Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Related threads:

What are the best value segments under the new system?

Switching out of Marco Polo: What do you choose and why?

FAQs as answered by AgencyGuy:

When will the mid-tier benefits be awarded?
They will be awarded as the member hits the mid-tier milestone. Not at the end of the membership year. These will be valid for a year commencing the day they are granted. No points are deduced when members are awarded these benefits.

Does that mean a member reaching 1800 tier points will get all three mid-tier benefits?
Yes, each benefit will be made available as the member hits the 1400, 1600 and 1800 point milestones

What mid-tier benefits will be awarded as of the conversion date of 15 April 2016?
The mid-tier benefits will kick in automatically after 15th April, if your converted club points balance exceeds the mid-tier thresholds. So for a Diamond tier member, if your converted balance is 1800 points you will immediately have access to two first class lounge guest passes, four bookable upgrades and one companion Gold card.

A Gold member on his/her way to Diamond pick up four short/medium upgrades along the way, but a renewing Diamond gets nothing?
You are correct, Silver, Gold or Diamond members on their way to renewal, don’t get additional benefits until they reach the mid-tier thresholds. But they will get there, I guess the benefits are designed to recognize members who go the extra mile after they have passed their renewal thresholds.

Is there any requirement on the underlying booking sub-classes when using a mid-tier upgrade "coupon"?
Yes, the original flight needs to be booked in an “upgradable” sub-class, the same sub-classes that qualify for Asia Miles upgrades

Is economy upgraded to Premium Economy or business for flights with Premium Economy?
It is always a one class upgrade so Economy to Premium Economy, if a flight does not have Premium Economy then the upgrade is to Business.

Are the sub-classes for the upgraded bookings A, I, and E (if applicable)?
I don’t know what these subclasses are yet other than that they will be revenue instead of redemption sub-classes. I guess they will be announced later.

What miles will be awarded for a flight upgraded using a upgrade coupon? The original ticket class, or the upgraded class?
I understand that both points and miles will be credited based on the upgraded class.

Green Re-Qualification
For Green members, if their membership year ends before 15 April 2016, like now, their membership will automatically be renewed. If their membership ends after 15 April and they have ANY club points at that time, they will be automatically renewed for another year (even if they are below 100 pts). If their membership ends after 15 April and they have no club points at that time, they will lose their Green membership or have the option of paying the US$100 fee to renew.
Print Wikipost

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2016, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by phol
On the European routes i don't think i've ever seen a spare seat.
I can't comment on European and Australian routes, but from what I'm told about the US routes, the times PEY are full are the times Y cabin are oversold.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 7:27 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Six long haul PEY flights in January.
Two opups
Three with one or two empty seats om PEY cabin
One PEY cabin half full (Ex LAX 1125 departure)

The issue I have with PEY is that the pricing is very location sensitive. The premium exUSA is actually fairly reasonable. exHKG or exAustralia - ridiculous. But then in the last two cases, it would seem that all air fare pricing is out of proportion with many other locations. Whatever the market will purchase?

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Apr 8, 2016, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
Two opups

The issue I have with PEY is that the pricing is very location sensitive. The premium exUSA is actually fairly reasonable. exHKG or exAustralia - ridiculous. But then in the last two cases, it would seem that all air fare pricing is out of proportion with many other locations. Whatever the market will purchase?

Happy wandering

Fred
The fact that you had 2 op-ups, and knowing LAX, tells me it's Y oversold rather than PEY being sold. Even before PEY the port LAX is known as op-up heaven. The two times I flew there (before PEY) I was op-up both times. I asked the local manager and he told me at some nights there can be as many as 20-30 oversolds that he has to clear.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:09 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
I remember that the consensus here used to be most MPC elites tend not to fly W, but last time I flew a NA long haul in W, >50% of the cabin were elites. Maybe everyone's chancing an op up, so CX has incentivised more rev here? (For me I fly W for the 1.5EQMs, but the occasional op up is a treat too). Nevertheless, SLs/RUs got no special treatment on that flight but DM/EM/SA/GOs got goodies.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:39 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Six long haul PEY flights in January
....my heavens, that sounds horrible! 6 LH flights alone in a single month is painful, but to have to do it in a chair for 4/6 of them is absolutely brutal. This is the real "Road Warriors".
Old Apr 9, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
I can't comment on European and Australian routes, but from what I'm told about the US routes, the times PEY are full are the times Y cabin are oversold.
For LHR, I need to get it using guaranteed seating and end up it's completely full (J was completely full as well) (exLHR, as my exHKG flight was the 2pm one which is less full)

For MEL and SYD, both were something like R1 or 2 and E0 at departure
Old Apr 10, 2016, 2:51 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
One thing that the changes has caused me to do is to look at alternatives to CX. I am now finding premium fare alternatives on other one world carriers that are only slightly more than CXs economy fares. Or J class fares that are much cheaper than CX. So aside from the losses CX will suffer due to having to buy miles on other programs when I fly with CX, they lose when I don't even book with them.

Previously I would blindly choose CX.

It will be interesting if CX comes out ahead after the program changes are in place. If CX benefits - good on them and they have been successful. But there's a chance CX won't commercially benefit.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 3:00 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by gpia
Very much so. At first I thought it was going to reward long haul premium class travel. But HKG-JFK in C/I takes exactly 3 rt's for GO, both under the old new and old systems. So no change, okay.

My standard route is HKG-DUS in PEY.

