Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worst case of DYKWIA...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2015, 6:44 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by taipeiflyer
Nor did I want until the last minute- I requested a buggy 15 mins before the gate was supposed to close. We waited 10 mins for one when they said it would be 1 minute. I enquired a second time during that period and was still told to wait. Had they simply been upfront about the buggy arrival, I had plenty of time to walk to the gate. Just as easily as you can use the butterfly effect to cast all blame on me, it can just as easily be flipped. My issues with CX were not with respect to missing the flight- it was with respect to how they handled everything afterwards.
Whatever may have happened there can be no excuse for the language you used or the way you spoke to the CX employee. I'm sorry but whilst I have a degree of sympathy for you given you say you were allegedly assaulted much of that sympathy is diluted by the fact that you chose to then make a verbal assault on a blameless member of staff.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 6:47 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
Originally Posted by sebastiansw3
Whatever may have happened there can be no excuse for the language you used or the way you spoke to the CX employee. I'm sorry but whilst I had a degree of sympathy for you given you say you were allegedly assaulted much of that sympathy is diluted by the fact that you chose to then make a verbal assault on a blameless member of staff.
My direction to fix it was for them to contact the police as I had requested. I asked multiple times. Only when I did get upset did they choose to call the police. Prior to that the gentleman told me to "just sit down and not make a big scene." That is not blameless- that is a dereliction of duty. Only by getting upset did they decide to contact the police as I had requested respecfully multiple times prior.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 6:55 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
My direction to fix it was for them to contact the police as I had requested. I asked multiple times. Only when I did get upset did they choose to call the police. Prior to that the gentleman told me to "just sit down and not make a big scene." That is not blameless- that is a dereliction of duty. Only by getting upset did they decide to contact the police as I had requested respecfully multiple times prior.
It is still no excuse to display that type of language and behavior. If the CX lounge staff will not call the police, then go find them yourself.

I understand it is frustrating, and scary (to be assaulted) but that does not excuse your actions.

BTW if you are willing, will you share your nationality to settle the disagreement?
Old Nov 14, 2015, 6:58 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
It is still no excuse to display that type of language and behavior. If the CX lounge staff will not call the police, then go find them yourself.

I understand it is frustrating, and scary (to be assaulted) but that does not excuse your actions.

BTW if you are willing, will you share your nationality to settle the disagreement?
I am American, my friend is Australian. And I did apologize to the Cathay staff after the police arrived, and they apologized to me. I have had a very good relationship with them on multiple occasions since.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 7:09 am

If you actually pay attention to the video, you will see that my friend is seated, and he is calm (as was I), prior to the other passenger grabbing me by the throat. I was conversing in a respectful manner with the agent up until the point she walked away, pretending like nothing happened when it occurred right in front of her.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 7:19 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Nor did I want until the last minute- I requested a buggy 15 mins before the gate was supposed to close. We waited 10 mins for one when they said it would be 1 minute. I enquired a second time during that period and was still told to wait. Had they simply been upfront about the buggy arrival, I had plenty of time to walk to the gate. Just as easily as you can use the butterfly effect to cast all blame on me, it can just as easily be flipped. My issues with CX were not with respect to missing the flight- it was with respect to how they handled everything afterwards.
That's way too late. You need to aim for 20 minutes to gate before departure in HKG, with an absolute limit of 10 minutes. Anything later results in offloading.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
That's way too late. You need to aim for 20 minutes to gate before departure in HKG, with an absolute limit of 10 minutes. Anything later results in offloading.
With all due respect, I have traveled through HKG 80+ times and will usually arrive at the gate 10 mins before the gate closes- had never been an issue until that time. We requested a buggy more than 20 mins before departure. We requested it 15 mins before the GATE was to close, not 15 mins before departure.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 7:42 am

Sorry I'm not used to the concept of gate close in HK despite living here. How many minutes prior to departure was gate close?
Old Nov 14, 2015, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
Sorry I'm not used to the concept of gate close in HK despite living here. How many minutes prior to departure was gate close?
hi percy- 10 mins. we requested the buggy 25 mins prior to departure. also, whoever posted this, posted it about a year after it actually occurred. this happened in jan 2014.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 8:05 am

Alright fine.

