Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Peninsula HKG lounge catering contract not renewed, Plaza Premium replacement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:26 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member

國泰貴賓候機室與半島結束18年合作關係
http://s.nextmedia.com/realtime/a.ph...647&a=54000643

國泰機場貴賓室轉手管理 340員工料受影響
http://hk.on.cc/hk/bkn/cnt/news/2015...4e3deb1e7f4fac

Existing contract will run to 30 Apr 16.

My money is on Plaza Premium taking over all five lounges.

Last edited by percysmith; Jul 21, 2015 at 9:11 pm
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Percy, could you remind me/us which of the existing lounges are HKSH ("Peninsula Consulting" or whatever they call it), Plaza Premium, or other? IIRC at least one is already Plaza Premium, no?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:44 am
Original Poster

AFAIK Pier Wing and Cabin are Penn, Bridge and Arrival Plaza Premium.

Last edited by percysmith; Jul 21, 2015 at 8:59 am
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: CX Marco Polo Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold
I simply do not understand what CX management is thinking. Catering in J is already getting worse, with continental breakfast being introduced on long haul flights such as DOH-HKG.

Now, the lounge contract with Peninsula is not renewed. I think all these cost cutting measures are just turning loyal customers away. CX just knows how to charge a premium but provides sub-par services.

CX's management needs to wake up! They are destroying the brand which has been famous in the world in the past 60+ years.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Well maybe they're getting MO to do the catering. Or LSG. Or even Accor from the QF lounge.

But other FTers/hongkongcard.comer have also suggested CDC or Maxims. Maybe we're lucky to have PPL.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 9:09 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Yes, I'll be happy with MO (or their own brands, Upper House etc). But realistically, as well as we know CX, the chance is pretty slim...
Old Jul 21, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
I must say the standards have declined a lot - the F lounge 10 years ago served better food than the F lounge now (I'm referring specifically to the Wing). The Wing serves canteen level food - boring and uninspired and repetitive.

I now go to the QF lounge when I'm in HKG. Much better salads which show some thought having gone into it. CX's salads are just sad pieces of vegetables. BA recently served a Peking duck salad with baby asparagus spears and cucumber - and another salad with gorgeous Japanese style soft-boiled eggs.

Now that CX are dropping Peninsula, I'm hoping for an improvement in food quality but I'm not hopeful. The Bridge does quite good main courses and I'll be quite happy if PP takes over...

Is CX on a race to the bottom? Or perhaps they want to align the quality of their food inflight with the level in the lounges?

Last edited by Psychiatrist; Jul 21, 2015 at 9:04 pm Reason: QF lounge, not BA lounge!
Old Jul 21, 2015, 9:45 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

The pier f is very nice if uve had a chance. And it says peninsula catering at the bottom of the menu.
Otoh, wing f haven is crap w terrible staffing. Table next to me n myself were both complaining the lack of water whilst seated!
Old Jul 21, 2015, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Actually Swire Hotels will be good too...but fat chance
Old Jul 21, 2015, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
I must say the standards have declined a lot - the F lounge 10 years ago served better food than the F lounge now (I'm referring specifically to the Wing). The Wing serves canteen level food - boring and uninspired and repetitive.

I now go to the BA lounge when I'm in HKG. Much better salads which show some thought having gone into it. CX's salads are just sad pieces of vegetables. BA recently served a Peking duck salad with baby asparagus spears and cucumber - and another salad with gorgeous Japanese style soft-boiled eggs.

Now that CX are dropping Peninsula, I'm hoping for an improvement in food quality but I'm not hopeful. The Bridge does quite good main courses and I'll be quite happy if PP takes over...

Is CX on a race to the bottom? Or perhaps they want to align the quality of their food inflight with the level in the lounges?
You probably mean QF lounge, there is no BA lounge in HKG.
The issue is not really who will be the next caterer (Penn might bid too), but whether CX plans to further reduce its lounge budget.
As mentioned by others, the food offering in the F lounge has also gone down. Not tremendously, but significantly in many details.
There is always a "bore" factor when one uses the same lounge repeatedly, but with a reduced budget, there is that much that a caterer can do.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:02 am
Suspended

Tbh i dont get why pier and wing f are so different at this point if both = pen. Unless if cx decides on the menu.... Then i dont get why cant they both do the same thing
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by brunos
There is always a "bore" factor when one uses the same lounge repeatedly, but with a reduced budget, there is that much that a caterer can do.
Unless what qrc said ytd was right (pier is just hving a honeymoon period), i dont understand why the difference in lounge offerings... Perhaps it IS turning into a CCR style lounge..!
Given that the caterer is the same at pier n wing!
Old Jul 21, 2015, 4:16 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
"Peninsula" is just a name. It is the budget and instructions that they have to work with that determines the quality. The Bridge is better than The Wing so I'm happy to see peninsula gone.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 5:15 pm

Programs: CX DM, QF PL
Originally Posted by lesteryen
I simply do not understand what CX management is thinking. Catering in J is already getting worse, with continental breakfast being introduced on long haul flights such as DOH-HKG.

Now, the lounge contract with Peninsula is not renewed. I think all these cost cutting measures are just turning loyal customers away. CX just knows how to charge a premium but provides sub-par services.

CX's management needs to wake up! They are destroying the brand which has been famous in the world in the past 60+ years.
Funny how quickly people jump to conclusions. CX has just started a massive lounge inprovement programme incl HNd, BKK, MNL and the pier with LON, YVR and TPe to come. Noodle bars in each and better food in the pier. Why assume the Pen deal relates to cost cutting?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 5:24 pm
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by sxc
"Peninsula" is just a name. It is the budget and instructions that they have to work with that determines the quality. The Bridge is better than The Wing so I'm happy to see peninsula gone.
The strange thing is - the pier is now so good why cant they run it at the wing too?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.