Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Goes "American"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2015, 10:10 am

I have to admit, now that I'm PEY flyer sometimes when I see people upgraded into PEY from Y, at times I feel dumb for paying $3000 for a ticket when someone else just paid $1200 and got bumped-up to the same seat with the same service.

However, that's how the system works, when it's full people get op-up, and sometimes I benefit, sometimes I don't. We should be happy for each other. This idea that since I paid full price therefore the airline can't do any favors for any other human being for any reason is ridiculous.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club; Asia Miles
Am I mistaken? There's no CX Based ground staff in ORD? As in Chicago O'Hare International Airport? I am surprised....
Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by JohnGreat
Am I mistaken? There's no CX Based ground staff in ORD? As in Chicago O'Hare International Airport? I am surprised....
CX has CX ground staff at ORD.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by QRC3288
To the OP, there are a few somewhat plausible scenarios.

First, "Instant Upgrades". In the past, the PIL records Instant Upgrade passengers in a manner that crew frequently mistake for op-ups ("Instant Upgrade" are Asia Miles award upgrade passengers from cash J tickets, but processed at the airport instead of via MPC beforehand). This has long been a frustration of mine because you're treated like an op-up (which means last meal choice in F), while burning a lot of miles to sit up there...and merely because the waitlist didn't clear before departure day.

Now, four Instant Upgrades on one flight sounds extreme to me! But, just trying to rationalize this...I'm under the impression ORD F cabins are not frequently going out full of revenue pax, so perhaps the cabin was wide open and there were a lot of cash J passengers trying to upgrade? Perhaps...?

Second, Birthday or other Special Upgrades. I highly doubt it was four guys' birthday, especially since you mention they seem to all be friends, but maybe it was a birthday for one or two?

Third, some type of CX / Swire / whatever mgmt. CX is quite clubby with their mgmt and Swire folks flying premium cabins. I'm not sure how they go about ticketing those flights and perhaps they stick them in J and just tell check-in staff to upgrade them to F if space is available? Anyone know?

Fourth, a few HK govt or PRC govt officials, especially those relating to CX / airline affairs. ? Just a few thoughts?

Agree it is certainly disconcerting. Albeit, I've never really encountered something like that so I'm thinking it's an unfortunate one-off.
For various reasons, CX also hands out a lot of "one-class upgrade certificate at airport'. I have had a few of them for several valid reasons and found them very difficult to use to opup from J to F on longhaul. I have frequently had flights with several open F seats at checkin, but could not use it because others had priority as explained by the counter staff. This could have happened, and the purser has little way to know except that the pax was opped up at the gate/lounge.
All these are more likely explanations that the station manager upgrading friends or good clients while there were empty seats in J. That must be a very rare scenario even at ORD.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 1:27 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by brunos
For various reasons, CX also hands out a lot of "one-class upgrade certificate at airport'. I have had a few of them for several valid reasons and found them very difficult to use to opup from J to F on longhaul. I have frequently had flights with several open F seats at checkin, but could not use it because others had priority as explained by the counter staff. This could have happened, and the purser has little way to know except that the pax was opped up at the gate/lounge.
All these are more likely explanations that the station manager upgrading friends or good clients while there were empty seats in J. That must be a very rare scenario even at ORD.
Can those one-class upgrades be transferable or used by traveling companions? It is possible that someone from HKG may want to use them on their return trip.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Can those one-class upgrades be transferable or used by traveling companions? It is possible that someone from HKG may want to use them on their return trip.
Nope, strictly by the name written on the cert.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 6:51 am

Programs: BAEC, CXMPO, Golden Circle, HH & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by QRC3288
To the OP, there are a few somewhat plausible scenarios.

First, "Instant Upgrades". In the past, the PIL records Instant Upgrade passengers in a manner that crew frequently mistake for op-ups ("Instant Upgrade" are Asia Miles award upgrade passengers from cash J tickets, but processed at the airport instead of via MPC beforehand). This has long been a frustration of mine because you're treated like an op-up (which means last meal choice in F), while burning a lot of miles to sit up there...and merely because the waitlist didn't clear before departure day.

Now, four Instant Upgrades on one flight sounds extreme to me! But, just trying to rationalize this...I'm under the impression ORD F cabins are not frequently going out full of revenue pax, so perhaps the cabin was wide open and there were a lot of cash J passengers trying to upgrade? Perhaps...?

Second, Birthday or other Special Upgrades. I highly doubt it was four guys' birthday, especially since you mention they seem to all be friends, but maybe it was a birthday for one or two?

