Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Launch of alphanumeric passwords for greater security

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 9:04 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member

http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...w.php?id=15004
http://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/about...0007d21c39RCRD

Here at Asia Miles, we constantly strive for service excellence. For this reason, we have launched alphanumeric passwords to enhance the security of our member accounts.

New passwords should be a minimum of 8 characters, including at least one upper-case letter, one number, and one special character chosen from ! $ ^ and .
I've tried it

New password works with Moneyback delink and link
They've eliminated checking miles by phone PIN

Changing from the MPO end also updates the AM password.

Last edited by percysmith; May 27, 2015 at 9:56 pm
Old May 28, 2015, 1:25 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
About freaking time. Now they just need to add U2F support or something.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/news/a...50623/19194667

- Alphanumeric passwords said to become compulsory from today

- *all* online redemptions need to use OTP

But I've just tested some family members accounts' who have yet to change over, not yet.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Apple mentioned this is out of CX World - I don't see the two bullet point measures in the article tho

http://downloads.cathaypacific.com/c...30b.pdf#page=4
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:37 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I like the OTP requirement now.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 12:56 am

Programs: CX SL
Well I was asked to change my PW upon logging in today.

I like this change. But what I don't like is that they do not accept @ as a special character. Why not just use a common standard?
Old Jun 24, 2015, 1:36 am

Programs: CX Marco Polo Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold
CX's IT is absolutely rubbish.

I have changed the password last night and when I clicked the submit button, I have received an error message on the page which I input my new password.

Then, I tried resubmitting the new password again and still received the error message on the page.

I closed the Marco Polo Club page and then I tried logging in the Marco Polo Club using the new password after 15 minutes, and it worked fine.

However, when I tried logging into my account this morning using the new password, I was unable to do so.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: CX Marco Polo Club, Virgin Flying Club
A minimum of 8 characters including at least one upper case letter, one number, and one special character chosen from ! $ ^ and *.
This seems excessive to me. I just spent about 5 minutes trying to devise an acceptable password and entering it twice the same. And I have to enter this on my phone to use their Mobile app?

Last edited by Gweilo; Jun 24, 2015 at 9:42 am Reason: Stupid smilies
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG/Marriott PLT
I was in the new password setup page. Entered something like "ABCDabab123$%" It shows a green colour and when I confirm it shows an error and wouldn't let me proceed.... Rubbish.
And now I'm completely locked out. Can't login with my old password. can't create a new one. what do I do ?
Old Jun 24, 2015, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gweilo
A minimum of 8 characters including at least one upper case letter, one number, and one special character chosen from ! $ ^ and *.
This seems excessive to me. I just spent about 5 minutes trying to devise an acceptable password and entering it twice the same. And I have to enter this on my phone to use their Mobile app?
CX app can retain password.

AM app cannot
Old Jun 24, 2015, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by greasy
I was in the new password setup page. Entered something like "ABCDabab123$%" It shows a green colour and when I confirm it shows an error and wouldn't let me proceed.... Rubbish.
And now I'm completely locked out. Can't login with my old password. can't create a new one. what do I do ?
Can't you receive an OTP in your email?

If your email address is wrong, call them. I did for a classmate.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG/Marriott PLT
Need help.
I'm at the password reset page, and no matter what I put in as the new password I'm getting this error message.
"Your preferred password is invalid. Please enter again with a password with a minimum of 8 characters including at least one upper case letter, one number, and one special character chosen from ! $ ^ and *."

I tried with short and long, up and small, numbers, characters, combinations of everything and for the love of god the system just wouldn't accept my new password !

Anyone facing the same trouble ??
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:15 pm

Programs: CX DM, UA Prem Plat
I am a DM member for many years now. I have encountered "change your password" page but unfortunately get an error page when I tried to enter the new password (tried and encountered this error page many times now). So, I cannot even login to CX Marco Polo page now. The error page tells me to call Marco Polo club for assistance. Unfortunately, the phone is not going through at all.

It is disappointing that the CX IT department is so weak. I remember that their new web site makeover always have some issues and now this...

Last edited by aeroflyer88; Jun 24, 2015 at 10:25 pm
Old Jun 25, 2015, 3:00 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
I was able to change my password yesterday morning but when I tried logging in after lunch, I got an Invalid Password error, after several attempts I gave up and requested for a password reset...when I got to the page I tried using the new password I created this morning but got a message saying, the password I am nominating is identical to my current password. As to why I couldn't log in...no one knows...so I used a new password instead.

Everything was fine until today after lunch (again) when Im supposed to do OLCI on a flight for Saturday...I couldn't log in again and the system said invalid password...I tried to reset after many failed attempts and still got the same message about my new nominated password is identical to my current password...which is weird because if the system recognizes it...how is it that Im not able to log in?
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:38 pm

This password security thingy that requires the use of not just alpha numeric but also SYMBOLS is frankly a bit of an overkill.

Even banks' online banking don't require symbols!

Wonder what made CX swing the pendulum too far, requiring OTP for redemptions for instance. Have there been many fraudulent redemptions in recent years?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.