Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Related threads:

What are the best value segments under the new system?

Switching out of Marco Polo: What do you choose and why?

FAQs as answered by AgencyGuy:

When will the mid-tier benefits be awarded?
They will be awarded as the member hits the mid-tier milestone. Not at the end of the membership year. These will be valid for a year commencing the day they are granted. No points are deduced when members are awarded these benefits.

Does that mean a member reaching 1800 tier points will get all three mid-tier benefits?
Yes, each benefit will be made available as the member hits the 1400, 1600 and 1800 point milestones

What mid-tier benefits will be awarded as of the conversion date of 15 April 2016?
The mid-tier benefits will kick in automatically after 15th April, if your converted club points balance exceeds the mid-tier thresholds. So for a Diamond tier member, if your converted balance is 1800 points you will immediately have access to two first class lounge guest passes, four bookable upgrades and one companion Gold card.

A Gold member on his/her way to Diamond pick up four short/medium upgrades along the way, but a renewing Diamond gets nothing?
You are correct, Silver, Gold or Diamond members on their way to renewal, dont get additional benefits until they reach the mid-tier thresholds. But they will get there, I guess the benefits are designed to recognize members who go the extra mile after they have passed their renewal thresholds.

Is there any requirement on the underlying booking sub-classes when using a mid-tier upgrade "coupon"?
Yes, the original flight needs to be booked in an upgradable sub-class, the same sub-classes that qualify for Asia Miles upgrades

Is economy upgraded to Premium Economy or business for flights with Premium Economy?
It is always a one class upgrade so Economy to Premium Economy, if a flight does not have Premium Economy then the upgrade is to Business.

Are the sub-classes for the upgraded bookings A, I, and E (if applicable)?
I dont know what these subclasses are yet other than that they will be revenue instead of redemption sub-classes. I guess they will be announced later.

What miles will be awarded for a flight upgraded using a upgrade coupon? The original ticket class, or the upgraded class?
I understand that both points and miles will be credited based on the upgraded class.

Green Re-Qualification
For Green members, if their membership year ends before 15 April 2016, like now, their membership will automatically be renewed. If their membership ends after 15 April and they have ANY club points at that time, they will be automatically renewed for another year (even if they are below 100 pts). If their membership ends after 15 April and they have no club points at that time, they will lose their Green membership or have the option of paying the US$100 fee to renew.
Print Wikipost

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Old May 9, 2016, 7:36 pm

christep, Lifetime Miles are for CX / KA and Oneworld flights, but since the introduction of points crediting are without any class bonus.

Best Regards
Old May 9, 2016, 8:00 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by AgencyGuy
christep, Lifetime Miles are for CX / KA and Oneworld flights, but since the introduction of points crediting are without any class bonus.

Best Regards
Wow. I wonder if non-MPC people are tracked of their lifetime miles (with CX/KA) too
Old May 9, 2016, 8:04 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Wow. I wonder if non-MPC people are tracked of their lifetime miles (with CX/KA) too
This is the purpose of the "Flyer Account" that you can setup now. Not sure how popular it is.
Old May 9, 2016, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by AgencyGuy
Hi CX HK

The Lifetime Miles are the miles flown since you joined. Since the cutover to the new club points crediting approach, these will be the actual miles flown without any class bonus. Theyve kept it in as they know its something people like to track and it gives a feel for how far they have flow with the club over the years.

Best Regards
Thanks - so this will be miles flown, not Asia Miles, right? Since Asia Miles are sometimes less than (even 0!) the actual miles flown due to fare class.
Old May 14, 2016, 1:45 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by sxc
This is the purpose of the "Flyer Account" that you can setup now. Not sure how popular it is.
Just got off the phone with a customer rep about this. She said it's irrelevant (for tracking non-CX elites) and everyone at IT doesn't know what this is for yet...
Old May 14, 2016, 6:41 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Just got off the phone with a customer rep about this. She said it's irrelevant (for tracking non-CX elites) and everyone at IT doesn't know what this is for yet...
I doubt call centre staff are going to know about their CRM efforts. Have a look at page 4 of this:

