Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Related threads:

What are the best value segments under the new system?

Switching out of Marco Polo: What do you choose and why?

FAQs as answered by AgencyGuy:

When will the mid-tier benefits be awarded?
They will be awarded as the member hits the mid-tier milestone. Not at the end of the membership year. These will be valid for a year commencing the day they are granted. No points are deduced when members are awarded these benefits.

Does that mean a member reaching 1800 tier points will get all three mid-tier benefits?
Yes, each benefit will be made available as the member hits the 1400, 1600 and 1800 point milestones

What mid-tier benefits will be awarded as of the conversion date of 15 April 2016?
The mid-tier benefits will kick in automatically after 15th April, if your converted club points balance exceeds the mid-tier thresholds. So for a Diamond tier member, if your converted balance is 1800 points you will immediately have access to two first class lounge guest passes, four bookable upgrades and one companion Gold card.

A Gold member on his/her way to Diamond pick up four short/medium upgrades along the way, but a renewing Diamond gets nothing?
You are correct, Silver, Gold or Diamond members on their way to renewal, dont get additional benefits until they reach the mid-tier thresholds. But they will get there, I guess the benefits are designed to recognize members who go the extra mile after they have passed their renewal thresholds.

Is there any requirement on the underlying booking sub-classes when using a mid-tier upgrade "coupon"?
Yes, the original flight needs to be booked in an upgradable sub-class, the same sub-classes that qualify for Asia Miles upgrades

Is economy upgraded to Premium Economy or business for flights with Premium Economy?
It is always a one class upgrade so Economy to Premium Economy, if a flight does not have Premium Economy then the upgrade is to Business.

Are the sub-classes for the upgraded bookings A, I, and E (if applicable)?
I dont know what these subclasses are yet other than that they will be revenue instead of redemption sub-classes. I guess they will be announced later.

What miles will be awarded for a flight upgraded using a upgrade coupon? The original ticket class, or the upgraded class?
I understand that both points and miles will be credited based on the upgraded class.

Green Re-Qualification
For Green members, if their membership year ends before 15 April 2016, like now, their membership will automatically be renewed. If their membership ends after 15 April and they have ANY club points at that time, they will be automatically renewed for another year (even if they are below 100 pts). If their membership ends after 15 April and they have no club points at that time, they will lose their Green membership or have the option of paying the US$100 fee to renew.
Print Wikipost

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:03 am

It seems that it's a lot easier to gain club points if you fly AA for ultra long flight after new rules. Just 1 RT of biz or first class, can earn 200+ pts. If this calculator stay true, ppl will just fly AA instead of CX.

Edit: looks like I was wrong. Only benefit for those who take cheapest fare class for ultra long flight

AA lowest class vs CX lowest class fare == 40 club pts each way (AA) vs 10 pts (CX)

Last edited by flyertalk2015; Sep 30, 2015 at 12:09 am
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:05 am

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Hmm, does anyone know if this is it or can we expect more changes in the near future?

Maybe I misunderstood the whole discussion about changes to reflect members’ revenue contribution, bla bla bla but I was under the impression that the changes are supposed to improve a J/F passenger earning not just for TP purposes but also for redemption purposes and yet as it is made clear above, the miles you earn (for redemption purposes) stay the same.

So a CX DM flying J will still earn 125% miles. How is this an improvement? I still have to figure out the value of those 4 SWU-like coupons but with no changes on AM earning/redemption rules, I think a J/F passenger is still better off flying other OW airlines (generally speaking their J fares are cheaper than CX to/from US), credit to AA (who currently has better earning/redemption ratio) and only fly CX using those miles and not cash because there are no changes to CX AM earning/redemption - they are as poor as before. Am I missing something here?

Btw, did anyone do a pro-forma calculation of their prior-years earning to see how they come out under the new rules vs. old rules? I just did mine for the past two years and ... there were no changes. I came in the 130k range under the old rules vs. 1300TP range under the new rules. The additional TP I get from flying CX J is offset by reduction of TP I get from flying AA domestic flights. So it's all about nothing for me on the miles front - Club and AM. Oh well.

Last edited by Rivarix; Sep 30, 2015 at 12:33 am
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:17 am

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by sscywong
After requalify last month, I have 25,7xx miles and 9.3 sectors now.

Based on 120,000 miles => 1200 points // 80 sectors => 1200 points conversion, I should have 257 points or 140 points. So? The system shows I have 260 points....

I was expecting the system to calculate my actual points based on my previous travel pattern......
It calculates your TP as of today using the new rules. Yes, it would be nice if it can calculate your previous travel pattern (under the new rules) so you can easily tell whether you come out ahead (presumably that's what you're trying to figure out?)

For that you have to do it manually yourself (I just did mine in excel ...).
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:20 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
So I suppose for a DM with significant J/F travel:
* At 1200 TP, he/she will requalify DM.
* At 1400 TP, he/she will get two J/F lounge passes.
* At 1600 TP, he/she will get four bookable upgrades, but get to keep the two J/F lounge passes.
* At 1800 TP, he/she can nominate a GO member, plus keeping the four bookable upgrades and two J/F lounge passes.

Is that correct? If not, he/she may as well use the lounge passes before getting to 1600 TP so CX won't take them away, and use the upgrades before nominating a GO friend.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:28 am

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:31 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by Rivarix
It calculates your TP as of today using the new rules. Yes, it would be nice if it can calculate your previous travel pattern (under the new rules) so you can easily tell whether you come out ahead (presumably that's what you're trying to figure out?)