This previously took 4.77 round trips per year for GO in any fare class - and now 5.45 in W/R and 6.66 in E.

I know PEY isn't considered Premium, but the thing is: They sell HKG-DUS in PEY for both ~14K ("Premium Economy Standard") and ~18K ("Premium Economy Flex"). Both are sold as E class.

They sold ex-DUS for 2.230 HKD in November in Economy. Now that's discounted travel alright. But someone paying 18K for PEY is hit by a 30% "devaluation"?

I am one of those who really gets screwed by the new system
I don't understand CX valuation of premium economy for club points. Other programs reward premium economy with 200% (QF) to 400% (BA) compared to their mid range discount economy fares. CX rewards you with 20-30%.

BA has been said to say their premium economy cabins are their most profitable cabin. Maybe CX is bleeding money on Y+....in which case the should rip out those cabins.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 3:02 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
The fact that you had 2 op-ups, and knowing LAX, tells me it's Y oversold rather than PEY being sold. Even before PEY the port LAX is known as op-up heaven. The two times I flew there (before PEY) I was op-up both times. I asked the local manager and he told me at some nights there can be as many as 20-30 oversolds that he has to clear.
exLAX was the half empty cabin (consider the 1125 departure time)
One Opup was anticipated as both PEY and Y appeared oversold as I got closer to departure. The other was when a nice lady came and said I have the same seat assignment and the cabin attendants went back to the gate and came with an amended BP for me.

The issue with the 6 long hauls is that I have been and will be grounded for 4 months due to surgery. And the incremental cost of flying exJNB was minimal (even when comparing exCMB). The last three (LAX-HKG-JNB-HKG) were consecutive and no OPups. I recall a LONE4 in an earlier life (in 12 days) when the AU$ was low(er). Such is life now as I can sleep in PEY and I enjoyed the mini stay in JNB/GBE on the way out. And I re-qualified Gold before 16 April.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Apr 11, 2016, 11:13 pm

Programs: MPC -> QFF
Originally Posted by sxc
One thing that the changes has caused me to do is to look at alternatives to CX. I am now finding premium fare alternatives on other one world carriers that are only slightly more than CXs economy fares. Or J class fares that are much cheaper than CX. So aside from the losses CX will suffer due to having to buy miles on other programs when I fly with CX, they lose when I don't even book with them.

Previously I would blindly choose CX.

It will be interesting if CX comes out ahead after the program changes are in place. If CX benefits - good on them and they have been successful. But there's a chance CX won't commercially benefit.
Same here. Last year, I paid more to fly CX on planned trips and took several extra mileage runs to make GO. Also paid 50-80% more for V fares even when lower fares were available.

This year, I shifted my short holiday trips to discount carriers (Jetstar to Osaka, HKAirline to Bali) for substantial cost savings; redeemed a J award to YYZ and nested an ex-YYZ PEY trip back to HK. This will kick me down to SL while I evaluate my options for the following year.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 1:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by fluffydot
Same here. Last year, I paid more to fly CX on planned trips and took several extra mileage runs to make GO. Also paid 50-80% more for V fares even when lower fares were available.

This year, I shifted my short holiday trips to discount carriers (Jetstar to Osaka, HKAirline to Bali) for substantial cost savings; redeemed a J award to YYZ and nested an ex-YYZ PEY trip back to HK. This will kick me down to SL while I evaluate my options for the following year.
Exactly the same boat here.

Since they nerfed the seat guarantee benefit, there basically is no value to being GO over SL apart from higher op-up priority and guesting family into the lounge. I wish they would address why they took this benefit away in an intellectually honest manner. I get that they may be leaving revenue on the table when a slew of GO's book V class on sold out flights during the main holiday periods, but they get some of that back when we forsake sale fares for the V minimum. In all the media releases and explanations out there in the latest discovery magazine, CX never really talks about this.

Status matched my GO to Star Alliance and other Oneworld Sapphire equivalents so I can continue get whatever benefits I can when flying on CX but will drop to SL after April.

Taken to flying J on HK Airlines and QF to Aus.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by JeCCo

Since they nerfed the seat guarantee benefit, there basically is no value to being GO over SL apart from higher op-up priority and guesting family into the lounge. I wish they would address why they took this benefit away in an intellectually honest manner.
Like every other airlines in the world, cut costs and calling it "Enhancements"

I get that they may be leaving revenue on the table when a slew of GO's book V class on sold out flights during the main holiday periods, but they get some of that back when we forsake sale fares for the V minimum.
They are gambling you are so thrilled by flying CX only that you will fork over L, M fares to keep flying with them.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Pre-15th flights posting on/after the 15th..

Was there a definitive reply to what earn rates apply to flights, say on the 14th, that post 2-3 days later?

Just curious- I'm in the middle of a rather long no-fly period, almost a month.

While the MPC's always been based on 'posting date', the earning grid does read:
"The club points shown below are earnings per flight, and apply to all bookings for flight departing from 15 April 2016."

Otherwise today/tomorrow might be the last dates for the 'old' earn rates..bye bye V, you've served me well!
Old Apr 12, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I'm actually hoping a lot of my flights post on the new rates. More points!
Old Apr 12, 2016, 7:28 pm

Two opups

Happy wandering

Fred
exHKG fares have always been much higher, so if the system had actually counted a dollar figure per point or mile instead of fare classes, it would benefit us, or any exHKGer, a lot more.

Food for thought.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.