Cathay Goes "American"

Old Oct 27, 15, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold-CCR, BA Gold Lifetime, AA EXP-2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club
Cathay Goes "American"

Flew CX 807 ORD-HKG last night. Three hours before flight there were 4 seats open in First. To my surprise and the surprise of the flight attendants, Chicago filled the four First seats with upgrades.

While Marco Polo members can upgrade on points, that was not what happened in this case. Further, it was not a case of overbooking as confirmed by the Chief Purser who noted that they had 10 open seats in Business.

The flight attendants made sure that I had all of my meal choices so I was not impacted.

However, they noted that this is not how Cathay normally operates and they were writing this up for the actions taken by the Chicago ground staff.
Old Oct 27, 15, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by AlwaysOnTheRoad View Post
Flew CX 807 ORD-HKG last night. Three hours before flight there were 4 seats open in First. To my surprise and the surprise of the flight attendants, Chicago filled the four First seats with upgrades.

While Marco Polo members can upgrade on points, that was not what happened in this case. Further, it was not a case of overbooking as confirmed by the Chief Purser who noted that they had 10 open seats in Business.

The flight attendants made sure that I had all of my meal choices so I was not impacted.

However, they noted that this is not how Cathay normally operates and they were writing this up for the actions taken by the Chicago ground staff.
I am not at all surprised by this. Port Supervisor has authority to move people up at their discretion. Granted this isn't how CX normally operates, but just saying they have the power.

Also, when I was at JFK and got friendly with the supervisor, I was upgraded frequently, and sometimes I noticed Y wasn't full. So count me as a person that once enjoyed this benefit.
Old Oct 27, 15, 10:20 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Were they a group i.e. did they chat and share happily that got the upgrade in the cabin? Or looks like four strangers with no idea about the other three "lucky person"?

Before this I thought nowadays all op-ups need flight control to clear... But seems port manager retained a lot of power in seat allocation...
Old Oct 27, 15, 12:40 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
If CX starts doing this I am going to be seriously grumpy.
Old Oct 27, 15, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by sebastiansw3 View Post
To CX's credit they have been very good at op-up only when cabin's full and overbooked (overall), but like I've said, I've notice some outports the supervisors are more liberal in giving out premium seats to some frequent flyers they developed relationships with.
Old Oct 27, 15, 2:00 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | A-Club Silver | AA EXP
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy View Post
I am not at all surprised by this. Port Supervisor has authority to move people up at their discretion.
Everytime they move people up (op-up or otherwise), are they required to submit paperwork to HQ to justify their action or just paperwork to indicate it occurred? I mean I wonder what sort of control procedure CX has to prevent such power being abused?
Old Oct 27, 15, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP,LFP~3 MM; MarriottRewards, LFP; Avis 1st; Hertz Gold
Most peculiar.

Upgrades at AA (including ORD) are under AA control and the ground staff of AA is supposed to follow the upgrade rules (which are instantiated by computer, which follows only one rule I know: it looks for me and makes sure I am +1 after the last available upgrade).
Old Oct 27, 15, 3:21 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | A-Club Silver | AA EXP
Originally Posted by tomhuber2003 View Post
Most peculiar.

Upgrades at AA (including ORD) are under AA control and the ground staff of AA is supposed to follow the upgrade rules (which are instantiated by computer, which follows only one rule I know: it looks for me and makes sure I am +1 after the last available upgrade).
OP is talking about the concept of stuffing people in front even though the back is empty.

Last edited by Rivarix; Oct 27, 15 at 3:33 pm
Old Oct 27, 15, 3:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (PLT), CX MarcoPolo (GO), Aeroplan, VIPorter, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by sebastiansw3 View Post
What's the bet somewhere sometime you have been given a benefit through a connection or being friendly...

Its the way of the world. I was on a train earlier today - by being extra friendly the person in front was allowed to go sit in First class.

May not necessarily be fair, but it happens on every single airline from time to time.
Old Oct 27, 15, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold-CCR, BA Gold Lifetime, AA EXP-2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club
This appeared to be two groups of two. Very chatty initially which was concerning. Standing in aisle and talking. I hope this is not an ongoing Cathay Policy. If so, it will diminish the value of their First Class product.

On another note. CX retagged my bag to my next destination without telling me so I was standing at baggage claim only to find... no bags. I will be having a chat with a supervisor tomorrow.
Old Oct 27, 15, 3:35 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. CX Nobody
If I wanted to take a step further I would raise this to CX Compliance as possible breach of Anti-Bribery law saying ground staff acted in violation of CX policy alleging potentially to gain benefits... It gets even better if the alleged 4 pax are public official. US has strict law prohibiting business was influencing Foreign Public official... give me the flight date please.
Old Oct 27, 15, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

CX807 - ORD-HKG - 26 Oct 2016.
Old Oct 27, 15, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

Well, as long as they arent public official of the usa, all station manager needs to answer is, if said party is a cip/vip of cx under the radar. Hk officials can take upgrades without violating anything, n station manager has the power to do so
Old Oct 27, 15, 7:40 pm
Moderator: Cathay Pacific Asia Miles and Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by kaka View Post
Well, as long as they arent public official of the usa, all station manager needs to answer is, if said party is a cip/vip of cx under the radar. Hk officials can take upgrades without violating anything, n station manager has the power to do so
If a US airline is doing that to a foreign official who handles the negotiations and decisions of airline contracts, it is in violation of the FCPA. The same applies for a foreign airline if the action is on US soil. FCPA targets actions in US to foreign officials.

If CX is doing that to HK officials in general, then I am not sure. It may be acceptable under FCPA, but is up to the ICAC and the HK Secretary for Justice.
Old Oct 27, 15, 7:45 pm
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, BAEC Gold, QF Gold, Hyatt Glob
Anyway let's not discuss about anti-bribery laws and stick to the fact that potentially CX is eroding the "sanctity" of their premium cabins.

Search this Thread