Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX is considering flying to London Gatwick (LGW)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP (OW Emerald)

I received a survey through CX Insights about CX new routes.

Specifically, it is asking opinions on if CX starts flying to LGW etc.

Did anyone else receive the same survey?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:58 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mleung89
I received a survey through CX Insights about CX new routes.

Specifically, it is asking opinions on if CX starts flying to LGW etc.

Did anyone else receive the same survey?
i did- i said im not sure if i'd pick it and the questionaire ended there
Old Aug 17, 2015, 3:02 am
Original Poster

It did ask you if you are going to London for leisure and/or business, would you consider flying to LGW and why. There are reasons such as cost to/from airport, proximity to home/family/office etc.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 3:16 am
Suspended

and if i were to pick, i dont see a valid reason to pick LGW over LHR - unless you need a airport transfer due to BA intra-EU network...
Old Aug 17, 2015, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
CX is considering to fly to London Gatwick (LGW)

Don't gainsay LGW. In addition to opening up connection opportunities to European destinations BA don't serve from LHR, it can be less troublesome to get to/from than LHR. Train connections from central London are a lot better between the Express from Victoria and the Thameslink -- about the same time as a minicab to LHR (or lugging your baggage to Paddington and then taking Heathrow Express or Connect) and a lot cheaper.

The bigger picture of course is that CX must be wondering if LGW would be worthwhile to get a sixth frequency to London since slots at LHR are so hard to come by.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 6:29 am

Do people still use London to connect these days? Heathrow isn't an ideal airport to transfer, and to connect to the rest of Europe. There are other OW hubs that can give an easier experience (HEL) and more breadth (DOH). If it is end-point traffic, then LGW would be a great choice.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 7:04 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by kaka
and if i were to pick, i dont see a valid reason to pick LGW over LHR - unless you need a airport transfer due to BA intra-EU network...
As for myself, I could well consider flying xxx - HKG - LGW - MCO (Orlando, FL) with CX/BA rather than transfer at JFK and endure US immigration before the final destination.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 7:50 am

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
LGW would be interesting...

But surely a 6x daily at LHR is more appealing for CX? They have cargo only flights which could be swapped for passenger flights if they want more slots to LHR.

LGW may present some opportunities such as some limited connections with BA and attractiveness for people going to South UK. But isn't that market limited?

HKG-LGW has not had a good track record: HX flew all J and it failed, Oasis flew low-cost and it failed...

Other Asian carriers also struggle at LGW. KE and CA removed their LGW frequencies. QR has abandoned plans to launch LGW and Vietnam Airlines moved to LHR as soon as it could...
Old Aug 17, 2015, 8:03 am
Original Poster

I thought the current CX237 slot is taken from CX cargo flights.

I thought that's the reason why CX237 (00:20 HKG redeye departure) do not operate daily, other days it operates as CX239 (12:20 HKG midday departure)
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Originally Posted by mleung89
I thought the current CX237 slot is taken from CX cargo flights.

I thought that's the reason why CX237 (00:20 HKG redeye departure) do not operate daily, other days it operates as CX239 (12:20 HKG midday departure)
Well CX still have dedicated cargo flights by freighters to LHR and serve HKG, DEL, MXP, BOM and CDG
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:21 am

I thought the slot is from NZ?

I concur that LGW is no difference from LHR for going into the London city. Save as the lounge, i am indifferent betweem LHR amd LGW. Further LGW offers some extra BA connection which has less/no frequency at LHR.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:33 am

No other airline has been able to make LGW work to/from the East so I don't know if CX is smart thinking they might be different. I suppose it is a quicker/cheaper way of getting another London flight, and loads might be OK on an A350.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:07 am
Suspended

How has the pricing between NRT and HND been?
Is the latter more expensive? Or do most of the time they work out all the same give or take? And then there's all those exJpn promotions too....
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Originally Posted by CX828
Other Asian carriers also struggle at LGW. KE and CA removed their LGW frequencies. QR has abandoned plans to launch LGW and Vietnam Airlines moved to LHR as soon as it could...
Originally Posted by phol
No other airline has been able to make LGW work to/from the East so I don't know if CX is smart thinking they might be different
Emirates only has three daily A380 flights into LGW. So yes, they really must be struggling and failing to make LGW work.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

All in all lgw yields are thinner... If headibg towards east london/cwharf ure better off with a trnsit into lcy...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.