Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

"Please shut the blinds on your way out" (rumour)

"Please shut the blinds on your way out" (rumour)

Old Aug 31, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by kaka
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

Well, aside from our comments, i think if most ppl enter a cool cabin w blinds shut, they might slowly adjust to shutting them in a year or 2. Its just a matter of courtesy vs selfishness/"individual egoistic rights".
Indeed ... first there's the uproar and then it will die down and before we know it, it's becomes just another announcement (unless it creates negative perception in the asian markets which may cause CX to drop it).

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Airlines can always ask pax to do something for them, but don't make it out to be an order or something the pax owed the company.
It is supposed to start 1/9 so we shall see how CX makes the announcement but I wouldn't be surprised if CX will try to appeal to one's sense of duty (for the benefit of the collective) ... that's usually the best way to get someone to do what you want them to do. Should be interesting to hear they make the announcement in 3 languages.

Maybe they'll add a touch of 'We apologize for inconvenience caused' at the end of the announcement.

Last edited by Rivarix; Aug 31, 2015 at 4:02 pm
Old Aug 31, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by percysmith
Reported on CX Secrets also https://www.facebook.com/cxsecret/posts/893494547395453 - not favourably
Not surprised. When one party is perceived to try to shift the boundary of duties, it is bound to cause the other party to push back even if it is, as everyone mentioned above, just an announcement/request and not mandatory/requirement. It's the perception.

Curious though - do you know if HKE makes the same announcement? It would be interesting if they don't. If they're smart, they should poke fun at CX on this. It could make a great ad in the local market.

I wonder if CX will make the same announcement on the new A359 next year. I presume CX A359 mechanical shades will come with electronic button so FA can do this with a push of a button for all windows (like a master button)? Then again, one could also say is it too much to ask passenger to push a button before they disembark? This argument will never ends ...

Last edited by Rivarix; Aug 31, 2015 at 4:07 pm
Old Aug 31, 2015, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Rivarix
I wonder if CX will make the same announcement on the new A359 next year. I presume CX A359 mechanical shades will come with electronic button so FA can do this with a push of a button for all windows (like a master button)? Then again, one could also say is it too much to ask passenger to push a button before they disembark? This argument will never ends ...
You mean, the cleaning crew should push the button, right?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by SJOGuy
AA does this regularly at its DFW hub during the summer. It's a beastly hot place.
Originally Posted by krlcomm
Nice to see at least a couple of reasonable people responding on this thread... unbelievable to me that anyone would take issue with simply being asked to close the window shade as they exit so that temperature inside the aircraft doesn't skyrocket while it's sitting on the ground in 100+ temps (115+ in places like PHX and LAS during summer months!). Because everyone knows that it's a terrible imposition to be asked to do something so awful and difficult as you exit the plane...
Since you two mentioned AA, I'm curious how it works on AA B788.
1) B788 has electronic shades so presumably FA could do this at a push of a button for the entire plane. Does AA make the same announcement on its B788?
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:23 am

During the first two weeks of Sep, I did hear the ISMs announcing for the passengers to close the window shades before they deplaned. Heard this on both CX and KA flights. I noticed that not too many passengers paid attention at all, and indeed, most of the shades remained open.

During the last half of Sep, I have taken another 4-5 flights, but I no longer heard the ISMs making the request to close the shades. Guess this request didn't work too well.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by CX828
Surely if its a turnaround flight, the plane is not on ground long enough for this to make a difference, and if its a long-haul turnaround the cleaners could do it after cleaning each row?
You've clearly never had the misfortune to be onboard a plane when there is no power/aircon.

The temperature on board can rise dramatically fast even when it is not particularly warm outside.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:38 am

Programs: FT
wonderful. people complaining about something that takes about a second to do.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by mkjr
wonderful. people complaining about something that takes about a second to do.
And its not like you'll be disembarking once the aircraft is docked at the gate anyway. You still have to wait for the jetbridge to connect, doors to open and the premium cabins do disembark first. You'll be spending more time doing the above than closing the window blinds.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:28 am

I was on a KA pvg to hkg flight big delay for like 4 hours so we arrive at hkg 1 am, the ISM did have an announcement that request passenger to close the shades as they leave the plane to "KEEP THE PLANE COOL".

From what i can tell most people didnt we all just left
Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:31 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
I only heard that once. That was a month ago. Perhaps I never paid attention to what the ISM said after landing.

I was in H and nobody was in K. I did close the blinds that time.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:33 am

Got that announcement on 10/6. But it was a cloudy day with rain.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:39 pm

Programs: Qantas Club PS + bar, CX Riffraff, Krisflyer Balsa
Got the shades request on terminating from FCO at HK (B777) at 8am 6 Oct.
Maybe the craft is idle for a day so needs its holes closed?
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by Groundfeeder
Got the shades request on terminating from FCO at HK (B777) at 8am 6 Oct.
Maybe the craft is idle for a day so needs its holes closed?
It musnt have. Those frames prob went off to SEA or japan of some sorts

I flew just before the 1/oct hols n heard it. I would donit hv i had access but i hate window seats...
Old Oct 10, 2015, 3:30 am

Heard it this morning 777 from EU (cloudy day in HK and not particularly hot). Didn't see any PAX doing it.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 1:05 am
Suspended

Programs: AA & SPG Plat
Had the announcement on my 716 last week despite landing near midnight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.