Search

Multi-leg Baggage Allowance

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2015, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Multi-leg Baggage Allowance

Hello

CASE 1

A single PNR for 2-leg route with long-haul AAA-BBB in J connecting directly to short-haul BBB-CCC in Y.

.... I understand from published policy that the J baggage allowance will apply automatically for both legs.

CASE 2

Separate PNRs for each leg on same carrier (CX) with long-haul AAA-BBB in J connecting directly to short-haul BBB-CCC in Y.

.... From experience, although the tickets were purchased separately, at check-in for the long-haul leg with baggage checked-through to CCC the J baggage allowance will normally apply to both legs.

CASE 3

At check-in the PNR is only for long-haul AAA-BBB in J, and the short-haul connecting flight BBB-CCC in Y is not purchased/ticketed until after arrival in BBB (but departs same day, so no stop-over).

.... In this situation, will the long-haul (AAA-BBB) J baggage allowance still apply for the same-day short-haul flight (BBB-CCC) in Y only purchased after arrival in BBB?

Thank you
Old Aug 16, 2015, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Sorry.. but all these AAA , BBB and CCC makes no sense (to me anyway). You either fill in with the destinations (as NA places have different baggage allowances) or else we can't help you.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Hi Guy Betsy

Thanks for responding.

My point was to isolate the subtle difference in each of the 3 cases -- in particular the effect in #3 of purchasing the short-haul leg *after* arrival from the long-haul leg.

I am aware that North America has piece system and thus different allowances than other origins, but it doesn't affect the salient issue about purchase of the second leg upon arrival (#3) versus two PNRs for both legs checked-in together (#2) versus normal case of single PNR with 2 legs (#1).

In all cases the question is whether the J allowance from the long-haul --- regardless of whatever that allowance happens to be -- applies to the connecting short-haul flight ... And in particular if there is any difference due solely to the timing of the purchase of the short-haul connection.

But if you need a concrete example to clarify, let's say YYZ-HKG-SIN -- specifically, with YYZ-HKG in J as the only ticket at check-in, and after arrival at HKG one purchases a HKG-SIN ticket in Y departing same day.

Which of the following is the correct assessment for the luggage allowance on HKG-SIN in Y, departing same day but purchased after arrival from YYZ-HKG in J?

(i) The J allowance for North America
(ii) The J allowance for Asia
(iii) The Y allowance for North America
(iv) The Y allowance for Asia

Thank you.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 11:30 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
If it's separate TKTs the long-haul or whatever bag allowance from the previous ticket doesn't get carried over anyway. You can try to ask the check-in agent given that you are leaving on the same day, but there's no guarantee. I think that's all we can say.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.