Search

Advice needed: CX or SQ in Y?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2015, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite, LH FTL
Advice needed: CX or SQ in Y?

Dear all,

I'm planning to travel from FRA to MNL and back from CEB in mid-June. My choices are either SQ 25/910 and SQ 5477/26 or CX 288/907 and CX 926/289 in coach. I have *A Gold status with TK and no status at all with OW. The flight times with CX are significantly better and I realize I don't have much a chance for an upgrade with either airline, but at least *A should give me access to the lounges in FRA and SIN, as well as priority check-in. I have never flown CX and it has been more than a decade since my last flight with SQ, so I'm wondering how you would rate the seat, IFE and service in coach on both airlines, since I assume this will be the decisive factor.

Thanks for any hints and happy skies!
Arnur
Old May 31, 2015, 2:30 am

I would go SQ
CX Y only beats it for IFE
not being a MPC SL or above you would not get access to lounges ( CX much better)

stick with your alliance!

unless you really really care about the timing...
Old May 31, 2015, 2:58 am

If hot towel and good IFE (plus lounge access?) is something that you value alot, then SQ should be your choice.
Old May 31, 2015, 5:10 am

Programs: CX-DM, BA-GGL, Marriott-TI, HHonors-DM
SQ5477 is Silkair codeshare so you won't get *A miles unless you are w/ SQ's FFP (KrisFlyer). No miles will go to TK.
Old May 31, 2015, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite, LH FTL
Originally Posted by hermanc
SQ5477 is Silkair codeshare so you won't get *A miles unless you are w/ SQ's FFP (KrisFlyer). No miles will go to TK.
Thanks, I realize that. I don't need the miles, I'm mostly interested in the on-board experience in coach on either airline.
Old May 31, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Well unless the OP is booking a flexi fare, SQ isn't really an mile earning airline.
Old May 31, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
I merged the cross-posted threads, and deleted comments on cross-posting. Thanks...

cxfan1960
CX CoMod/SQ Mod
Old May 31, 2015, 8:20 pm

If you need bigger baggage allowance, go for SQ. Also, the food on the long-haul sector on SQ would be more satisfying than that on CX.

If you want to choose your flights based on the in-flight experience alone, you may even want to consider Emirates.
Old May 31, 2015, 9:19 pm

Programs: asia miles
Even if SQ is not anymore what it used to be, I would fly SQ Y anydays compare to CX
Old Jun 1, 2015, 12:07 am

Always fly where you have status, if only for the lounge and check-in.

Both CX's and SQ's Y are some of the best around, so I can't see any advantage flying CX (other than timing, as you mentioned). You can end up on an old rig on CX to MNL as well. Been there. Go for SQ!
Old Jun 1, 2015, 12:39 am

Y is Y...not much diff between the two I would imagine. I've flown both in Y and CX in business and I would choose based on departure and transit times. Also, I much prefer Changi to the soulless Chek Lap Kok airport so SQ would get the nod. (And those Singapore Girls really know how to fill-out those cheosams they wear.)
Old Jun 1, 2015, 4:26 pm

Programs: CX DM
Nor lounge access at Changi for the onward Silkair leg. Personally, I find IFE, food and in-flight experience is generally slightly better on SQ in Y, although I have noticed there have been cutbacks in food vs. a year ago.

But timing on a long haul is always a consideration so it's really up to how one chooses the trade-offs.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 4:27 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by alphaod
Well unless the OP is booking a flexi fare, SQ isn't really an mile earning airline.
CX is even worse.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 7:13 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
Both are excellent for Y. Choose whatever is going to get you the best benefits which seems to be SQ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.