FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Cathay Pacific Dub to HKG (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1722926-cathay-pacific-dub-hkg.html)

irish mark Nov 8, 2015 5:27 am

Cathay Pacific Dub to HKG

I know this article is two months old now but just read it

http://www.businesspost.ie/cathy-pac...-to-hong-kong/

Id be surprised but i did hear a rumour of a direct Dublin to asia flight earlier on in the year

stevie Nov 8, 2015 8:48 am

Oh please let this happen.

CX828 Nov 8, 2015 9:12 am

Interesting, and it would probably be a great route.

I know the M.E. carriers have been successful at DUB carrying pac beyond to Asia and Australia so this would certainly be a good opportunity for CX, particularly if/when Aer Lingus rejoins Oneworld and it becomes a Oneworld hub!

irish mark Nov 8, 2015 12:14 pm

long shot but it would be fantastic; i did hear of an airline potentially flying Dublin to BKK direct. I don't think it would be Thai.. Eva? HKG more likely than BKK?

FlyerTalker688786 Nov 8, 2015 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by irish mark (Post 25681797)
long shot but it would be fantastic; i did hear of an airline potentially flying Dublin to BKK direct. I don't think it would be Thai.. Eva? HKG more likely than BKK?

5th/6th freedom?

CX does have a crew base in BKK. And Dublin is longer than HKG-LHR flight they might need some additional passengers travel between DUB-BKK to make this route work? Who knows. I am just guessing.

UncleDude Nov 9, 2015 7:15 am

Even Manchester the UK's Number 2 Airport Hub does not have a direct BKK flight.

There's just too much competition from the 8 Daily flights on Arabian Airlines.

Cathay Boy Nov 9, 2015 7:55 am

Wow, Dublin, I always wanted to go there, if this happens I would definitely want to do that once.

NickB Nov 9, 2015 8:51 am

The Ireland-Asia market is too small for it to make sense as a next step for CX. I would have thought that there would plenty of other European destinations that would take priority over starting a service to DUB.

CX828 Nov 9, 2015 8:56 am

Originally Posted by NickB (Post 25685451)
The Ireland-Asia market is too small for it to make sense as a next step for CX. I would have thought that there would plenty of other European destinations that would take priority over starting a service to DUB.

Oh I think your absolutely right, the article mentions this and says that it is only early stages.

The A350s will likely be put to action to previously mentioned potential routes like CPH and TLV first before DUB.

zeltergiset Nov 9, 2015 9:11 am

Agree with others. DUB is pretty well served for indirect trips eastwards - AF, BA, AY, EK, EY, LH, SK, TK. I can't imagine there's much of a market for direct HKG on top of that.

delta154 Nov 9, 2015 12:55 pm

Even Manchester the UK's Number 2 Airport Hub does not have a direct BKK flight.

There's just too much competition from the 8 Daily flights on Arabian Airlines
But as of November next year it will have a direct route to Phuket, which is already bookable on the Thomson holidays website.

Let's not believe that multiple flights from the Middle Eastern airlines is the death knell for other flights.

Manchester wise

CX on average has loads of 90-95% since coming back and Emirates is still reporting that Hong Kong is its 3rd largest transfer route from Manchester.

Hainan are joining the party next June to Beijing, with Shanghai to follow in 2017, and, as I have just said, Thomson still sees a market for direct routes to Thailand and Mauritius, even if it is aimed at holidaymakers.

Singapore is also aiming to make Manchester direct again.

But anyway back to topic.

ctb213ctb213 Nov 10, 2015 1:05 am

I think CX will work on increasing MAN to daily and the new Gatwick flight before they start DUB.

CX828 Nov 10, 2015 2:10 am

Originally Posted by ctb213ctb213 (Post 25689801)
I think CX will work on increasing MAN to daily and the new Gatwick flight before they start DUB.

Both, developments I would like and be interested to see!

Hopefully MAN will go daily before long, but probably wait until they have enough A350s to switch from 77G to 350... unless Y class loads can be sustained on a daily 77G.

LGW is still an exciting and interesting development... is there any further news on that?

MM00LL2 Aug 17, 2018 9:53 am

I can't find if this route is a codeshare with BA? Looking at heading to AKL and hoping to accumulate a few more Avios enroute.

marcommm Aug 17, 2018 10:42 am

Originally Posted by MM00LL2 (Post 30093995)
I can't find if this route is a codeshare with BA? Looking at heading to AKL and hoping to accumulate a few more Avios enroute.

no, there is no codeshare with BA. Not even London flights have code share with BA. But as a OW partner, you can accumulate Avios in most fare class travelling on CX.