Third, some type of CX / Swire / whatever mgmt. CX is quite clubby with their mgmt and Swire folks flying premium cabins. I'm not sure how they go about ticketing those flights and perhaps they stick them in J and just tell check-in staff to upgrade them to F if space is available? Anyone know?

Fourth, a few HK govt or PRC govt officials, especially those relating to CX / airline affairs. ? Just a few thoughts?

Agree it is certainly disconcerting. Albeit, I've never really encountered something like that so I'm thinking it's an unfortunate one-off.
I'd think the second is more likely. As I understand it the milestone or recognition upgrades are extended to travel companions (as opposed to op ups)
Old Oct 29, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by brunos
good point i also overloooked. indeed could've been this too. i bet the staff on board have no idea and they think it's an op-up of some sort.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 7:55 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by AlwaysOnTheRoad
On another note. CX retagged my bag to my next destination without telling me so I was standing at baggage claim only to find... no bags. I will be having a chat with a supervisor tomorrow.
What was printed on your luggage tag?
Old Oct 29, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Accor Silver, AC 75K
I can confidently say without knowing exactly what went on, speculations are just speculations. Don’t forget that Cathay is owned by several companies combined, Swire group being the largest share. I remember years ago that I got bumped out of J because a Swire executive was on urgent business, how I found out about that? I overheard it over the cabin crew, but that doesn’t give me grounds to go and complain to CX for letting their own staff fly before rev passengers. Unless you have solid official evidence, I would not go and blame CX or their staff. Everything happens for a reason and CX often times has to go against protocol because those protocols don’t cover 100% of the possible situations.

I myself have received very special treatment from CX due to a variety of reasons, ones that most people would not often think about. So before pointing fingers I think its best to give the benefit of the doubt, unless you have solid evidence.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by onetoughcustomer
I'd think the second is more likely. As I understand it the milestone or recognition upgrades are extended to travel companions (as opposed to op ups)
I also think its maybe anniversary upgrades for a DM+ members and their companions. Maybe even Cargo Clan members who give lots of business to CX would warrant such a situation.

Last edited by cxfan1960; Nov 4, 2015 at 2:19 pm Reason: Remove OT sentence that led to OT discussions.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
To CX's credit they have been very good at op-up only when cabin's full and overbooked (overall), but like I've said, I've notice some outports the supervisors are more liberal in giving out premium seats to some frequent flyers they developed relationships with.
I’ve talked to HKG GA all the time and they said on outports the chances of upgrades are much higher. HKG is the stingyest, I’ve never gotten an op-up from HKG. Not even a birthday upgrade
Old Oct 29, 2015, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
AA tagged baggage to HKG. Apparently at ORD, someone retagged to DPS, as I had a connecting flight 14 hours later - next day. As noted, not told retagged so I waited at baggage claim at HKG. CX told me they were "sorry". Not that big a deal but a little frustrating after long day of travel.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 2:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AA & SPG Plat
There are many things you don't know.

She did violate confidences because she has no right sharing flight details with a pax, F class or no F class. Especially in the age of terrorism this is very irresponsible and reckless.

You do NOT know what they sold or did not sold. Unless you tabbed into CX database directly you have no confidence in knowing anything behind the scene of CX booking.

If Expertflyer is your source of info you are on very weak grounds. There are numerous times a religious check on Expertflyer shows all 9s, and when I board I was upgraded on a full-booked flight. And there are other times when it shows all 0s, and the plane is viritually deserted.

Flying a route 20+ times may give you an idea, but there are uniqueness of each particular flight on any given moment. Many other posters have already mentioned it. Some people might just want to burn miles by using Instant Upgrade. Other people might be on waitlist and approved in the last minute. It may be CX management flying. It may be government VIPs. The point is you have no idea what really happened.
Well said ^

In the past they know about op-up because the letter "I" is printed, but when CX upgraded to new database that has been taken away due to too many pax complain about bad service when cabin crew knows who are op-up pax and who are not.
Source of this?
Old Nov 1, 2015, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by wrldtrav2013
I also think its maybe anniversary upgrades for a DM+ members and their companions. Maybe even Cargo Clan members who give lots of business to CX would warrant such a situation.
They might have also specifically chosen to fly on their birthday/anniversary in the hope of the op-up. I know I might if a travel date fell close to my birthday etc.

Last edited by cxfan1960; Nov 4, 2015 at 2:20 pm Reason: Update quoted post edited by mod.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.