Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2015, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: maortega15
This is a thread to discuss rumours / potential new routes for Cathay Pacific to fly to.

Current speculation:
Print Wikipost

New route speculation for Cathay

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
Airbus says in their slideshow last week that the 1000 can fly HKG-MIA with 366 passengers and bags (with an unknown margin on top of that). Since CX has only 334, that's immediately a full load plus at least 3t of cargo possible on the route.

When CX claims there's no aircraft capable of flying it, it's nonsense. Just like QF claiming SYD-LHR isn't doable yet. Sure it is, but just not with the amount of payload they feel needs to be under the floor to make it work profitably .

The -1000 now looks like it'll be significantly more capable than the 779 in terms of range - 800nm difference won't be made up with the lower density 779 w/F. The 77H weighs more than a 77G empty, so the only payload difference will be 50-60 pax ie 5-6t or ~40mins of fuel (~350nm). If CX doesn't launch MIA with Airbus shouting it's possible on the -1000, it's only because they just don't want to.

Re: the price... I think that would be around a 17-17.5hr flight. It's essentially a flying gas tank, and I don't see how anything less than a significant premium would make MIA work.
3 tons of cargo doesn't sound like a lot... considering CX makes a lot of money from cargo. Anyone have any idea around how much weight they would have in the belly in a 77W to LHR for example?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Looks like new U.S. route(s) coming up: CX ins account just teased the following cities for speculation:

"Houston, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Honolulu, Seattle, Denver, Austin, Dallas and Miami. Where are we going next?"

A lot of the cities have been speculated before (Dallas, Miami and Seattle).
GwailoSIN and bart simpson like this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Looks like new U.S. route(s) coming up: CX ins account just teased the following cities for speculation:

"Houston, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Honolulu, Seattle, Denver, Austin, Dallas and Miami. Where are we going next?"

Selfishly, count me as rooting for HNL or SEA.

HNL would be great. Would make Hawaii vacations so much easier for those of us primarily based in HKG. You figure they have the right plane already with A359. Right now, it's essentially two connections...I've done Tokyo in the past, but I guess TPE, ICN, MNL or even mainland ports work. I can't recall the last time I stayed in HNL, so it's always a second flight which really adds to the bummer, after having already done a transit.

If CX was nonstop to HNL that would be great...and if they codeshared with HA to the other islands: spectacular.
GwailoSIN likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by andersonCooper

The three that have been speculated before make much more sense than Houston, LV and Salt Lake City...
I'd love a direct flight to HNL too. I flew via TPE on the way there on CI, but the worst part was CI didn't have a direct flight on the day of my return flight. On the return leg, I had to fly (starting in Maui) OGG–HNL–NRT–TPE–HKG. Tbh I was kind of surprised my luggage made it all the way

Edit: Where is the instagram post that teased the potential cities? Can't seem to find it
GwailoSIN likes this.

Last edited by cx4ever; Jul 17, 2018 at 10:49 pm
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti CX SL SQ KFEG
HKG LAS
was once done with SQ if I remembered correctly? in 2002?
I wonder what terminated that as I don't quite remember it, was it SARS or something else?
If it's some operational reasons, I doubt that CX will establish LAS with so many other choices listed in the instagram stories
So yea unlikely will be LAS
GwailoSIN likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:30 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, United MileagePlus Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by cx4ever
The three that have been speculated before make much more sense than Houston, LV and Salt Lake City...
I'd love a direct flight to HNL too. I flew via TPE on the way there on CI, but the worst part was CI didn't have a direct flight on the day of my return flight. On the return leg, I had to fly (starting in Maui) OGG–HNL–NRT–TPE–HKG. Tbh I was kind of surprised my luggage made it all the way

Edit: Where is the instagram post that teased the potential cities? Can't seem to find it
It’s not a post but a ‘story’ on ig:

GwailoSIN likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by xexs
HKG LAS
was once done with SQ if I remembered correctly? in 2002?
I wonder what terminated that as I don't quite remember it, was it SARS or something else?
If it's some operational reasons, I doubt that CX will establish LAS with so many other choices listed in the instagram stories
So yea unlikely will be LAS
My HK friends always prefer Macao over LV for gambling, saying LV's value is too small to have fun
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Selfishly hoping for SEA. Delta recently axed SEA-HKG, and added SEA-KIX. Not sure if it underperformed (full when I flew it but that means zippo), or the 330 deployed was wanted elsewhere. KIX being operated with 763.

