Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

FINALLY... Wifi Reportedly Coming Next year (In 2016 to A350)

FINALLY... Wifi Reportedly Coming Next year (In 2016 to A350)

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 12, 18, 4:00 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: sxc
Wiki Link
This thread is to discuss the wi-fi experience on the A350.

Discussion on 777 / A330 retrofit is discussed in this thread:

​​​​​​​https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...0s-2020-a.html
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 13, 15, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, GP Courtesy Card, Marriott LTPP
I really think the way of the future of AVOD systems is wifi streaming solutions... It's much cheaper for airlines to outfit a streaming solution and tell everyone to use their own phones or tablets for entertainment on the plane, especially in Y, than installing video screens and equipment.. Maybe even extra revenue for renting out tablets... the cost and weight savings alone should be an incentive for CX and other airlines to implement...
Old Jul 13, 15, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by tfung View Post
I really think the way of the future of AVOD systems is wifi streaming solutions... It's much cheaper for airlines to outfit a streaming solution and tell everyone to use their own phones or tablets for entertainment on the plane, especially in Y, than installing video screens and equipment.. Maybe even extra revenue for renting out tablets... the cost and weight savings alone should be an incentive for CX and other airlines to implement...
A hard line cable with 50MB bandwidth has a hard time keeping up with 50 people trying to watch video at the same time. I really doubt 200-300 people plane this will be a good solution. The idea is great but the technology is not there yet.
Old Jul 13, 15, 5:34 pm

Programs: CX DM, SPG GO
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy View Post
A hard line cable with 50MB bandwidth has a hard time keeping up with 50 people trying to watch video at the same time. I really doubt 200-300 people plane this will be a good solution. The idea is great but the technology is not there yet.
I believe he meant streaming from the plane itself.
Old Jul 13, 15, 7:27 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
It is indeed cheaper but in no way is it more convenient, at least for me, it's much better to have an actual fitted screen to watch rather than have to hold or angle a tablet somewhere.
Silkair have this system and while it works ok on short flights, I would hate it on long haul, it doesn't really scream "premium" carrier does it? it's cheap and feels cheap.
Old Apr 20, 16, 12:02 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Depends
Wifi coming 1 June

【飛機上網】國泰首推空中WiFi
全程155蚊
http://s.nextmedia.com/realtime/a.ph...342&a=55010889
Old Apr 20, 16, 2:40 pm

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, MU Pt
So only on the A350?
Old Apr 20, 16, 2:48 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
Wifi coming 1 June

【飛機上網】國泰首推空中WiFi
全程155蚊
http://s.nextmedia.com/realtime/a.ph...342&a=55010889
Source of Apple Daily's report: http://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-pacif...on-airbus-a350
Old Apr 20, 16, 5:41 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM
Finally and I cannot believe they introduce it so many years after SIN
Old Apr 20, 16, 6:27 pm

US$10/hour or US$20/flight. DMs to get vouchers for free access. I guess F and J might get vouchers too?

Nothing about data caps, I guess speed might be slow so maybe data caps are irrelevant. Still, better than SQ A380s where you can rack up massive bills if you use too much data.

And no wifi over China of course.

I wouldn't use it on every flight but it would be good to have it available when there's urgent work to be done. Earlier this year, my fantasy sport league draft happened while I was in the air - I would've paid much more than US$20 to get internet access that day.

Last edited by lionelhutz; Apr 20, 16 at 6:33 pm
Old Apr 20, 16, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
So only on the A350?
Yep.
Old Apr 20, 16, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
US$10/hour or US$20/flight. DMs to get vouchers for free access. I guess F and J might get vouchers too?
Note that the report doesn't say DMs will get vouchers, only that "Vouchers will also be issued to selected travellers a group expected to include top-tier members of the Marco Polo Club frequent flyer scheme" (italics mine, for emphasis).
Old Apr 21, 16, 2:05 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: CX MPC Silver
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy View Post
Originally Posted by chfshifter View Post
I believe he meant streaming from the plane itself.
Philippine Airlines have been doing this for quite sometime already with some of their planes. These planes weren't equipped with screens. You need to download an app to your tablet and access their entertainment from there. But I haven't tried this yet.
Old Apr 21, 16, 3:01 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Depends
AVOD Wifi Streaming solutions: We got it in LAN Argentina domestic

http://first2board.com/wanderlusty/2...efore-you-fly/

We couldn't download it on our iOS devices because we failed to do so before leaving the ground, so we were able to watch it on our Androids only who can download the app directly off the aircraft's NAS server.

I just used it as a moving map. Couldn't figure out how to get English programming and wanted to sleep anyway.

---

But I don't think CX/KA are moving this way. Even A321s have IFEs.

Last edited by percysmith; Apr 21, 16 at 3:08 am
Old Apr 21, 16, 3:01 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
If true, and CX offers to DM, that'd be another appreciated gesture. Especially if Wifi rolled out across the fleet beyond the A350s.

Indeed, you could add up the value of "I need wifi xx per year, hence I'd pay $xx per year". But there is something about just having it there for free, say maybe I'd use it and fool around even if I didn't totally need it, which to me makes the gesture even more valuable than the incremental dollars I'd spend. Just my opinion.
Old Apr 21, 16, 9:26 am

Exclamation

Originally Posted by hphreak View Post
Hm. Mixed feelings about this. Personally would not use it just because it's one of the few places where I can truly unplug (whether you want to or not)...
yep, second that! and not much older! ha...

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: