in business. We will be accompanied by a 6m old toddler sitting on lap.

Couple of questions:

- which seats would you recommend?
- BA provides carrycots for the bassinets on a first come first served basis. Does Cathay provide carrycots or is the bassinet a cot.
- does anyone know which toilets in business (if any) have the changing table so we might sit near there in case of a nappy explosion.

Many thanks.
I am not sure what you mean by carrycot...but CX's look similar to what BA provides, at least from what I can see on google.

As mentioned, 12A and 12K are the bassinet seats. CX will provide you with a separate cot that is kind of mounted onto the empty space in front of the seat. That is why I personally choose the combination 12A+11D or 12K+11G. Due to the cabin layout, the seats are not exactly aligned anyhow but at least this way, you'll have one side of the entire "front" of the cabin to yourselves.

I *believe* the changing table is in the 12A bathroom as 12K bathroom has a window. Would be happy to confirm this next week, if no one else can in the meantime. Then again, you would only need to cross the (spacious) galley to either side, no big deal at all.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 5:53 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
illustrious start to CX's A350 expansion to the USA and Australia.

All first flights for 35G today:
*CX890 to EWR, scheduled for 6pm, is just leaving now 90+ minutes late.
*CX892 to SFO, scheduled for 6:45pm, hasn't left yet (60+ minutes late and counting).
*CX135 to MEL, scheduled for 7:05pm, is 60 minutes late and counting.

No weather issues or anything, entirely CX-specific.

I am always amazed when issues like this emerge. Obviously the first time in a new rotation and a ton of spare frames, you think you'd be able to get it right? 35G has been flying around Asia in spades short-haul waiting for these long-haul routes to launch today.

(PER went out on time in the afternoon.)

Last edited by QRC3288; Oct 29, 2017 at 6:06 am Reason: MEL too
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
illustrious start to CX's A350 expansion to the USA and Australia.

All first flights for 35G today:
*CX890 to EWR, scheduled for 6pm, is just leaving now 90+ minutes late.
*CX892 to SFO, scheduled for 6:45pm, hasn't left yet (60+ minutes late and counting).
*CX135 to MEL, scheduled for 7:05pm, is 60 minutes late and counting.

No weather issues or anything, entirely CX-specific.
Well, you know what they say, start as you mean to continue...

Looks like CX135 got out about 50 minutes late, which is not that bad. Delays are occasional on HKG-MEL, usually due to late arrival of incoming aircraft. Don't think it has anything to do with whether its an A350 or A330. Also looks like the Monday night flight was right on time!
Old Oct 31, 2017, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Hi all, would appreciate some advice.

I'm looking to take my first ever A350 flight (on any airline) and was looking at the CX flight out of BKK to HKG.

I am booking though Avios and have the choice of PE or J. The difference is about 3000 avios.

I have been on CX's business many times, and would rather have the 'experience' of what the A350 has to offer rather than get on and snooze.

Would you recommend PE or J? I thought PE would give me the opportunity to try the new seats and even to walk through the plane on my way to the WCs etc.

Thoughts? Or is biz class so good that I should try that?
For BKK-HKG, after the meal service you still have around 40-50 minutes to walk through or take a nap.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by CX30616
For BKK-HKG, after the meal service you still have around 40-50 minutes to walk through or take a nap.
Thanks.

Ended up going for PE, although a couple days after booking the aircraft was changed and scored a free upgrade to biz class. But now TG has introduced their A350s to MEL so will get to try it then.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:07 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Why is there no B-LRH?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by boybi
Why is there no B-LRH?
B-LRH and B-LRW are already registered as biz jets.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:19 pm

Anyone know what happened to LRF? It's flying around with a big panel of some sort taped to its nose.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:23 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Per a local forum, it seems that CX was a bit optimistic on the plane hitting EWR. Seems like there was a recent 899 that flew back with an empty belly (all bags offloaded)!

(feeling happy about anything that hints at lesser chance of ORD getting 350...hehehe)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.