http://downloads.cathaypacific.com/c.../index.htm#/4/
Old May 14, 2016, 6:56 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sxc
I doubt call centre staff are going to know about their CRM efforts. Have a look at page 4 of this:

http://downloads.cathaypacific.com/c.../index.htm#/4/
Wow, interesting, thanks for sharing this. I actually called in to try adding existing bookings to my 'registered account', but I was told this isn't available yet. Then I pulled a half-dykwia and asked if it'd affect revenue tracking for non-CX elites. The rep said that has nothing to do with this registered account thing and would depend on name and DOB and not this feature......

Long story short, I wasn't able to add my existing (plethora of) reservations to the registered account and was told not to bother anymore

PS i called HK IT assistance, if that makes a difference
Old May 16, 2016, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by sxc
I signed up early on but have never used it. It's problem seems to be that its for CX's benefit only, it adds little value to the passenger.
Old May 17, 2016, 7:03 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
I must apologise but I'm the dykwia GR that's holding up the J boarding queue.

Did a search on this thread but nothing came up,
was wondering if anyone actually got kicked out of MPC? As in losing their GR status under the new program?

Haven't flown with CX recently since competitors have better rates,
will change my next flight to CX if that allows me to keep annoying elites at the check-in counter.
Old May 17, 2016, 7:27 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

I think we are going to have to wait a year before we hear of stories of Greens being kicked out. There was a post somewhere up thread that said CX was allowing people to renew as long as they had some club points (not zero), and this was a one-off waiver.
Green Re-Qualification
For Green members, if their membership year ends before 15 April 2016, like now, their membership will automatically be renewed. If their membership ends after 15 April and they have ANY club points at that time, they will be automatically renewed for another year (even if they are below 100 pts). If their membership ends after 15 April and they have no club points at that time, they will lose their Green membership or have the option of paying the US$100 fee to renew.
Old May 17, 2016, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
I think we are going to have to wait a year before we hear of stories of Greens being kicked out.
Yep, maybe I'm about to become the first one? I didn't fly with CX at all this year. My membership year ends May 2016. Their email made it quite clear I need something to retain GR.

If someone can confirm I will get kicked out, I can do a short-haul to generate activity. Wondering if kicked out of MPC means kicked out of Insights too..

Originally Posted by sxc
For Green members, if their membership year ends before 15 April 2016, like now, their membership will automatically be renewed.
Membership Details (01 Jun 2015 - 31 May 2016)

I've been unlucky my whole life.. guess this adds to the list.
Old May 17, 2016, 7:58 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by miloworld

If someone can confirm I will get kicked out, I can do a short-haul to generate activity. Wondering if kicked out of MPC means kicked out of Insights too..
Is there really any benefit to being a green member for you if you don't actually fly CX? I wouldn't be spending what seems like at least $1k to get benefits like priority boarding when you haven't flown CX for a long time.
Old May 17, 2016, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
Is there really any benefit to being a green member for you if you don't actually fly CX? I wouldn't be spending what seems like at least $1k to get benefits like priority boarding when you haven't flown CX for a long time.

While other airlines has been fun for regional flights. I still rely on CX for long-haul. Would be a shame to loose the basic membership with an airline I grew up with.

Guess CX does not see the relationship the same way as I do.

Other than that, I'd hate to be kicked out of Insights..
Old May 18, 2016, 3:39 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by miloworld
Yep, maybe I'm about to become the first one? I didn't fly with CX at all this year. My membership year ends May 2016. Their email made it quite clear I need something to retain GR.

Membership Details (01 Jun 2015 - 31 May 2016)

I've been unlucky my whole life.. guess this adds to the list.
No my mum beat you to it. She got booted on 30 Apr 2016. After a million club miles and twenty years in MPO...
Old May 18, 2016, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
No my mum beat you to it. She got booted on 30 Apr 2016. After a million club miles and twenty years in MPO...
Guess I will be needing that flight then.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.