Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

FINALLY... Wifi Reportedly Coming Next year (In 2016 to A350)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
This thread is to discuss the wi-fi experience on the A350.

Discussion on 777 / A330 retrofit is discussed in this thread:

​​​​​​​https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1877788-wi-fi-777s-a330s-2020-a.html
Print Wikipost

FINALLY... Wifi Reportedly Coming Next year (In 2016 to A350)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:07 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
Any idea what the data speeds are like? Assuming it isn't 4G?
It uses the same connection as the wifi so it’s about the same.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Wow, seriously?! So the way I can connect to it is just turn on my cellular signal?
Yeah. Its automatic, as I found out yesterday when I forgot to turn the phone off and began getting messages.

I tried booking a flight on laptop while on inflight wifi, and the CX booking engine was blocked by the system. hahaha.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by sxc
Yes but be careful as to how your phone plan charges you. CSL in HK has a "day roaming pass" so it ends up about the same cost as paying for wifi, however I'm not sure how other telcos charge.
Originally Posted by Jane's Addiction
Yeah. Its automatic, as I found out yesterday when I forgot to turn the phone off and began getting messages.

I tried booking a flight on laptop while on inflight wifi, and the CX booking engine was blocked by the system. hahaha.
Thank you both for the advice. This is simply fantastic.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:14 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Thank you both for the advice. This is simply fantastic.
I'm not sure if mobile phone hotspot will work if connecting this way. In theory it should.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by sxc
I'm not sure if mobile phone hotspot will work if connecting this way. In theory it should.
This is what I want to know also. My telco’s data roaming rate is cheaper that the onboard wifi.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: FB Gold
I flew on the 15h+ flight from EWR-HKG last week and thought the Wifi was a godsend, given that I didn't care for the IFE selection. 20$ well-spent......cuz I usually start getting bored by about the 7th hour.

The connectivity can be spotty sometimes though. ex-HKG the Wifi didn't work for the first couple hours but then suddenly it started working again, go figure.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: CX, Hyatt
Originally Posted by PacificSunrise
Wifi also didn't work on a recent transpacific flight. Had paid the entire flight package and after a few minutes it went down. ISM filed report for refund.
Reporting back that it has been refunded by Panasonic Aero - leaving contacts here for FTers' future reference: +1 855-752-0055 or [email protected]
QRC3288 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mlin32
I flew on the 15h+ flight from EWR-HKG last week and thought the Wifi was a godsend, given that I didn't care for the IFE selection. 20$ well-spent......cuz I usually start getting bored by about the 7th hour.

The connectivity can be spotty sometimes though. ex-HKG the Wifi didn't work for the first couple hours but then suddenly it started working again, go figure.
I found it rather stupid for CX for price wifi same rate for ultra shout haul, medium haul and ultra long haul.

How justify would someone pay the $20 for maybe 2 hour usage on their regional A350 flights?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: CX
Originally Posted by Ausriver
I found it rather stupid for CX for price wifi same rate for ultra shout haul, medium haul and ultra long haul.

How justify would someone pay the $20 for maybe 2 hour usage on their regional A350 flights?
I thought its $12 for < 6hr flights?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:00 pm

It's not the same price. They have two rates (at least that I've seen), one for longhaul and one for shorthaul.

Of course, when it comes to short haul the value is definitely best on the longer short-haul flights like SIN, CGK, or if 35G is rostered, Japan. TPE is priced the same as those and obviously much shorter. I suspect the same for MNL but haven't flown there lately.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL

From CX's website:
  • For flights of 6 hours or less at USD12.95
  • For flights above 6 hours at USD19.95
  • One hour continuous use on all flights at USD9.95
Old Feb 7, 2018, 6:04 am
kkl

If I have 2 connecting A350 flights, can 1 package last for both flights?
Old Feb 7, 2018, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by kkl
If I have 2 connecting A350 flights, can 1 package last for both flights?
Do you mean 2 connecting flights that are the same flight #, aka CX to Japan via Taiwan, Singapore via BKK, etc.? Or do you mean two totally separate flights?

For the second question above, I think the answer is "no". But for my first question, I'm actually not sure either. CX charges "by flight" but I wonder what happens when the same flight is tagged to an onward destination.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 7:57 am
kkl

Do you mean 2 connecting flights that are the same flight #, aka CX to Japan via Taiwan, Singapore via BKK, etc.? Or do you mean two totally separate flights?

For the second question above, I think the answer is "no". But for my first question, I'm actually not sure either. CX charges "by flight" but I wonder what happens when the same flight is tagged to an onward destination.
PER-HKG-BKK

sorry for not being clear.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by kkl
PER-HKG-BKK

sorry for not being clear.
For your itinerary, almost certainly "no". You'll have to buy separate.

Does anyone know the answer to other hypothetical situation though? What if CX flies A359 HKG-TPE-NGO? You know the flights with the same flight #?

I guess this already happens HKG-BKK-SIN / SIN/BKK-HKG-BKK-HKG.

Would these flights accept a single WiFi purchase?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.