For that you have to do it manually yourself (I just did mine in excel ...).
So it would be conversion as at today + counting points under the new system onwards till 15 Apr?

For me, worse off. No need to use excel...

Since renewal in mid-Aug...

One LHR RT in W: 55 points x 2 v. 65.8 points x 2 // 15.5 points x 2
One SYD RT in E: 35 points x 2 v. 50.5 points x 2 // 15.5 points x 2
Three PEK / PVG RT in Y: 15 points x 2 v. (not important) // 15 points x 2

So slum class flyer will find it more difficult to reach premium member tier, while premium class flyer will find it easier (despite that W / Y fare may still be higher than I sometimes)
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
So I suppose for a DM with significant J/F travel:
* At 1200 TP, he/she will requalify DM.
* At 1600 TP, he/she will get four bookable upgrades, but get to keep the two J/F lounge passes.
* At 1800 TP, he/she can nominate a GO member, plus keeping the four bookable upgrades and two J/F lounge passes.

Is that correct? If not, he/she may as well use the lounge passes before getting to 1600 TP so CX won't take them away, and use the upgrades before nominating a GO friend.
So every RT JFK J flight will earn you something more... Until reaching 1800 TP

Last edited by sscywong; Sep 30, 2015 at 12:33 am Reason: Typo
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AA & SPG Plat
Those DM's doing 10 North America r/t in Y will most likely be dropped down to mid-tier GO's.

Maybe the F lounge won't be as crowded anymore
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:38 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by cxfan1960

Any idea if the lounge passes are one-offs, or like annual passes which can be reused? I dont quite understand this incentive....I already have lounge access and so do my guests! CX must really think us DMs abuse the lounge when flyinf on other carriers, is that the logic? Or maybe CX is planning to strongly enforce the lounge guest limits going forward? Ie, no extra guests? (They seem to be pretty lenient). Methinks it is not DMs abusing this as much as others, for the simple logic that DMs can bring in two guests...more than anyone else. And as for me using the CX lounges when flying on other carriers, CX is just badly mistaken here...or I just don't represent the average DM. But when I fly SQ I actually have used the SQ lounge, for no other reason than it's a novelty for me. And I can't use the Wing or Pier F anyway when flying on another airline (recent trip on Bangkok Airways comes to mind)...so I frequently avoid, for that last trip I just hung out in the concourse instead of fighting the morning madness in Wing J or Cabin. So this isn't going to really change my behavior.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Any idea if the lounge passes are one-offs, or like annual passes which can be reused?
99% sure they are one-off's.
Your guests aren't always (and in my case, rarely) travelling together with you on the same day, at the same airport. Eg. your wife?children?grandparents? traveling HKG-JFK next week on a cheap fanfare while you're in LHR? Then you can give them one of your 2 lounge pass for them to use at Pier F. Downside is it has to be members on your redemption list. There's only so many you can list....

Guess that's to stop people from selling their F/J lounge passes on the web like QF/AC.

Last edited by Daffie; Sep 30, 2015 at 12:52 am
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by Daffie
Your guests aren't always (and in my case, rarely) travelling together with you on the same day, at the same airport. Eg. your wife?children?grandparents? traveling HKG-JFK next week on a cheap fanfare? Then you can give them one of your 2 lounge pass for them to use at Pier F. Downside is it has to be members on your redemption list. There's only so many you can list....

Guess that's to stop people from selling their F/J lounge passes on the web like QF/AC.
But the 1800 TP GO card is "of your choice"...

So likely GO will still be that much........
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:56 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Daffie
Your guests aren't always (and in my case, rarely) travelling together with you on the same day, at the same airport. Eg. your wife?children?grandparents? traveling HKG-JFK next week on a cheap fanfare while you're in LHR? Then you can give them one of your 2 lounge pass for them to use at Pier F. Downside is it has to be members on your redemption list. There's only so many you can list....

My daughters can potentially use them if I ever get one, but they have been using their Priority Pass cards anyway. Lounge pass is one of the least useful benefits.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:57 am

Programs: CX DM
For Gold, we get 4 bookable upgrades at 1000 points.
For Diamond, we get 4 bookable upgrades at 1600 points.

For members like me who only fly J, it seems to be better just keeping Gold as I can get 4 upgrades every year. If I am a DM, it's much harder to get those upgrades. Since I fly only J, the benefits of DM over GL is minimal. I could care less about F lounge access.

Am I missing something here? Are those upgrades supposed to be the same for GL and DM?
Old Sep 30, 2015, 1:00 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by LchChester
Do you need to be in a particular fare class before you can upgrade with the vochure?
good question. seems like we don't know yet. it would be shame if it was highly restricted, and possibly neuter the benefit.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 1:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by leungti1
For Gold, we get 4 bookable upgrades at 1000 points.
For Diamond, we get 4 bookable upgrades at 1600 points.

For members like me who only fly J, it seems to be better just keeping Gold as I can get 4 upgrades every year. If I am a DM, it's much harder to get those upgrades. Since I fly only J, the benefits of DM over GL is minimal. I could care less about F lounge access.

Am I missing something here? Are those upgrades supposed to be the same for GL and DM?
DM can use it on long hauls, GO short + mid hauls only.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.