HKG-SFO, CX vs. JL

Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

HKG-SFO, CX vs. JL

Hello, I recently booked an award ticket with AA miles for CX872 (HKG-SFO) in F. Now it seems that there are available F seats in JL002, so I could switch to HKG-HND-SFO (CX542+JL002). I was wondering which one is a better product overall? Should I switch to JL? Thanks a lot!
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:33 pm

Programs: HH G, MR/SPG G, IHG Plat, Club Carlson G, National Exec
Both CX and JL F are top notch, but in this particular case, I would definitely stick with CX. JL 2 (as well as the returning JL 1) is a late-night departure with diminished catering (a light meal after take off, presumably giving passengers more time to sleep, and then a breakfast before landing), whereas on the LAX, ORD and JFK flights ex-NRT, JL serve a full meal after take off with a Wagyu Beef choice of entree for F pax. You may compare the SFO and LAX menus to see the difference:
JL 2: http://www.jal.co.jp/inflight/inter/...506_201508.pdf
JL 62: http://www.jal.co.jp/inflight/inter/...506_201508.pdf

I only had caviar after take off when I flew CX872 recently, having had a proper meal in The Wing, but got to enjoy the full meal service before landing (breakfast at 9 pm local time seemed weird to me). This would not be an option on JL 2.

Last edited by moler; Jul 14, 2015 at 8:40 pm
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moler
Both CX and JL F are top notch, but in this particular case, I would definitely stick with CX. JL 2 (as well as the returning JL 1) is a late-night departure with diminished catering (a light meal after take off, presumably giving passengers more time to sleep, and then a breakfast before landing), whereas on the LAX, ORD and JFK flights ex-NRT, JL serve a full meal after take off with a Wagyu Beef choice of entree for F pax. You may compare the SFO and LAX menus to see the difference:
JL 2: http://www.jal.co.jp/inflight/inter/...506_201508.pdf
JL 62: http://www.jal.co.jp/inflight/inter/...506_201508.pdf

I only had caviar after take off when I flew CX872 recently, having had a proper meal in The Wing, but got to enjoy the full meal service before landing (breakfast at 9 pm local time seemed weird to me). This would not be an option on JL 2.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience, moler! :-)
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:50 pm

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Originally Posted by bartjoy
Hello, I recently booked an award ticket with AA miles for CX872 (HKG-SFO) in F. Now it seems that there are available F seats in JL002, so I could switch to HKG-HND-SFO (CX542+JL002). I was wondering which one is a better product overall? Should I switch to JL? Thanks a lot!
You haven't told us the key determinant, which is whether you're trying to get from A to B in the quickest time possible in F, or whether you are trying to extract maximum value from an F experience. If time is not an issue, I frankly think that the JL F experience is a notch above, particularly for food presentation and quality. You can also check out the small but exceptionally retro-cool HND F lounge.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Too much travel
You haven't told us the key determinant, which is whether you're trying to get from A to B in the quickest time possible in F, or whether you are trying to extract maximum value from an F experience. If time is not an issue, I frankly think that the JL F experience is a notch above, particularly for food presentation and quality. You can also check out the small but exceptionally retro-cool HND F lounge.
Thanks so much for replying! Time is not an issue for me. I've never flown CX or JL in F so either one would be a new experience for me. I was just wondering which one is more worth trying
Old Jul 14, 2015, 9:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bartjoy
Thanks so much for replying! Time is not an issue for me. I've never flown CX or JL in F so either one would be a new experience for me. I was just wondering which one is more worth trying
im also for the JL + CX option. given that its CX isnt as good as they used to be, the light meals in JL are also very good (without the pretentious factor too)

btw, take the morning CX ex HND flight - this one is catered ex HND, the pm flight caters ex HKG
Old Jul 14, 2015, 10:59 pm

Programs: WS Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by kaka
btw, take the morning CX ex HND flight - this one is catered ex HND, the pm flight caters ex HKG
OP is flying the other direction.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
JL F is not full service F on HNDSFO there's not a full meal service as there is on other JL F flights. There's a big thread about it on the JL page (I would link if I wasn't in my phone) that you should read for experiences. For that reason alone I would say to go with CX.

The seats on both are quite nice (though JL center seats are better for talking) but the pajamas on CX are better. I've flown both this year and I rank JL slightly higher with the exception of the flight in question (though I did SFOHND in J and it was fine but my primary goal was sleeping, not maximizing the experience).

If it was an NRTUSA flight on JL that would be a different story but for HNDSFO it's not worth the extra stop and time.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TheGreatTree
OP is flying the other direction.
then all is taken equal. at least OP can try the ex HKG kaiseki meal. which you cant try with the SFO direct. i personally am all for the 1 stop.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply guys! How's the food spread in HND lounge? If I could get a full stomach in the lounge I wouldn't mind a late night snack on the flight.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:51 am
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

I think theres a sushi bar. Pretty impressive tgere tbh
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:53 am
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

Sorry- sushi at nrt
http://press.jal.co.jp/en/release/201408/003060.html
Wide selection of decent lounge champers n sake
Old Jul 15, 2015, 5:51 am
formerly ssw207

Programs: BAGld, JLJGC, TK*G, EK-G, HH Dia,IHG Amb-PE, Bonvoy Gd, Shangrila DM
Originally Posted by kaka
then all is taken equal. at least OP can try the ex HKG kaiseki meal. which you cant try with the SFO direct. i personally am all for the 1 stop.
I suggest the OP to sample the Japanese meal on JL ex-HND. The ex-HKG Kaiseki meal is much worse.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.