So

25 mins before departure you request a buggy
15 mins you decide to abandon the buggy and walk

Even if your gate is 1-30 (which is roughly your 5 minute walking time from wing) you would've been below the time you're in the absolute right (see iamhappy's quotation of e-ticket 20 minutes http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...l#post25349403 )

10 minutes is practice. 20 minutes is what's stated on Eticket (also what they've stated on CX and KA gate map attachments til relatively recently) - that's why I asked you to define gate close - cos your gate close is what I too use as an absolute minimum but it's not policy.

Last edited by percysmith; Nov 14, 2015 at 8:11 am
Old Nov 14, 2015, 8:09 am

To taipeiflyer: Sorry, but YOU cut things too close. You got lucky that you were rebooked for free in that case - it was simply YOU (and your friend) being too late.

Next time (and generally for the future), I would suggest at least 15min more time to leave the lounge beforehand. ie, when the walking time is 5min, leaving the lounge 30min before departure, not 15min.. and never ever trust on a "buggy ride", unless it's a clear benefit that's part of the service contract and guaranteed.

On the other hand, guess most people had such experience in one way or another. Be happy you didn't got charged anything for it.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
With all due respect, I have traveled through HKG 80+ times and will usually arrive at the gate 10 mins before the gate closes- had never been an issue until that time. We requested a buggy more than 20 mins before departure. We requested it 15 mins before the GATE was to close, not 15 mins before departure.
Sorry... Gate closure is NEVER 10 minutes before SDT (scheduled departure time)...

Gate close when ALL passenger are boarded (and documentation work is done) but not a hard coded 10 minutes before departure. So if you keep arriving 10 minutes before departure, you are always the determine factor of what's the actual departure time is

To ensure on-time departure, captain has absolute power to close the door earlier than 10 minutes before departure as you think because as stated on the boarding pass, in Jan 2014, you should be at gate 20 minutes before departure else you risk denial for boarding
Old Nov 14, 2015, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
To taipeiflyer: Sorry, but YOU cut things too close. You got lucky that you were rebooked for free in that case - it was simply YOU (and your friend) being too late.

Next time (and generally for the future), I would suggest at least 15min more time to leave the lounge beforehand. ie, when the walking time is 5min, leaving the lounge 30min before departure, not 15min.. and never ever trust on a "buggy ride", unless it's a clear benefit that's part of the service contract and guaranteed.

On the other hand, guess most people had such experience in one way or another. Be happy you didn't got charged anything for it.
YuropFlyer- I don't need your flight tips- i've done this dance long enough. CX doesn't even announce flights in the lounge until 30 mins before departure. we requested a buggy 5 mins after they announced it. for me, and for CX, this is water under the bridge. we both moved past it a LONG time ago. I simply came on here to let people know the full story (not the highly edited planned parenthood video version)- not to get into an argument with anyone. as i said, form your own conclusions. safe travels.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by sscywong
Sorry... Gate closure is NEVER 10 minutes before SDT (scheduled departure time)...

Gate close when ALL passenger are boarded (and documentation work is done) but not a hard coded 10 minutes before departure. So if you keep arriving 10 minutes before departure, you are always the determine factor of what's the actual departure time is

To ensure on-time departure, captain has absolute power to close the door earlier than 10 minutes before departure as you think because as stated on the boarding pass, in Jan 2014, you should be at gate 20 minutes before departure else you risk denial for boarding
SSCYWONG- read my comment again- i said i always arrive 10 minutes BEFORE GATE CLOSURE (which is usually 10 mins before departure)- therefore I am always there 20 MINS BEFORE DEPARTURE.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Accor Silver, AC 75K
Why are we still arguing about boarding time. It says what it says on the boarding pass and if things happen then things happen. The situation has been dealt with, the person still travels with CX and still gets to the plane on time. If he was promised a buggy then he was relying on what the lounge agent was telling him. Since the buggie never showed, he missed his flight; CX had every right to close the gate but the OP just relied on what the lounge agent was telling them.

I don’t understand why we have to berate people for their choices, if that’s what they want to do then so be it. I always show up to the gate just before it closes but I know what my risks are, if I miss my flight then I learn to deal with the consequences. Yes, the OP’s abusive verbal language is unacceptable but there’s always multiple sides to the story; he-said, she said is not a way to determine who’s right or wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.