Given AS feed at SEA and their partnership, that could be a plus. They'd have a monopoly on the non-stop, and depending on connection times, could suck some India traffic from EK. SEA-HKG-BOM is just a bit over 500 more miles than via DXB.

But that's just me in my armchair, pretending to be a network planner.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: AA EXP
I'd say the most plausible options would be SEA, DFW and MIA in that order.

Ultimately, I think SEA will be the new destination. Given their financial condition, my expectation is that CX will continue to be fairly conservative with new routes. SEA is a relatively short route compared to other US destinations, so it's much less of a risk financially. DL's cancellation of SEA-HKG and the CX partnership with AS makes this a no-brainer.

DFW and MIA would both be interesting additions, especially as they both serve as major gateway cities to South and Central America. I don't know how strong the O&D traffic would be from DFW or MIA, though South Florida currently has no non-stop service to Asia so it could be a big draw. Especially if MIA were to offer subsidies for CX to operate the route. That said, CX already flies LAX, which is also a (lesser) South American gateway city for LA.

The problem with DFW and MIA is they're both risky for CX. AA owns DFW and their revenue management is typically sharper than CX, so I'm not sure if yields will be good enough for CX. DFW is about the same distance as IAD, so certainly feasible with the right plane (A350, presumably). MIA is substantially longer; it would be CX's longest route by a long shot. In the absence of major subsidies from MIA, I think it would be a challenging route for CX to make money on. Unless they launched MIA as a tag flight to YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, ORD, IAD.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
FWIW, I was chatting with the ISM on a HKG-BOS or BOS-HKG at the end of 2017 (can't remember which...) and she told me that CX would be starting service to HNL soon. Make what you will of her (rather confident) declaration!
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
i dont see how HNL fit along CX model of business+cargo. forgive my ignorance but i cant see HNL anythinf other than pure Leisure route, and CX tend to shy away in those.

i wud however consider KA cud take HKG HNL route for those very reason... their A330 shud be able to fly HKG-HNL which is about 5600miles or almost identical to hkg-AKL.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by fakecd
i dont see how HNL fit along CX model of business+cargo. forgive my ignorance but i cant see HNL anythinf other than pure Leisure route, and CX tend to shy away in those.

i wud however consider KA cud take HKG HNL route for those very reason... their A330 shud be able to fly HKG-HNL which is about 5600miles or almost identical to hkg-AKL.
Agreed that the business model of CX doesn’t fit in with HNL. Leisure route with not too many premium pax. As for KA to HNL, I doubt if they could handle it with A330, given CX had never(?) deployed any to AKL.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
​​​​​Just to clarify the misconception, UPS has turned HNL into a fairly large cargo hub. HNL has a large freight facility primarily for connecting cargo but also for Hawaii and military cargo. And UPS actually flies HNL-HKG daily, and 10x weekly at peak periods with a 747 freighter. (This flight does not go in reverse... it's HNL-HKG only. UPS flies to DXB, ANC and other Asian destinations ex-HKG).

It would no doubt require extra pieces for CX to make this work. Just saying though, HNL is absolutely a cargo destination too. And there are no HKG-HNL nonstops of any kind, except for the odd United Airlines flights to/from HNL which go to Haeco for refits and overhauls.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by swingaling
Unless they launched MIA as a tag flight to YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, ORD, IAD.
Except YVR, for all other intermediate stops, CX will not have local transport right I believe.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
I think a couple of years ago KA did file the application for HKG-HNL?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.