Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX considering [confirmed] having 10 seats per row?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2016, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SinoBritAsia
Confirmed:
SCMP, Oct 2, 2016: Hong Kong’s Cathay Pacific to introduce 10-abreast seating in its Boeing planes
SCMP, March 31, 2017: Hong Kong Cathay Pacific passengers to feel the squeeze in push for profits
SCMP, March 31, 2017: Inside Cathay Pacific's new condensed economy class

48 long-haul 777s to be retrofitted. 17 regionals (including the 5 ex-Emirates aircraft). Five of the earliest 77W long-haul fleet (all first-class) to be phased out.

New seat details
Seat legroom: 32" (no change)
Seat width: 17.2" (down 1.3")
IFE screen: 12" (up 3")
Extra personal storage
New six-way headrest (similar to A350 but not like-for-like)
Wi-Fi
Thinner seats but extra padding

Economy class retrofit from mid-2018 to 2020
10% more economy seats
19 extra Y seats to 201 in 4-class 777: for 294 passengers.
28 extra Y seats to 296 in 3-class 777: for 368 passengers.
40 extra Y seats to 396 in regional 777: for 438 passengers.
Print Wikipost

CX considering [confirmed] having 10 seats per row?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2015, 1:11 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by QRC3288
While ANA is 9 IIRC, JAL is going to 10. There are major competitors switching and it's only going one direction, unfortunately
You are wrong. JAL have retrofitted entire 777-300ER fleet with WIDER 9 abreast seats with 34 inch seat pitch in Y
Old Oct 23, 2015, 1:46 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by JALPak
You are wrong. JAL have retrofitted entire 777-300ER fleet with WIDER 9 abreast seats with 34 inch seat pitch in Y
My bad. So CX pax can switch to JAL then I guess. But the trend of 10 across is not going away I'm afraid. In the grand scheme of things, JAL is probably not going to move the needle much. With EK at 10 across, it forces a lot of airlines to consider it as long as passengers buy those seats.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 2:02 am

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
Originally Posted by QRC3288
To be fair to CX, I'm surprised it has taken them this long to even ask.

The bottom line is 67pct of the global 777 fleet is configured in 10 across in coach, when counting seats (admittedly skewed by EK). If competitors are doing it to lower average seat costs, at some point CX will feel the pressure. It's not CX forcing the hand here....it's consumers' relentless demand for cheaper seats regardless of the discomfort.

I really hope they don't, but can't fault them for at least asking. At a minimum I think CX is really missing out on a marketing opportunity by failing to stress they are now in the minority offering a somewhat "civilized" (shudder) economy experience 9 abreast on their 777s.
CX economy already looks pretty wretched to me. Can't imagine doing it with even less seat width. SQ Y cabin always appears to look so much less wretched than CX's.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by Jane's Addiction
CX economy already looks pretty wretched to me. Can't imagine doing it with even less seat width. SQ Y cabin always appears to look so much less wretched than CX's.
Completely agree. IMO, the people who do Y class 10k bis miles per year are the true "road warriors".

To me, 9 or 10 across doesnt seem to make that big of a difference in the grand scheme....hellish and hellish-er.

I have read on some of those travel blogs a lot of 787s are configured 3-3-3....that also sounds like a real joy to fly .

The fact remains, however, is that as long as pax buy the damn uncomfortable seats airlines will keep trying to pack people in as much as regulations will allow. And the airlines offering " roomier" economy like CX (9 across on 77w, or 8 across on some airlines 787) vs competitors are always going to face the potential of either giving up yield or losing customers, particularly in a period of cyclical softness (because those airlines must regain higher price points in Y due to less dense layouts). If you're an airline, this is a scary situation to be in. What happens if your competitors can offer 20pct cheaper economy tickets to the same destination as you? Maybe EK or CI require stops en route to your final destination, but if their network and seat densities help them achieve a superior cost base, if CX hasnt already taken preemptive steps it can be very painful. This competitive, capital intensive, cyclical nature - layered on top of a volatile commodity product that makes up 40pct of your costs - make for a hell of a challenge indeed. CX has plenty of faults, but trying to be premeptive about competitive seat costs isn't necessarily one in my book, given how most of the industry is trending towards 10 across 777s and CX is one of the largest 777 operators, and using the less-dense layout. It will be a lot worse if they don't stay alert in a competitive environment and have a few atrocious years. Then we would see some REAL cost cutting.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 2:45 am
Suspended

First,[Sarcasm] if you are in Flyertalk and you still fly Y, that sucks. [/Sarcasm] No, that is not my point. My point is, if you are a frequent Y flyer, maybe CX would not care too much if you are swearing never fly CX again just because the seating changes from 3-3-3 to 3-4-3. What CX cares is a mass market that people wants the cheapest fare.

