Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Can I combine 2 separate ticket redemption to a round trip?

Can I combine 2 separate ticket redemption to a round trip?

Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:36 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by QRC3288
great points. Screw them.

I'll book J down, waitlist for the return, and if it doesn't clear take SQ J back to spite them. It's BS that CX has a few tickets for I-class fare available on the flight I want (especially since both PEY and Y class are wide open) and they won't release it.

Although one thing I'll add: CX is telling me there is a 4 day cutoff for the waitlist?? Is this correct?
Yes - your waitlist will expire and you can only get a redemption by periodically checking in those 4 days.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by sxc
Yes - your waitlist will expire and you can only get a redemption by periodically checking in those 4 days.
alright, if it doesn't clear 30 minutes before the deadline, then I'll just call them and ask them if they can release one of those I fare tickets to redemption. And tell them if they can't release an I fare ticket, despite most of the plane being entirely wide open, I'm booking SQ return in J. I'll send them the receipt this time. I feel like what christep says is right.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:51 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
sxc correct about the 4 day cutoff because I get given it quite a lot of the time also.

I feel the agent is correct about not being able to refund J+PY - probably return J only.

christep correct about waiting for J after departure. Example: my YVR trip 10-21/11/16
- originally only PE available. The missus has objections
- HKG-YVR J became available around 14/10. I was set 5/11 deadline because YVR-HKG not available.
- 21/11 YVR-HKG J still not available 5/11. I ticketed HKG-YVR J and continued to waitlist 21/11 YVR-HKG J.
- YVR-HKG J cleared 14/11 (already in Canada) and ticketed against same PNR
- 70,000x2 - 120,000 r/t difference refunded in HKG

I've also done another variant where I ticketed PE and then reissued first outbound then inbound one sector at a time then claimed refund difference <-- can't help it given Patricia is releasing seats more tightly than my office espresso maker.

Oh one thing speaking of Singapore - not sure if anyone else here's noticed CX had a bit of an unintentional open back door on availability yesterday - lots of previously waitlisted flights cleared and I was able to grab previously unavailable December wedding weekend (another great use of redemptions) flights to Singapore. The window closed in the afternoon. Not that everything was available tho e.g. my 19/2 BKK-HKG CNY is still N/A. Anyone else noticed the ~6 hours of additional availability yesterday?

P.S. @QRC3288 - regional J over cradle Y for Singapore redeye? I rather the cradle (I just came back from CX524/KA397)

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 5, 2017 at 1:51 am
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:53 pm

I got a kind of a similar question:

HKG-YYZ (2 person in PEY) all on one booking

All legs cleared = 108,000 miles each

Will they allow me to do this?
Person A - redeem round trip (108k)
Person A - redeem 1 way for person B (HKG-YYZ) (66k)
Person B - redeem 1 way (YYZ-HKG) (66k)

Is that possible? Or will they force me to redeem the whole round trip booking in one go for both people?

Thanks
Old Sep 4, 2017, 11:13 pm

Sure
Separate them into two PNRs
One pax can redeem one-by-one
Old Sep 5, 2017, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
Sure
Will they allow me separate them into 2 PNR's if they are currently on one booking?

Both legs are confirmed for both people inside the booking and there is no availability if i search for availability on a new booking?

Thanks
Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by twonga
Will they allow me separate them into 2 PNR's if they are currently on one booking?
Sure
But they will force you to ticket if both legs cleared
You can split the booking of two into two PNR, ticket one return and ticket one one-way (waitlist J/F?)
Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:23 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Sure
you can redeem person by person but still have the reservations linked up. (same PNR or not i forgot. prob not. but linked.)
Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by kaka
you can redeem person by person but still have the reservations linked up. (same PNR or not i forgot. prob not. but linked.)
OIC what Twonga's trying to achieve (trying to fund 1.5 redemptions out of Account A and 0.5 redemptions out of Account B)

No, don't think that's possible. AM is asinine about source of miles (you can't even have Account B fund a full redemption for Account A via redemption list and then have Account A fund his own reissue by miles - I tried HUACAing about this from Kyoto with a Baidu.jp phone card).
Old Sep 5, 2017, 2:14 am

update

Perhaps CX could read my mind? I was actually on the internet pricing out an SQ ticket and the waitlist came through.

End of story my J class waitlist got cleared without incident, or even a follow-up phone call. Thanks.

And btw...holy COW you can find cheap Scott "business" (in reality, more like premium economy) tickets, for like 300-400 SGD each way?!?! I was looking on Google Flights and this came up as the hands down cheapest biz fare. Of course, at closer examination this doesn't appear to really be business class but still, even for premium economy it's about 1/2 the price of CX and SQ. The timing wasn't going to happen (6am departure, no thanks), but I was pretty shocked to see that price.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288
And btw...holy COW you can find cheap Scott "business" (in reality, more like premium economy) tickets, for like 300-400 SGD each way?!?! I was looking on Google Flights and this came up as the hands down cheapest biz fare.
The risk of having Scoot operationally cancel on you and refund you in funny money https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/othe...l#post25649164 (refund law does not refund in legal tender in Singapore)
Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:35 am

Yikes. Okay I'm never flying that airline.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:57 am

Hi All, Sorry to be so unclear. I will try to explain again with more details

My Account has 174,000 miles
Wifes Account has 66,000 miles

I waitlisted for a round trip from HKG-YYZ for me & wife (she is in my redemption group) which requires 108,000 miles each.
Both legs has just cleared and are waiting to be ticketed.

Can i redeem 108,000 miles from my account for my round trip award
and redeem 66,000 miles from my account(for my wife) one way award (HKG-YYZ)

then redeem one way award (66,000 miles) from my wifes account (YYZ-HKG)

In short, i want to redeem 1 round trip using my account and then redeem a one way ticket for the wife. Then the wife can redeem the other one way herself using her account. (whole booking is all on one booking)

Thanks a lot again!
Old Sep 5, 2017, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by twonga
redeem 66,000 miles from my account(for my wife) one way award (HKG-YYZ) then redeem one way award (66,000 miles) from my wifes account (YYZ-HKG)
Asked for you, yes can be done (I simplified the scenario by asking HKG-SYD-HKG return, husband is pax and redeems HKG-SYD, husband in wife's redemption list and redeems SYD-HKG off wife --> OK, but cannot claim 2xone-way - r/t difference after trip).
Old Sep 5, 2017, 4:27 am

Asked for you, yes can be done (I simplified the scenario by asking HKG-SYD-HKG return, husband is pax and redeems HKG-SYD, husband in wife's redemption list and redeems SYD-HKG off wife --> OK, but cannot claim 2xone-way - r/t difference after trip).
Thanks a lot!! Very helpful as usual. Was going to call myself but wanted to be sure first!

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.