Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Related threads:

What are the best value segments under the new system?

Switching out of Marco Polo: What do you choose and why?

FAQs as answered by AgencyGuy:

When will the mid-tier benefits be awarded?
They will be awarded as the member hits the mid-tier milestone. Not at the end of the membership year. These will be valid for a year commencing the day they are granted. No points are deduced when members are awarded these benefits.

Does that mean a member reaching 1800 tier points will get all three mid-tier benefits?
Yes, each benefit will be made available as the member hits the 1400, 1600 and 1800 point milestones

What mid-tier benefits will be awarded as of the conversion date of 15 April 2016?
The mid-tier benefits will kick in automatically after 15th April, if your converted club points balance exceeds the mid-tier thresholds. So for a Diamond tier member, if your converted balance is 1800 points you will immediately have access to two first class lounge guest passes, four bookable upgrades and one companion Gold card.

A Gold member on his/her way to Diamond pick up four short/medium upgrades along the way, but a renewing Diamond gets nothing?
You are correct, Silver, Gold or Diamond members on their way to renewal, don’t get additional benefits until they reach the mid-tier thresholds. But they will get there, I guess the benefits are designed to recognize members who go the extra mile after they have passed their renewal thresholds.

Is there any requirement on the underlying booking sub-classes when using a mid-tier upgrade "coupon"?
Yes, the original flight needs to be booked in an “upgradable” sub-class, the same sub-classes that qualify for Asia Miles upgrades

Is economy upgraded to Premium Economy or business for flights with Premium Economy?
It is always a one class upgrade so Economy to Premium Economy, if a flight does not have Premium Economy then the upgrade is to Business.

Are the sub-classes for the upgraded bookings A, I, and E (if applicable)?
I don’t know what these subclasses are yet other than that they will be revenue instead of redemption sub-classes. I guess they will be announced later.

What miles will be awarded for a flight upgraded using a upgrade coupon? The original ticket class, or the upgraded class?
I understand that both points and miles will be credited based on the upgraded class.

Green Re-Qualification
For Green members, if their membership year ends before 15 April 2016, like now, their membership will automatically be renewed. If their membership ends after 15 April and they have ANY club points at that time, they will be automatically renewed for another year (even if they are below 100 pts). If their membership ends after 15 April and they have no club points at that time, they will lose their Green membership or have the option of paying the US$100 fee to renew.
Print Wikipost

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2016, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Unless they all started unifying their fare system, AA and CX letters don't always agree.
I don't really get what you don't get, but it already show all the fare subclass that earn points on AA. If its not on the list you get no points.

Why the attachment to AA V fares? Even CX S,N,Q earn points now except O
Old Apr 5, 2016, 6:31 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Unless they all started unifying their fare system, AA and CX letters don't always agree.
Here's the screencap on the CX website about AA flights

Basically Y, B, H, K, M, L, W, V, G, S, N, Q, O, X, C on AA earn you club points.

Most information are available online...all you need to do is look for it.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 10:40 am

Wow, so CX is telling people to fly AA and their cheap fares because they earn as much as their more expensive V fares (for those that has no hope of making Gold or Diamond).

We'll see in a year or two how much lower-fare business CX loses from this new policy. CI made the same mistake many years ago when they won't count Y-fares towards the top two elite tiers' qualifications, as a result they lost 25% of their business (ironically most to CX), and they had to rolled it back that Y-fares will count towards elite tiers.

CX is different, it will still count but just much slower and you needed to fly much more, we'll see.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 3:26 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I have a done almost no analysis, but I have found staying with CX is the best deal for me. Since I earn just about any fare I get on AA and I can still earn on most fares from CX (albeit, not very good on cheaper fares now). I considered going AA, but that would require H or above on CX, though the upgrades would be nice on AA (I would already be EXP by now though if I had for it in January this year). But then again I don't feel like spending that $450 or whatever they charge for lounge access.

And with the spreads on that chart for AA, I'm finding myself booking non-non-stop flights now and holding the tickets for retrocredit later. Before the transition I'm looking at say 8000 miles, whereas after, I'm looking at 100 pts. Doesn't look like much, but that difference is basically what I would earn on a Y ticket of the same routing!
Old Apr 7, 2016, 9:19 am

This new system favorites short-premium flying. For me the typical patter is PEY long-haul, I fare short-haul. In the past it's the long-haul that earns most miles, and I-fare short-haul doesn't do much in the grand scheme of things. But now:

PEY round trip - 100 points
I fare round trip to Chinese city I - 30 points
I fare round trip to Chinese city II - 30 points
Total: 160 points.

8 trips = 1280 points

In a way, if I keep my travel pattern, I will still get DM.

So really, yes long-haul got screwed, but since I'm doing more premium cabin short-haul flying, it works out at the end.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
This new system favorites short-premium flying.