Second, 3-4-3 and 3-3-3 in Y on B777 is not too bad as many have suggested here. The seat pitch remains the same and width change is unnoticeable. Some of the spaces will take from the gap between seat and window and narrow the aisle. The space between the seats will be squeezed but new design in seats actually make you feel better (see previous post for reference).

Third, As someone else mentioned on A.net, that Air Canada is achieving over 94% average on the HKG run with its 3-4-3 B777. So I am afraid for those swearing that they abandoned AC for CX, that CX will see there is no real impact on booking even if they are to switch to 3-4-3. few individual abandoned the ship but more bums chasing low fares found the heaven. I am not sure who really lost in this battle. At this moment is CX. Because the revenue missed for not going for 3-4-3 is big. Customer who chase 3-3-3 on B777 and even change their preferred carrier will loose. This is explained the fourth points.

Fourth, airline with 3-3-3 will soon realise their premium in perception. They will be able to impose a dearer fare. With fewer seats, which will be taken quicker than airlines with 3-4-3 config, those abandoned ship may find the average fares more expensive if booking within 30 days cut-off sales period.

The reality is airline business is booming at present and profit is high. If you can not squeeze more bums in cabin, you are loosing out the maximum revenue. PEY is the future for frequent Y flyers. Y will be more for the budget flyers. Brace for the change or you will be disappointed as more airlines will follow suit.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 4:15 am

chongcao, a well-reasoned argument. +1.

Still doesn't make it any better for the folks who fly Y though...just going to be rough going.

The upside is if some formerly Y fliers are willing to pay a bit more, they might be in the price point of premium economy now (I bet PEY prices continue their downward trend, and as Y gets cheaper and cheaper and perhaps denser, PEY LH fares shake out similar to CX's mid-tier Y fares of perhaps 1500-1700 USD roundtrip to North America). There is no doubting PEY is without question a superior Y class experience. In this scenario, "premium" Y class buyers who may have been willing to shell out for H, K, M, V whatever fares, if CX can provide them with reasonable PEY fares those folks will no longer will be subsidizing the true cheapo ticket buyers scouring for N and O class fares and whatnot. Everything is all kind of making sense to me now with the MPO realignment (aka, ditching predominantly Y class passengers), PEY launch, fare pricing strategies (tons of cheapo deals in Y class, alongside declining PEY rates), as well as possibly a consideration to increase 777 Y class to 10 across. I can see the logic here.

The guys who lose out are the frequent business travelers who must buy the cheapest EY fare classes due to their (horrific) corporate policies. That would just be brutal. But methinks if you were buying H, K, or maybe even V priced Y tickets before, you are going to find PEY price points coming into your budget more and more frequently, to where PEY might even become your norm. This is certainly a positive if true.

The goal of the exercise is to get people more in-line for what they're paying for and subsidize less of the passengers in the same class. So truly premium economy guys (perhaps expensive Y class buyers before) find premium economy affordable, while true coach ends up being heavily, heavily discounted, even more so than before and attracting those types of buyers.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 10:15 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by chongcao
First,[Sarcasm] if you are in Flyertalk and you still fly Y, that sucks. [/Sarcasm] No, that is not my point. My point is, if you are a frequent Y flyer, maybe CX would not care too much if you are swearing never fly CX again just because the seating changes from 3-3-3 to 3-4-3. What CX cares is a mass market that people wants the cheapest fare.
Actually nowadays many corporate travel limits 5hrs minus flights to Y only... And slave level staff like me is limited to Y no matter where I fly.... So if they give me a 3-4-3 77W, I'll definitely for sure switch carrier...

Second, 3-4-3 and 3-3-3 in Y on B777 is not too bad as many have suggested here. The seat pitch remains the same and width change is unnoticeable. Some of the spaces will take from the gap between seat and window and narrow the aisle. The space between the seats will be squeezed but new design in seats actually make you feel better (see previous post for reference).
This is more than seat width. Aisle would be narrower and aisle seat passenger will more likely get bumped / sweep by people walking down the aisle / items hold by those people (whether it's crew, or a mother trying to send a baby to sleep and his/her leg is hanging outside the mother's hand, or just a man trying to relax himself and swinging his arms...)

Third, As someone else mentioned on A.net, that Air Canada is achieving over 94% average on the HKG run with its 3-4-3 B777. So I am afraid for those swearing that they abandoned AC for CX, that CX will see there is no real impact on booking even if they are to switch to 3-4-3. few individual abandoned the ship but more bums chasing low fares found the heaven. I am not sure who really lost in this battle. At this moment is CX. Because the revenue missed for not going for 3-4-3 is big. Customer who chase 3-3-3 on B777 and even change their preferred carrier will loose. This is explained the fourth points.
Currently, there're 30/21 DEG row on a 77G/H. For simplicity let's assume one F seat can be added to every DEG row. So there will be 30/21 more seats available per flight

Also assuming nothing else change, every flight will now have 30/21 more seats + IFE system weight flying... I don't know how much more fuel will burn for these additional weight... Maybe negligible... But revenue missed for these 30/21 additional seat? If revenue is US$1K for each seat then revenue missed would be US$30K/21K per flight IF they managed to fill EVERY F seat... ...before loss of higher revenue passenger which may simply switched away to other carriers for better seat (maybe a discount J by taking a stopover flights)...