So really, yes long-haul got screwed, but since I'm doing more premium cabin short-haul flying, it works out at the end.
Yes... Not until recently I found that it's actually short haul premium flyer gets the most benefit...

Say I / J fare for HKG-JFK
Old system: 10,074 miles = 100 points
New system: 100 points / 120 points
So 20% gain for J fare, zero gain for I fare

But take I / J fare for HKG-PEK
Old system: 1.25 sector OR 1,546 miles = 20 / 15 points
New system: 25 points / 30 points
So assume it's a sector based member, it's a 25% / 50% gain for I / J fare...

So the number of DM may actually grow instead of drop as CX wished...

And off topic a bit: Actually this may be cause even more problems for ex-HKG PEK and PVG routes to CX since CX only sells full fare J ex-HKG and CX has 1 day guarantee seating for J for DM... (KA doesn't have guarantee J so should has less such headache)
Old Apr 7, 2016, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by sscywong
Yes... Not until recently I found that it's actually short haul premium flyer gets the most benefit...
Yes, I figured that out, and like you said, ironically I think you are right, the number of DMs will significantly increase for those that travels a bunch of short-hauls, despite the fact long-haul DMs will decrease, but they are far fewer in numbers.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 4:54 pm

Which benefit reduction is the true slap to the face of loyal flyers?

It is not your personal favorite (like the money-saving V-fare guaranteed), but which benefit reduction is a real slap on the face to the loyal flyers?

Personally I think it's the one that used to allow you, as DM, to use any CX J lounge even when you fly another airline. This benefit truly is a good will benefit that communicates: "We really appreciate our DMs, please enjoy our lounges whenever you fly"
Old Apr 7, 2016, 5:32 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
It is not your personal favorite (like the money-saving V-fare guaranteed), but which benefit reduction is a real slap on the face to the loyal flyers?

Personally I think it's the one that used to allow you, as DM, to use any CX J lounge even when you fly another airline. This benefit truly is a good will benefit that communicates: "We really appreciate our DMs, please enjoy our lounges whenever you fly"
Still V-fare guarantee, and also C-fare guarantee. CX J lounge access for non-OW flights is not too important. I only used it once, and that was because I forgot I had other lounges I could use.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 10:16 pm

So really, yes long-haul got screwed
Very much so. At first I thought it was going to reward long haul premium class travel. But HKG-JFK in C/I takes exactly 3 rt's for GO, both under the old new and old systems. So no change, okay.

My standard route is HKG-DUS in PEY.

This previously took 4.77 round trips per year for GO in any fare class - and now 5.45 in W/R and 6.66 in E.

I know PEY isn't considered Premium, but the thing is: They sell HKG-DUS in PEY for both ~14K ("Premium Economy Standard") and ~18K ("Premium Economy Flex"). Both are sold as E class.

They sold ex-DUS for 2.230 HKD in November in Economy. Now that's discounted travel alright. But someone paying 18K for PEY is hit by a 30% "devaluation"?

I am one of those who really gets screwed by the new system
Old Apr 8, 2016, 12:21 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
so CX is telling people to fly AA and their cheap fares because they earn as much as their more expensive V fares
Yes because they think we will pay more to see Grace than her AA counterpart. I'm not so sure.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 2:03 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by percysmith
Yes because they think we will pay more to see Grace than her AA counterpart. I'm not so sure.
In fact that's what the bulk of CX's most profitable ex-HKG captives (the irony here..) think...isn't it?
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by gpia

They sold ex-DUS for 2.230 HKD in November in Economy. Now that's discounted travel alright. But someone paying 18K for PEY is hit by a 30% "devaluation"?

I am one of those who really gets screwed by the new system
I really believe CX sees PEY cabin as an "addition by subtraction" to prevent people from upgrading from Y to J too easily (op-up, mileage upgrades). So they are willing to take the often empty cabin (except huge Y op-up days) to ensure people pay more to get into J (buy PEY ticket then mileage upgrade into J, uses much more miles for straight-J redemption).

So far most of the times I flew PEY (EWR-HKG-EWR) the cabin is never more than 1/3 full, last trip there are literally just 5 people in the cabin.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
So far most of the times I flew PEY (EWR-HKG-EWR) the cabin is never more than 1/3 full, last trip there are literally just 5 people in the cabin.
But so far seems PEY to SYD / MEL / LHR are filling (sell or what I don't know) quite well per my personal experience.....
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:13 am

I really believe CX sees PEY cabin as an "addition by subtraction" to prevent people from upgrading from Y to J too easily (op-up, mileage upgrades). So they are willing to take the often empty cabin (except huge Y op-up days) to ensure people pay more to get into J (buy PEY ticket then mileage upgrade into J, uses much more miles for straight-J redemption).

On the European routes i don't think i've ever seen a spare seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.