Given how "brilliant" they assess how many seats can be "oversell" I don't think they can get the projection right...

Fourth, airline with 3-3-3 will soon realise their premium in perception. They will be able to impose a dearer fare. With fewer seats, which will be taken quicker than airlines with 3-4-3 config, those abandoned ship may find the average fares more expensive if booking within 30 days cut-off sales period.

The reality is airline business is booming at present and profit is high. If you can not squeeze more bums in cabin, you are loosing out the maximum revenue. PEY is the future for frequent Y flyers. Y will be more for the budget flyers. Brace for the change or you will be disappointed as more airlines will follow suit.
Can't agree... You are assuming that Y cabin loading are 100% which in reality not too common actually... Maximum revenue is achieved by tier pricing i.e. price discrimination

Business frequent flyers usually don't have much say in what class (s)he can choose... That's per company's travel policy... But usually there will be more than 1 airline to choose from... So I can't fly Y doesn't mean I can fly PEY even PEY might be cheaper (think Y v.s. R)... But at least I can choose other carriers with other flights

e.g. To LHR if I avoided CX 77W I can fly whatever airline's A380...
Old Oct 23, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sscywong
But I can foresee that CX may push something out like regional Y with 3-4-3 on a 773... (Fortunately 333 can't have 3-3-3 right?)
I believe Cebu Pacific "offers" 3-3-3 in their...well, 333s

It's not off the table, although one would hope that CX would not go there. KA on the other hand?
Old Oct 23, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: CX-DM, BA-GGL, Marriott-TI, HHonors-DM
Originally Posted by Jane's Addiction
SQ Y seats are wider than CX Y.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by scnzzz
I believe Cebu Pacific "offers" 3-3-3 in their...well, 333s

It's not off the table, although one would hope that CX would not go there. KA on the other hand?
Air Asia X is 3-3-3 in Y on their A330s.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:44 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Marco Polo, Skywards, Etihad Guest, IHG, Aeroplan
having done some of CX's longest flights (HKG-YVR, HKG-YYZ and HKG-JFK), i truly hope that CX will not change its economy class cabin layout to 3-4-3. It strikes me how comfortable 3-3-3 layout is for both passengers and flight attendants. I don't get bump by meal cart, two passengers can easily pass each other on the aisle during flight, i don't get bump by other passengers luggage and bags during boarding, and it's just the general feeling of how much less cramped the cabin feels.

I've done KLM's, AC's, and EK"s 3-4-3 layout too so I can feel the difference. But just like any other posters have pointed out in this thread, sadly if the numbers work out in favour to reduce cost per mile, CX will jump to 3-4-3 in a heart beat. And for many people who are based in HK, they will still fly CX regardless of the seat layout just out of practicality.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 8:37 pm

The true scenario is out and not in Flyertalks members favorite. The airline industry has figured out the two categorical travelers that they should target: premium F/J cabin flyers and discount-seeking back of the cabin flyers. The former is a quick way to make high margin profits, the latter off-sets costs and increases revenue. The third category - savvy fliers here that are willing to pay extra for better Y experiences? Guess airlines figured out we are not high enough in number to keep.

Urgh, time to seriously consider JAL as alternate (AA 10 abreast with no PEY option turns me off)
Old Oct 23, 2015, 8:49 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
Is it possible that this survey is directed towards the 777-9 fleet ? With it's wider cabin it can easily handle 10 abreast. However let's say that CX is testing the waters for it's 77W fleet, although it's not a move I would support I would completely understand. Frequent flyers such as us would be annoyed & bothered however the average traveller wouldn't notice the difference or even know that they switched. So to CX corporate it wouldn't be too much of a controversial move.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
The true scenario is out and not in Flyertalks members favorite. The airline industry has figured out the two categorical travelers that they should target: premium F/J cabin flyers and discount-seeking back of the cabin flyers. The former is a quick way to make high margin profits, the latter off-sets costs and increases revenue. The third category - savvy fliers here that are willing to pay extra for better Y experiences? Guess airlines figured out we are not high enough in number to keep.
Indeed, sadly. I'm simply too broadly built (I could afford to lose a few lbs/kgs but it won't make my shoulders any less wide!) to want to do 3-4-3 on a 777, I'd just as soon not go.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 12:02 am

I remember a few years ago we are discussing will CX go the route of discount airlines, and some here screamed CX will be too proud and luxurious of an airline to do that. Guess not. CX has figured out it can and still give an illusion of a 5-star airlines image (for Y cabin).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.